Power Mac G5 and Mac Pro -modifiable?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have recently been thinking of building a tower and installing hackintosh on it, but I am really into the power mac g5 and mac pro case design.

I was wondering, is the mac pro and power mac casing modifiable like other PC tower cases? By modifiable, I mean am I able to purchase other motherboard, cpu, graphics cards, power, etc.. and install it into the case like a normal pc tower?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Drill your own holes and anything's possible. You can tear those towers down to their bare core, yes. Fitting anything non-standard in there is your responsibility (read: you'll be making your own back panel out of a giant hole and several smaller ones).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

I have recently been thinking of building a tower and installing hackintosh on it, but I am really into the power mac g5 and mac pro case design.

I was wondering, is the mac pro and power mac casing modifiable like other PC tower cases? By modifiable, I mean am I able to purchase other motherboard, cpu, graphics cards, power, etc.. and install it into the case like a normal pc tower?

Someone on this forum did this years ago. It had some screws sticking out the side but it should be possible.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    blueeddieblueeddie Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Someone on this forum did this years ago. It had some screws sticking out the side but it should be possible.

I looked at a powermac g5 or g4 today (dont remember which one) and found out that the sockets in the back of the machine are placed vertically down a line instead of horizonatally in PCs. Is it possible to cut out the "shelves" inside the machine to fit in a motherboard and extend the ports (ports like ethernet, audio etc. that come with the motherboard) with additional wires?

getting converters isn't a problem for me since I'm currently in taiwan, and there are a lot of parts available here. but the real problem is preserving the back sockets without killing much of the design.

Just wondering, has anyone here actually done this and could tell me the difficulties that they faced?

thanks a lot.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

I looked at a powermac g5 or g4 today (dont remember which one) and found out that the sockets in the back of the machine are placed vertically down a line instead of horizonatally in PCs. ...

The design aesthetics of a Power Mac G5 are fundamentally different than those of a Power Mac G4. If you cannot remember which is which, then perhaps modifying the case is a task that you should leave to others.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    blueeddieblueeddie Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

The design aesthetics of a Power Mac G5 are fundamentally different than those of a Power Mac G4. If you cannot remember which is which, then perhaps modifying the case is a task that you should leave to others.

sorry, looked it up, it was g5. g4 is not the aluminum casing I've been craving for.