can't back-up I tunes to my USB drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm trying to back up my ancient G4 laptop's hard drive. I'm using a USB drive--A LaCie Phillipe Starck 500GB model--and doing it manually. Yeah, Yeah I should buy a decent drive (FW, right?) and a good back-up program but in the mean time this is what I have to work with. I'm getting various failure messages. The first didn't specify which files or apps were not being copied--it made a reference to permissions and I just said ok and continued. Then I got another error message when the file copying (OS 10.4.11) que got to the I-Tunes app (7.1 59)--that the alias" I-pod updater" could not be copied perhaps because the destination source does not support that kind of file. At that point hitting "ok" ends the file copy attempt, with only a few kb of the Itunes app being copied.

Any suggestions for a work around? Disk Utility doesn't tell me what the formatting scheme is on the disk. I assume it's HFS+ but I'm not 100% on that. It says the partition scheme is Apple, and it's not SMART enabled but I can't see how that matters when all I'm trying to do is copy files.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ptrash View Post

I'm using a USB drive--A LaCie Phillipe Starck 500GB model--and doing it manually. Yeah, Yeah I should buy a decent drive (FW, right?) and a good back-up program but in the mean time this is what I have to work with.

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner and it will backup everything - just make sure not to delete other files if you use it for something other than backups.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ptrash View Post

Disk Utility doesn't tell me what the formatting scheme is on the disk. I assume it's HFS+ but I'm not 100% on that.

It should tell you if you click on the partition and look near the bottom of the window. You can also click the drive in the Finder and hit command-i and it will tell you there.