Go portable or wait...?

in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
All you rumor gurus might be able to help me with this. Would I be smarter by waiting on getting an (T)iBook, or should I go now? My price range is somewhere around the mid 1000s. Thanks for the help.


  • Reply 1 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    If you don't need a computer within the next 4-5 months, wait.

    If I was in the market for a laptop, I would buy the 12" combo-drive iBook right now.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    IMO: Whenever "or wait" is an option you should take it. Hardware is constantly getting better and/or less expensive.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It depends what "or wait" means. Macworld Tokyo is a month later than usual. Maybe we will see new hardware there, but I have a feeling the expo will be OS X and software centric.

    I don't think the iBook will be updated soon, and even if it is, the revisions will be minor. In your price range, the laptops probably won't change all that much. If you were in the market for a >$2000 PowerBook G4, then waiting might make sense, but still...

    If you buy a laptop now, you will have at least a month to play with a current model laptop. What if new hardware isn't introduced at Macworld Tokyo? You will have wasted a month waiting for nothing...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I'd get an iBook now, rather than waiting. If you were thinking about a Titanium, then I'd say wait, but the iBook is a great laptop for the money now, and it probably won't get more than a modest speedbump next revision. 12" is nice and small, 14" is sweet, they all rock.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    I use a 12.1" iBook, and it really rocks. MacOS X works nice and its just wonderful

    I never seen/tried the 14" iBook so I cant say much about it, but most people (I think) dont like it.

    As far as I know, the 14" iBook dosent have the "charm" the 12.1" has. Its heavier and use the same resolution. The only good thing is that it has longer battery time.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    It isn't extreemely urgent. I'm talking mostly about the 1-2 year outlook. I'm probably looking at something in late 2002 to mid 2003. The stuff right now looks really good, but will a new generation of stuff be coming out soon that will make a 12.1 incredibly slow and obsolete? That's really what I want to know.

    [ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: ramoth4 ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 9
    if you don't need a new computer until mid 2003, save your money!!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ....I am

    What i was wondering was what is gonna be out there, in 2003? is ther going to be massive iBooks that absorb heat and have paper screens and run on soundwaves? or are there going to be gigantic robots that do all the work for us so all humans do is provide a couple hundred BTUs for the robots energy so they do the work while we slumber away?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    So you have your answer then, never by anycomputer untill you absolutely NEED it unless you just want it. But, you still shouldn't buy now for something you plan to use later.

    On the topic of whether you should buy a portable now or wait. That's easy: do you plan to use OS9 or OSX? If 9, then go ahead and buy it, if X, then wait. X by all accounts is perfectly acceptable, but it has a little niggling lag which ought to dissapear with slightly faster machines.
Sign In or Register to comment.