Apple issues new Mac OS X 10.6.8 build to developers with no known issues

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released another beta of its forthcoming Mac OS X 10.6.8 update to its developer community, with the upcoming software release expected to allow users to update to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion through the Mac App Store.



People familiar with the latest build say it is dubbed "10K537." It is available for download from Apple as a 454MB delta update, or 1GB combo update.



Like previous builds of Mac OS X 10.6.8, the latest build is said to have no known issues. Developers have been asked to concentrate on the Mac App Store, as well as AirPort, Graphics Drivers, Networking, QuickTime and VPN.



The final release of Mac OS X 10.6.8 is expected to address a number of issues with Snow Leopard before the debut of Lion, including resolution of an issue that may cause Preview to unexpectedly quit, improved support for IPv6, and improved VPN reliability, according to people familiar with the software.



The software update also reportedly contains fixes for the MAC Defender malware scam,. The malicious software was first discovered by a security researcher in early May. Soon after, Apple posted a support document with instructions on how to remove the malware, promising that an upcoming update to Mac OS X would find and remove the offending software. A separate, already-released security update for Mac OS X 10.6.7 also addresses the malware.







With Snow Leopard on the way out, Apple has turned its attention to Lion. Current Snow Leopard users will be able to make the upgrade next month when Lion goes on sale solely in the Mac App Store. The operating system upgrade will cost $29.99.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Looks like the last update of Mac OS X I will ever use will soon be released.



    I can't really complain as I am really liking Unity on Ubuntu.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The software update also reportedly contains fixes for the MAC Defender malware scam,. The malicious software was first discovered by a security researcher in early May. Soon after, Apple posted a support document with instructions on how to remove the malware, promising that an upcoming update to Mac OS X would find and remove the offending software.



    And that update was released a while ago
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I've completely missed the fact that the upgrade to Lion will require Snow Leopard.



    I guess I'll have to finally upgrade my wife's iMac, which is still on Tiger



    She actually runs an app other than Safari about once every 3 months, so I have had no incentive to update the machine.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,681member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post


    Looks like the last update of Mac OS X I will ever use will soon be released.



    I can't really complain as I am really liking Unity on Ubuntu.



    Oh pleeaase...
  • Reply 5 of 16
    derevderev Posts: 64member
    Okay, let me get this straight....



    If you want buy Lion (OSX 10.7) it will cost you $29.



    But if you want to "upgrade" from Snow Leopard, ti will cost you $29.



    Semanticly punny.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    chiachia Posts: 692member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post


    Looks like the last update of Mac OS X I will ever use will soon be released.



    I can't really complain as I am really liking Unity on Ubuntu.



    Given the choice I'd rather use Mac System 7.5.3, the buggiest OS released by Apple than endure the misery of troubleshooting Ubuntu. Hell I'd rather use Windows 3.0 than the mess that is Ubuntu.



    I'm most grateful for OS X. I built a system from scratch which I've had to use Ubuntu with and it's like running a marathon up Everest after each update to ensure such basic things as Graphics cards, wifi and even booting are working correctly.



    If Ubuntu is the best Linux has to offer I doubt Redmond will lose any sleep over Linux, much less Cupertino.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,063member
    Losing Rosetta will delay the upgrade for those of us running older commercial software.



    Ah, well, a second computer is in my future.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post


    Given the choice I'd rather use Mac System 7.5.3 ...



    Revision 2, Update 1?



    Ah, those were the days!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    chabigchabig Posts: 622member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derev View Post


    Okay, let me get this straight....



    If you want buy Lion (OSX 10.7) it will cost you $29.



    But if you want to "upgrade" from Snow Leopard, ti will cost you $29.



    Semanticly punny.



    $29.99 plus tax, actually.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post


    I've completely missed the fact that the upgrade to Lion will require Snow Leopard.



    I guess I'll have to finally upgrade my wife's iMac, which is still on Tiger

    .



    I thought I read somewhere that there may be a minimum CPU requirement for Lion? Something to the effect of nothing less than a Core 2 Duo (vice a Core Duo, which supposedly won't work)? An iMac running Tiger might be right on the edge...my MBP didn't make the cut if memory serves...either way, upgrading that machine to Snow Leopard would still be a nice bump
  • Reply 11 of 16
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    and this still won't fix the issue my entire design studio is having trying to print to our imagerunner advance copiers from 10.6.7. we have brand new sandy bridge iMacs and MBP's [about 60 of them combined] that are sitting in the boxes waiting to be able to output to our machines. we're 20 days from returning every single one of them.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Are they going to fix the drivers on the AMD Radeon chips in the 15 and 17 inch laptops? The synchronizing with certain monitors through DVI is still borked, and because the 15 and 17 only use the discrete graphics for monitor spanning I can't use disabling the discrete chip as a workaround. I've had to turn off the power management (i.e sleep mode) on my NEC 2490 monitor to get it to work at all in clamshell mode, and have to use a dual-link adapter for it to transition reliably into and out of dual display mode even though the monitor is only 1920x1200. I assume the latter issue is voltage-related but the clamshell thing is completely inexcusable.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefingers View Post


    I thought I read somewhere that there may be a minimum CPU requirement for Lion? Something to the effect of nothing less than a Core 2 Duo (vice a Core Duo, which supposedly won't work)? An iMac running Tiger might be right on the edge...my MBP didn't make the cut if memory serves...either way, upgrading that machine to Snow Leopard would still be a nice bump



    Yes, you need a 64-bit processor to run Lion, and that means the CoreDuo chips from 2006 won't work as they're only 32-bit. The switch to Core2Duo at least for the laptops came in early November of 2006.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I hope Apple is planning to make the Lion download burnable to DVD and bootable. Doing system reinstalls or disk recovery from an internet download might be possible in east Asia, but not with the USA's creaky internet.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    jkgmjkgm Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post


    I hope Apple is planning to make the Lion download burnable to DVD and bootable. Doing system reinstalls or disk recovery from an internet download might be possible in east Asia, but not with the USA's creaky internet.



    Easy. Right-click the Lion Installer, and navigate into Contents -> Shared Resources. Burn the ESD.dmg file to DVD or dump it onto a USB partition with Disk Utility, and away you go.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 137member
    Just curious if anyone running the Lion beta has checked if it can still be patched (or even needs it) to enable it to act as a gateway for iOS device printing to non airplay printers on the same local network. We use this capability many times a day from both iphones and the ipad in our household and it would be a real bummer if Lion precluded this patch.



    david
Sign In or Register to comment.