external hard drive and backup

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My dad needs an external hd to backup his main hd. What I was wondering was if he bought a 3tb external hd could he partition it and use part as a backup and part to store files and how would he backup that other half of the external drive? He is using a 2010 mbp and will be using time machine. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skives View Post

My dad needs an external hd to backup his main hd. What I was wondering was if he bought a 3tb external hd could he partition it and use part as a backup and part to store files and how would he backup that other half of the external drive? He is using a 2010 mbp and will be using time machine. Thanks

yes, use disk utility in osx to partition, one can be a clone for backup purposes

figure how you want to partition, and you can name each one, i chose a name for each of my macs, then the 3rd was for "extra files"

use superduper, i use it and its the best

partitioning is siimple

i think creating a clone (superduper) you then can boot up from that HD if you lose your main HD, i've done it

i used my backup clone to run my wife's MB, while i was waiting for a new HD to arrive, then i installed the replacement, used superduper to clone back to my MB harddrive

and worked like a charm i prefer a clone to time machine, i like having an exact clone, mirror copy of my main hd

do a google search for superduper, and go to youtube and see videos for doing this

ok here it is and they show you how

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDup...scription.html

also, at otherworldcomputing they sell kits to backup and replace your internal HD includes tools and an exclosure, i got one that had usb and firewire 400 i've done this twice.