Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features

Comments

• Reply 41 of 226
    Another BIG step forward for Apple.

Iphone(ios)

Ipad

ICloud

Wireless sync, etc. Post PC ..

Superior notifications are what kept me holding on to my Android devices.. this may have been the last nail. Way to go Apple for not being afraid to adopt.

Anyone know if toggles are included in the notifications tray a la SBS settings?
  • Reply 42 of 226
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Any reason why Apple is holding off until Fall for this iOS-5 release. The least they could do is offer it now since they are not offering a new iPhone. I watched the live feed on AI and was excited, only to see the "oh wait" bomb at the end telling us it wouldn't be released until Fall. It seems ready to go, and to me I feel that Apple is holding off on the release just to create buzz when we deserve it now.

Sincerely,

One (of millions) Unhappy (and impatient), Loyal Customer

Because that's when the iPhone 5 is going to be released?
  • Reply 43 of 226
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Excellent point. There's some things that there's just not a better way of handling. The biggest difference to me? Google won't sue anyone because it looks or works similar to Android.

Google is the least dangerous to Apple in terms of actually going to sue. Since Android itself is under the GNU license, Google won't really have a case unless Apple specifically steals code or specific functions from proprietary apps.

If I was Apple I would be checking the crowd for HTC and Samsung personnel, Which CAN sue on the base of their OEM skins which are not by default bare Android.
  • Reply 44 of 226
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Any reason why Apple is holding off until Fall for this iOS-5 release. The least they could do is offer it now since they are not offering a new iPhone. I watched the live feed on AI and was excited, only to see the "oh wait" bomb at the end telling us it wouldn't be released until Fall. It seems ready to go, and to me I feel that Apple is holding off on the release just to create buzz when we deserve it now.

Sincerely,

One (of millions) Unhappy (and impatient), Loyal Customer

So the developers can make the apps rock on the new OS and so it's rock solid.
  • Reply 45 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

You think that's amusing - try tallying up all the phones using multitouch all of a sudden.

lol, you can't.

Apple did not invent multi touch, they popularized it. They have a patent for it, but where not the first to dabble in the tech.
  • Reply 46 of 226
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I'm ready to download the developer beta right now.

-Wifi Syncing

-OTA updates

-iMessage

-No more syncing

-Airplay mirroring

-iCloud
  • Reply 47 of 226
    ds1985ds1985 Posts: 1member
    If I were to pay the $99 to become an Apple developer would I get to download iOS5 early to my phone?
  • Reply 48 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Apple did not invent multi touch, they popularized it.

I never said they invented it. They showed the industry how to implement it. Every phone manufacturer has copied it - among many, many other features.

Of course, that's not amusing. lol
  • Reply 49 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ds1985 View Post

If I were to pay the $99 to become an Apple developer would I get to download iOS5 early to my phone?

Most likely yes you would...oh and that fee is yearly.
  • Reply 50 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ds1985 View Post

yep!
  • Reply 51 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I never said they invented it. They showed the industry how to implement it. Every phone manufacturer has copied it - among many, many other features.

Of course, that's not amusing. lol

It is indeed amusing...After all, I'll be happy to give credit to the company that showed the world the now standard for multitouch:

Pierre Wellner and

Fingerworks(Which Apple purchased)
  • Reply 52 of 226
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i want multiple user accounts on my iPad!

with all of the new sync features that i'd like to use, my wife doesn't need to see all of the text messages, emails, and photos that i'm sending/receiving/taking with my iPhone while she's using "our" iPad, and i don't want to see all of hers.

Apple's solution: buy a second iPad! not.
  • Reply 53 of 226
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Yup, I switched and love the Android notifications. Good to see IoS got the same now, though I expect Apple fanbois who previously said Android notifications suck to jump and praise Apple to the hilt.

iCloud looks pretty good, atleast whatever has been announced. I hope the "one more thing" is the iphone 5. Looking forward to see what it has, though I am waiting for Nexus 3.

90% of people here have said that notification in iOS pre 5 sucked
  • Reply 54 of 226
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i want multiple user accounts on my iPad!

with all of the new sync features that i'd like to use, my wife doesn't need to see all of the text messages, emails, and photos that i'm sending/receiving/taking with my iPhone while she's using "our" iPad, and i don't want to see all of hers.

Apple's solution: buy a second iPad! not.

No matter where I looked I couldn't find any software that would allow my Wife and I to use the iPad at the same time... so I had to buy another one.
  • Reply 55 of 226
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    That's so much stuff that I have a feeling this was Jobs last time as ring master and his greatest Show on Earth.
  • Reply 56 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

It is indeed amusing...After all, I'll be happy to give credit to the company that showed the world the now standard for multitouch:

Pierre Wellner and

Fingerworks(Which Apple purchased)

Interestingly, the focus has shifted from Netbooks to Tablets - Who's copying who?

Rhetorical question.
  • Reply 57 of 226
    Since Verizon iPhone4 is still on 4.2.7 missing tons of features like Home Sharing, are Verizon iPhone 4 users actually going to ever see this update? Or will they just get 4.3 when iOS 5 comes out?
  • Reply 58 of 226
    msecheamsechea Posts: 6member
    so yeah, i mean the notifications are a step up...but are they done right? could they be better? could they be different? it's fine and dandy is all, but nothing like wow, my eyes jumped out of my head. so they hire a guy from palm who did webos notifications, then they went ahead and 'borrowed' a similar type of functionality from another OS. mm, yes that makes sense.

its kind of like, yeah, good they're better, but what is there to rave about? pc-less? yeah, playing catchup with everyone else id say. this update was a catchup update for sure, thats all i see.
  • Reply 59 of 226
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Users will also be able to access notifications from the lock screen, viewing text messages and listening to voicemails. Notifications can also be removed by hitting an 'X' to the right.

Can this be turned off?

Not every text message and e-mail is meant to be shown to the world whether you want it to be or not.
  • Reply 59 of 226
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member
    These are great changes, but the thing I wanted most---text reflow after pinch zoom in teh browser---is not included.