Where does a non techie discuss internet arcania?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Can anyone recommend an article or website that discusses how server SW-browser cookie transactions between social media, email providers and 3rd parties are handled on the net?

I temporarily deactivated my facebook account 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I tried to post a comment to a music blog. Once I had written it and hit the post button the only options I was given to complete the posting process were to log-in to either my Yahoo or Facebook accounts. Naturally I chose to go the Yahoo route, otherwise I would have had to re-activate FB. In order to proceed with my post Yahoo required me to agree to make them my email sign-on for FB. I said yes, since I figured it would have no impact, since my FB account is deactivated.

But I made this decision under the assumption that Yahoo was going handle this transaction with my FB account directly, and that they wouldn't be able to do so since my fb account is deactivated. I have since thought about this and come to the conclusion that the way this is done is by putting a cookie on my browser. Regardless the nightmare scenario is they change my fb log-on email to Yahoo from my current email account while my fb account is deactivated and this somehow prevents me from re-activating. (I don't see how that could happen, but who knows--maybe FB uses different SW or cookie protocols for account re-activations than they do for simple log-ons.)

I know the obvious way to test this hypothesis to go and re-activate fb. But suppose I'm successful and I forget that I've given Yahoo permission to make this switch and in the process of reactivation the switch is made without Fb notifying me. That wouldn't happen, would it? If it did I could face a scenario where I immediately deactivate, forget about the whole drama and months later when I go to reactivate can't log on because I'm using the wrong email log-on account! (I would naturally assume it was a password issue, or that my fb account's been hacked--something that's already happened once. Anyway, I don't want to re-activate right now, not even for five minutes. I have my reasons)

Mr X

PS Is this log-in process about the economics of the web at work or is it also to discourage flaming and hacking?. It's interesting as I also have a hotmail account-the 3rd of three posting associations I was originally presented with, I forget the 4th--but that option was removed once I'd hit the post button--I assume because the website's SW didn't detect any recent log-ins to hotmail by my browser, something that feels slightly creepy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Facebook login is a dangerous method, IMO. I think you're underestimating how much control Facebook has when interacting through APIs with Yahoo, for example.

I too have seen a lot of "Login using your Facebook to comment". This is NOT done on the client-side through cookies or what not, I'm quite sure it is a direct API interaction between the website and Facebook.

Which makes things much more complicated when you deactivate your FB account. FB is notorious for privacy issues, constant and unknown changes to their APIs and virtually no support when it comes to issues with your account. In your case, Yahoo may still have access to the account through the API on the server-side even though you have deactivated it. And changing the primary email of your FB account through Yahoo? That just makes things crazier.

If I am forced to use my FB account to comment, well, no dice. I'd rather not comment than give all kinds of third-parties who-knows-what access to my FB account.

Well, my 2 cents FWIW.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ptrash View Post

In order to proceed with my post Yahoo required me to agree to make them my email sign-on for FB.

That is f***ed up right there. The moment you saw that you should have just flipped Yahoo and that whole website the bird and moved on.

The whole point of using your Yahoo account to comment is so that you DON'T have to use Facebook. Now Yahoo still wants to somehow link to Facebook just to post a comment? Screw that. THAT is CREEPY.