Refurbished MacBook Pro - good way to go?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just wondering if there are any drawbacks to purchasing refurbished from Apple?

It seems to be a good way to save some $ while getting essentially the exact same product. I am thinking of purchasing a refurbished MacBook Pro, and am wondering if there are any disadvantages to doing so.

Can anyone speak to how their own refurbished purchases have worked out, and whether or not buying refurbished has any downside?



Thanks in advance!

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,430moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X-Men View Post


    It seems to be a good way to save some $ while getting essentially the exact same product. I am thinking of purchasing a refurbished MacBook Pro, and am wondering if there are any disadvantages to doing so.



    It doesn't come in the original box. Besides that, they should be as good as new and have the full warranty with options for Applecare.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    x-menx-men Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    It doesn't come in the original box. Besides that, they should be as good as new and have the full warranty with options for Applecare.



    Thanks Marvin!

    On a related note -

    Having read quite a few submissions in the Apple support section of the Apple site having to do with the 2011 MacBook Pros having issues with overheating, I wonder if the refurbished 2011 MacBooks available were returned for that reason.

    Is there any means of determining the cause for the "return and refurbish", or are they presumed to be "as good as new"?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,430moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X-Men View Post


    Having read quite a few submissions in the Apple support section of the Apple site having to do with the 2011 MacBook Pros having issues with overheating, I wonder if the refurbished 2011 MacBooks available were returned for that reason.

    Is there any means of determining the cause for the "return and refurbish", or are they presumed to be "as good as new"?



    They are sold like new so they don't list the cause of the return. If any returns were due to extreme overheating due to a fault, they'd fix it fully before selling it on. If you did get one you thought was still faulty, you'd have the option to return it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Refurbs are a great way to go. I've bought several machines that way and they all performed flawlessly. While they may not come in the original packaging, they are always (in my experience) cosmetically unblemished and look brand new.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    x-menx-men Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post


    Refurbs are a great way to go. I've bought several machines that way and they all performed flawlessly. While they may not come in the original packaging, they are always (in my experience) cosmetically unblemished and look brand new.



    Thanks folks! That is exactly what I wanted to know!
Sign In or Register to comment.