Apple bumps Time Capsule capacity to 3TB, no mention of new features

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday increased the capacity of its Time Capsule network attached storage with a 3-terabyte model, but the quiet refresh made no mention of other changes to the hardware.

The new models were revealed by Apple on its official Time Capsule page, mentioning 2TB and 3TB models.

Update: The Apple Online Store has been updated, with the 2TB and 3TB models selling for $299 and $499, respectively. The previous generation 1TB model ran for $299, while the 2TB offering was $499.

The official page still advertises the ability to wirelessly and automatically back up a Mac with the Time Capsule, as well as the hardware's included dual-band 802.11n wireless base station. It also has the same dimensions, at 7.7-by-7.7 inches.

The lack of new advertised functionality quashes earlier rumors that an updated Time Capsule could be powered by Apple's iOS lightweight operating system found on the iPhone, iPad and new Apple TV. It was suggested that a transition could allow for more robust features, like print and media streaming services, integration with iCloud, and cached wireless software updates.

While the Time Capsule was quietly updated on Tuesday, a refresh of Apple's AirPort Extreme router is also expected to arrive in the near future, having recently been outed by a filing with the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. Stock of both Time Capsules and AirPort Extreme base stations had run dry at Apple retail stores and third-party resellers in recent weeks.

The capacity of the Time Capsule was last increased to 2TB in July of 2009. That $499 model doubled the capacity of the previous high-end 1TB Time Capsule.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This is not iOS based. My reasoning is that they'd advertise that it's using an Apple A4 chip, like they do with the AppleTV.

I do hope the rumours about an iOS based Time Capsule-like product are true, but I hope they are as an Apple Home Server where it being iOS-based makes a lot more sense.
  • Reply 2 of 77
    The Apple Store links for the Time Capsule is currently down...
  • Reply 3 of 77
    wvmb99wvmb99 Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I do hope the rumours about an iOS based Time Capsule-like product are true, but I hope they are as an Apple Home Server where it being iOS-based makes a lot more sense.

I second this. An Apple branded full featured home server would be handy - something I can replace my old power sucking G3 with...

Does anyone here have a feeling for the wireless range of these (assuming that the new ones have no updates)? I find myself in the market for a new one, but have avoided the Apple wireless stations after the first one I bought - first or second gen with pathetic range and no easy way to add an antenna.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wvmb99 View Post

Does anyone here have a feeling for the wireless range of these (assuming that the new ones have no updates)? I find myself in the market for a new one, but have avoided the Apple wireless stations after the first one I bought - first or second gen with pathetic range and no easy way to add an antenna.

I have a Time Capsule (original 1TB version) it is downstairs in my house and it covers the whole house with ease. This is a wood frame 2 story house w/ 2,300 sq ft. Outside the signal strength is quite good
  • Reply 5 of 77
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Apple should make a nice four-bay NAS. Unfortunately, even if they did, I couldn't afford it.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    The previous pricing was pretty atrocious. 2TB for $499? Lord, a 2TB drive alone is just $100.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Apple should make a nice four-bay NAS. Unfortunately, even if they did, I couldn't afford it.

Just pickup a QNAP NAS box, it has a built in media server and iTunes server, around $350 for a 4 drive housing.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

"No one wants well-designed server hardware."

That's why the XServe's dead.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    I was hoping that the Time Capsule would become more NAS-like. I'd like something that could run my Logitech Squeezebox jukebox software. Imagine that a Time Capsule ran iOS and you could control Apps on it via an iPad. Plus having it be the iPad 'wireless dock', if you will -- an in-your-home cloud for software updates and backup that had been rumored.

Well, we'll see what this new Airport Extreme looks like. Hopefully with a new FCC filing, it's a new device. Maybe it'll have the rumored iOS features, and we can hook up a hard drive to it to make it the NAS I want.

If not.....I'll get a refreshed Mac Mini and make it a home server.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    amador_oamador_o Posts: 67member
    I would just love for the new TC to run iTunes. I wouldn't have to leave my computers on just to stream movies. And hopefully a thunderbolt port for additional storage.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    UK pricing:

2TB = £249

3TB = £399

What a crazy premium for the 3TB model! The £150 difference could buy you an external 3TB drive.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Was expecting a bit more than this, Apple are lagging behind in terms of cost per TB and have missed an opportunity to integrate further into the Connected Home. I'll be staying with my NAS box for now,
  • Reply 13 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Just pickup a QNAP NAS box, it has a built in media server and iTunes server, around $350 for a 4 drive housing.

Those are tech sexy!
    Do any of them act as a wireless router base station or even have WiFi access, or do they require being connected via ethernet?

Apple could do a lot of business here with a zero-config device that is milled from a block of aluminium using the new Mac mini footprint, but 3.5x the height.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    meh...

- no integrated adsl or cable modem

- no femto cell capability

- no iOS or A4 chip
  • Reply 15 of 77
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    3TB for $500?! Now I KNOW I'm never buying Apple drives.

Thank you Sea Gate and Western Digital.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    The Time Capsule launch has been messy online. The store is not in sync with the marketing/product pages. They still have the 1 TB and older 2 TB products up, but tout the new product features on these pages. Un-Apple like

I'm very excited about this. I've been holding off for this next iteration and plan to buy immediately. I hope they've addressed the heat and performance issues. And hopefully, they've made real world improvements in speed.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

I just bought one of these drives. I have to tell ya, for $350 and I can't get it to connect the WiFi to work or find any ethernet ports. Maybe the price of Apple's Time Capsule isn't so crazy after all.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Implying the hard drives inside the Time Capsule aren't Seagate and Western Digital.

What, you think Apple actually makes their own hard drives? Seriously?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by captainblack View Post

- no integrated adsl or cable modem

Because none of the telecoms would support it, rendering it completely worthless.

Quote:

- no femto cell capability

No infinite money printer, either. Let's not think we actually have realistic expectations, please.

Quote:

- no iOS or A4 chip

IT'S A ROUTER. It doesn't need one.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    nicolbolasnicolbolas Posts: 254member
    Quote:

BUT IT LOOKS NICE!

er, wow usually i am fine with Apple having things cost more money--because they have something that makes them better... but this its just like a shitload of money for a wireless external hard drive.... my friend made a gaming computer (windows ofc) for like $650 dollars....

i have no way to justify this. Doesn't have longer battery than anyone else with screens are better contrast wise. it doesn't have an OS that is easy to use.

I think Apple should stay as am advertising company that makes products. (its true!)

not a company that makes additional hardware.

Is it better than the PC alternative for wireless hard drive. probably.

can you build a server with the same or more storage and wirelessly connect to it for less money. probably.

but, yeah, $400 for a nice case and wireless isn't worth it... i get your 40% margins, i don't understand the over 100% margins (my guess, maybe i am wrong)
  • Reply 20 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

I would just love for the new TC to run iTunes. I wouldn't have to leave my computers on just to stream movies.

Serve music and movies without leaving computers on - yeah! I just picked up another AppleTV (1G) for US$50 that fulfills this exact need for me at home. My first one has a 320GB drive - a 10-minute modification for under US$100. I just hope they last a few more years.