Apple updates iOS versions of iMovie, GarageBand

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple has updated iMovie for iOS devices, adding support for audio and video output via HDMI, as well as updating GarageBand for iPad with new support for AirPlay and audio file importing.

iMovie 1.2.1 for iOS

Apple states that the new iMovie update now delivers audio playback through the Apple Digital AV Adapter, and can similarly play full screen videos to an HDTV from the Marquee page.

The update also "resolves some cases of missing media in projects," "provides more accurate clip grouping by date in Video browser," "fixes an issue where a project's background music would not fade in or out," and addresses other performance and reliability issues.

iMovie for iOS debuted on iPhone 4 and the fourth generation iPod touch last summer, and was expanded for use on the new iPad 2 at its launch this spring.

GarageBand 1.2.1 for iPad

The new update for GarageBand, which was first launched alongside the iPad 2 this spring (and also works with the original iPad), brings support for audio playback via AirPlay, Bluetooth devices and to HDMI devices when using the Digital AV Adapter. External audio playback must be turned off (via Song Settings, pictured below) to record audio with the Sampler.

The new version also supports import of Apple Loops; AIFF, WAV, and CAF audio files as well as uncompressed 16-bit, 44.1 kHz raw audio data (the format of CD audio). Users can import audio data files into GarageBand on an iPad using the File Sharing pane of iTunes to sync the data to the device.

Users can now also copy and paste audio into GarageBand projects from other iOS apps that support sending audio data to the clipboard.

Apple notes that the update also "improves overall stability and addresses a number of minor issues," including "occurrences of GarageBand freezing while playing Smart Instruments."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Auto update button doesn't seem to recognize the update is available. Shows no updates.

You have to manually go to each app in the app store and click update. Don't know why that is?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't know if this is a bug or if it's simply bad programming or a bad design choice, but there's a problem with Garageband. I hope that the new update fixes this problem.

When you play the drum kit, the snare drum is complete crap. It doesn't matter where you hit it or how hard you hit it, the velocity and loudness is all over the place. You can hit the snare drum 5 times in a row in the exact same spot, and the volume of the snare drum jumps up and down. It's not stable enough. I've also read similar complaints from others, so it's not just me. It's kind of hard to play a beat when the snare drum loudness keeps jumping up and down. There should at least be an option to have the snare drum sound identical from hit to hit if you so choose.

I've tried other drum apps on the iPad and they don't suffer from that problem.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Auto update button doesn't seem to recognize the update is available. Shows no updates.

You have to manually go to each app in the app store and click update. Don't know why that is?

Yeah, that's weird. Third party updates show up in the app store, but not Apple's own software?

I'm updating garageband right now as we speak. I also got an extra prompt stating that I already owned the software and that the update is free, would I like to continue? I've never gotten a prompt like that before when updating iPad software.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yeah, that's weird. Third party updates show up in the app store, but not Apple's own software?

I'm updating garageband right now as we speak. I also got an extra prompt stating that I already owned the software and that the update is free, would I like to continue? I've never gotten a prompt like that before when updating iPad software.

Have you ever updated by downloading the new version from that app's page in the Store? Because that happens every single time when you do it that way.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Have you ever updated by downloading the new version from that app's page in the Store? Because that happens every single time when you do it that way.

I guess I have never updated by going directly to the app page before, that would explain it.

The only times that I update something is when I see the little red circle, letting me know that there's an update available. I just thought it was strange that it didn't notify me that there was any update available for Garageband, when it seems to work for all sorts of third party apps.

If I hadn't read this thread, I wouldn't even have known that there was a new update for garageband. I don't go checking the app's page in the app store for apps which I have already bought and downloaded.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    miasmimiasmi Posts: 1member
    Nice update, but I'd rather see AirPlay support for Keynote. I outfitted my conference room with an AppleTV 2 right after it was released, in anticipation that it would soon support wireless presenting from iOS devices.

Still waiting...
  • Reply 7 of 18
    FYI: I believe the version of GarageBand released today is not 1.2.1 but rather 1.0.1.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has updated [..] be turned off (via Sony Settings, pictured below) to record audio [...]

Huh? Sony, eh?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Miasmi View Post

Nice update, but I'd rather see AirPlay support for Keynote. I outfitted my conference room with an AppleTV 2 right after it was released, in anticipation that it would soon support wireless presenting from iOS devices.

Still waiting...

Still waiting ... After you submitted your request to Apple?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miasmi View Post

nice update, but i'd rather see airplay support for keynote. I outfitted my conference room with an appletv 2 right after it was released, in anticipation that it would soon support wireless presenting from ios devices.

Still waiting...

+++1.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Still waiting ... After you submitted your request to Apple?

Many people have written to Apple about this, and many forums (incl. Apple's support forums) have discussed/commiserated on this issue ad nauseam.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    So a few days before WWDC Apple updates iPad/iPhone apps for Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, & Garageband.

Seems a good way to make them ready for some new features next week, without overloading all the downloads next week.

eg: use of integrated documents folders across all devices.

Or am I overly hopeful?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

It's Showing them all for me.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I still dont understand why the imovie app isnt available for the first gen ipad. Come on Apple! Its avsilable for the friggin ipod and not for the original ipad which came out just a year ago? Bogus! :-)
  • Reply 15 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

I still dont understand why the imovie app isnt available for the first gen ipad. Come on Apple! Its avsilable for the friggin ipod and not for the original ipad which came out just a year ago? Bogus! :-)

It works on it. It's not that hard to install.

The lack of inclusion stems from your complete inability to get any movie content into it. We don't have any cameras. You'd have to manually put everything in, which is a waste of time and pointless when you'd have iMovie on your computer to do the same work in less time.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It works on it. It's not that hard to install.

The lack of inclusion stems from your complete inability to get any movie content into it. We don't have any cameras. You'd have to manually put everything in, which is a waste of time and pointless when you'd have iMovie on your computer to do the same work in less time.

Not true. You can transfer video to the ipad from a camera or ipod touch via the apple cam kit. Editing short video clips on the road with the original ipad is totally possible. Why should you only be able to do it on the ipad 2? Just because it has a camera? Who shoots video holding up an ipad? I would bet most people use the camera on the ipad 2 to do facetime and NOT as a camera. My point is that the ability to editing video doesnt have to be excluded from the original ipad just because it doesnt have a camera. If that were true, why does apple make the camera kit attachment for the ipad? Simple....to transfer photos and video to it.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Garageband was also not showing up in the Updates section of the App Store on my iPad 2. Had to search for it on the App Store, and interestingly there was Garageband with an Update button next to it (instead of the Buy Now).
  • Reply 18 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Looks like the GarageBand update has been fixed via iTunes.