Cant update from OS10.6.3 to OS 10.6.7 help.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all

I'm having trouble with my iMac unable to install Mac OS updates and randomly freezing telling me I have to turn off and back on again.

The problem originated about 3 or 4 weeks ago. So I preformed disk utility to repair the disk form the CD. This didnt seem to solve the problem. I also tried to update OS from software update and I started getting messages saying "software update failed the necessary files could not be copied to the disk " or something to that effect.

I then decided to do a fresh re-install of the system. I zero formatted the hard drive before doing the reinstall. on reinstalling i started to get the message "software update failed the necessary files could not be copied to the disk " again.

So I took it to the apple store guineas bar where he managed to get the OS up and running from one of his network drives... all seemed well until I got it home and tried to do a software update... and back to the same old problem "software update failed the necessary files could not be copied to the disk"

I tried downloading the os update from the apple downloads page but no luck either

The computer will randomly also tell me i have to turn off the computer and back on again using the power button on the back

programs can randomly crash also... safari in particular... other programs like VLC will run fine though.

so whats wrong with my iMac... and how can I fix it??

any help much appreciated

regards

oh yea my system is

Late 2009 21.5 iMac 3.06GHz :1TB(seagate) 4gb ram

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Download the combo update directly from Apple and try that.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    strostro Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Download the combo update directly from Apple and try that.

Tried that... no luck same issue "cant copy the necessary files to your HD".... is this a hardware issue? and what can I do to find out whats wrong??
  • Reply 3 of 9
    redacted due to errors.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

redacted due to errors.

so this doesn't tell me anything about soling the problem

Any one any ideas on troubleshooting the problem I'm having??
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stro View Post

so this doesn't tell me anything about soling the problem

Any one any ideas on troubleshooting the problem I'm having??

Sorry ... I redacted my own comment because I found an error in my thought process.

In short, though, It COULD be a faulty HDD, faulty RAM, or some other hardware problem.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

In short, though, It COULD be a faulty HDD, faulty RAM, or some other hardware problem.

So any ideas on how I might narrow the problem down to one piece of hardware??
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stro View Post

So any ideas on how I might narrow the problem down to one piece of hardware??

Run Apple Hardware Test, if you have it.

Otherwise (or if that doesn't help)... start replacing things (one at a time) with known good parts.

Of course, you could always take it in to an Apple approved service tech (rather than a "genius" bar )... they might have the proper diagnostic tools to narrow it down... but you'd have to be willing to PAY them for their time if it's not warranty work.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Run Apple Hardware Test, if you have it.

Thanks for the reply... I have it and i'm trying to run it... I've got a late 2009 21.5" iMac 4G Ram and "AHT 3A202"

I put the install DVD restarted and held the "D" key

So I'm trying to run the apple hardware test but its getting stuck on 17sec... It says tis got 3min or more to run and its been going for about an hour now... is this normal??

dose any one have any experience with the Apple hardware test?? should i leave it running over night??

I guess I should move this to the hardware form... I wonder if i can do that??

Thanks in advance
  • Reply 9 of 9
    guess I should continue this over here

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...40&postcount=1