Consoles and computers

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What with the PS2, the x-box, and the gamecube(which I own and really really enjoy)

Me and a Friend stumbled upon a possible really really good idea(if done right of course)

How about making a drive that could be external firewire(gigawire?) or internal pci(or whatever the latest internal connection is)

and would basically be a playstation 2, or an x-box, or a gamecube. as an expansion for your computer, so basically a drive that you could buy to play ps2 or gamecube on your compute exactly how it would be if it was a seperate console.

if you think about it the console(X-box in particular) is a mini computer thats focused on games.

how feasible is this to implent a drive dedicated to console gaming ?

I'm think that since the GC is essentially a PowerPc and there has been a long lasting conspiracy going about Apple and nintendos relationship, seems like a good Idea to me. it goes along with making a computer the center of your digital world

what'd you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Not very likely. Technically it is possible, but a console maker wants to sell his consoles, and the manufacturers of computers want to sell new CPUs and GPUs (including Apple). Adding a PCI-PSX to a computer would make it a closed system for games - no more hardware is sold and no more computer games. Then imagine someone hacking the PCI-PSX, so you can use copies of PSX games - not even games are sold anymore.

Commodore tried to sell the A1200 and the CD32 as a hybrid system - expand a computer to a console and vice versa. It didn't work.

The current Mac hardware and its OS are perfect for great games. Whoever wants to play console games will have to buy a console. Even with the Xbox with its PC components and APIs - you won't see Xbox emulation on PC for a long time.

Myself, I am totally happy with my Mac for work and my PS2 and DC for games. Looking forward to GameCube, though.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: FalkoL ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Actually its not so crazy; the console makers don't make any money on the consoles (rumour is that sony are actually selling at a loss in the US), they make on licensing the games and this would increase the sales of games.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by vinney57:

<strong>Actually its not so crazy; the console makers don't make any money on the consoles (rumour is that sony are actually selling at a loss in the US), they make on licensing the games and this would increase the sales of games.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Right, but selling hardware consoles guarantees some brand loyalty. If you can run any console/emulator off your mac, you can switch between brands - (like on the PC, hardware guarantees software - it's a binding investment ).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    zon7zon7 Posts: 41member
    Long life to Pippin :o