MacBooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In the great rush of slobbering speculation of new Thunderbolt hardware, one machine is noticeably absent, namely, the MacBook. It has been well over a year since it's last refresh and I'm really curious if MBs are getting phased out as the standard consumer level laptop. There was supposed to be a distinction between the MB & MBP as the P meant "Pro" so a better screen, better graphics, bigger $$. Where's the speculation on the MB?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pastor_Mac View Post


    In the great rush of slobbering speculation of new Thunderbolt hardware, one machine is noticeably absent, namely, the MacBook. It has been well over a year since it's last refresh and I'm really curious if MBs are getting phased out as the standard consumer level laptop. There was supposed to be a distinction between the MB & MBP as the P meant "Pro" so a better screen, better graphics, bigger $$. Where's the speculation on the MB?



    Seriously??!?



    Have you not read ANY of the other threads dealing with the various MacBooks (Air & Pro)??!? The ones that all seem to draw the conclusion that the regular MacBook just may be replaced by the MacBook Air as the entry level Mac portable computing solution??!?



    Quite Trollish, for a first post, matey?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post


    Seriously??!?



    Have you not read ANY of the other threads dealing with the various MacBooks (Air & Pro)??!? The ones that all seem to draw the conclusion that the regular MacBook just may be replaced by the MacBook Air as the entry level Mac portable computing solution??!?



    Quite Trollish, for a first post, matey?



    Wow, even at my old worst I wouldn't jump down someone's throat like that.



    At WORST, he just needs to search before posting. I don't see anything trollish in there. The whispers of a sense of entitlement, sure, but nothing trollish.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Wow, even at my old worst I wouldn't jump down someone's throat like that.



    At WORST, he just needs to search before posting. I don't see anything trollish in there. The whispers of a sense of entitlement, sure, but nothing trollish.



    You were worse before?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    You were worse before?



    I was more... adamant before. I presented (sometimes overly-) pessimistic supposition as fact.



    I was wrong, sure, but I was closer to what Apple wound up doing than anyone optimistic, sure.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post


    Quite Trollish, for a first post, matey…



    Trolls are rather mild where you come from then, err, matey.



    OP: There isn't much to speculate on, the Macbook will undoubtedly get what the 13 inch MBP has currently. That's been the case since the 13' aluminum became a pro, the regular macbook lags a few months then gets the same internals.



    I hope it gets the backlit keyboard and ambient light sensor this time around. And FFS Apple, its time for 4GB to be the absolute baseline for new computers.



    I doubt they will kill it for the Air, its still their best seller as far as I know. A price drop of even 100 would be much appreciated though, considering how close in price it is to the 13 inch Pro.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I expect that we will see a revised MacBook this summer -- either a minor revision or a major revision.



    I expect a minor revision would include:

    - Sandy Bridge CPU with integrated graphics

    - 4GB RAM

    - Thunderbolt

    - 320GB HD



    I expect a major revision would include all of the above plus:

    - a thinner polycarbonate case

    - no internal optical brick



    Either way, I think there is a good chance for an optional black case.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    larryclarryc Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pastor_Mac View Post


    In the great rush of slobbering speculation of new Thunderbolt hardware, one machine is noticeably absent, namely, the MacBook. It has been well over a year since it's last refresh and I'm really curious if MBs are getting phased out as the standard consumer level laptop. There was supposed to be a distinction between the MB & MBP as the P meant "Pro" so a better screen, better graphics, bigger $$. Where's the speculation on the MB?



    I do wish that sites like this (and their respective forums) would stop acting as though the only computer that Apple makes is the MacBook Air. It is the MBA, the iPhone, and the iPad that get all the ink, at least it seems that way to me. These same people who are in love with the Air, they seem to hate the MacBook and want Apple to kill it off as soon as possible.



    There are still those people that believe that Apple should keep the MacBook as part of their line up. The MacBook will probably get the Intel i3 processor and integrated graphics and Thunderbolt. The standard MacBook will remain a very good choice for those that just need a computer for school, light home use and for those that do not feel the need to spend money on small capacity SSD drives and a fancy exterior. The MacBook will still appeal to people who want or need to be able to install the software that comes on a disc that they receive with their textbooks or to be able to burn a CD for themselves or a friend. There are lots of folks who already own a large music collection that would like to make a copy of the original CD for use in their car while the original stays safely at home. Personally, I would not purchase a computer that did not come with an optical disc drive. For people like myself, the MacBook is all we really need.
Sign In or Register to comment.