iCloud product manager departs Apple for health education company

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's Senior Product Manager for iCloud has left the company to join youth health curriculum provider HealthTeacher as Vice President of Product.

HealthTeacher announced Tuesday in a press release that John Herbold has left Apple to "lead the development of interactive products focused on improving youth health" for the company.

Herbold served as a Senior Product Manager for iCloud from June 2007 to June 2011, according to his LinkedIn profile. HealthTeacher's statement notes that he "played a key role in the creation, development and launch of iCloud and led the development and marketing of Photo Stream" during his time at Apple. Prior to working on iCloud, Herbold served as a Senior Product Manager on the MobileMe team.

?HealthTeacher is already playing a significant role in improving youth health through its work with teachers and schools. I look forward to leading the effort to enhance digital engagement that will equip our youth for a more successful future,? Herbold said.

Herbold graduated from Miami University in 2002 and worked as an IB Analyst for A.G. Edwards & Sons before going to business school at Duke University. While in business school, Herbold worked at Apple as a Product Marketing Intern, eventually joining the company full-time after he graduated in 2007.

Apple will officially launch iCloud this fall. The Cupertino, Calif., company previewed the free service earlier this month, highlighting seamless backups of iOS devices, iTunes in the Cloud and a Photo stream service that will automatically upload photos from iOS devices and push them to other devices and computers.

Herbold joins a couple other high-profile employees who have left Apple in recent months. Bertrand Serlet, who served as the company's Mac OS X software chief and had worked with CEO Steve Jobs for 22 years, left the company in March. Last week, Apple's retail boss Ron Johnson moved on from the company to become the CEO of retailer J.C. Penney. Johnson oversaw the launch of Apple's successful retail business through to its ten year anniversary last month.

While Serlet's replacement came internally, Apple has yet to find a replacement for Johnson and is "actively recruiting" for a new retail chief.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Let me start, for the joke of it, on behalf of FUD troll everywhere....

Apple is doomed! From the exodus of senior management staffs of late.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Who cares? Are we going to report every single Apple employee departure?

An what's this "several" business? There were TWO others, one of whom took a CEO position - an obvious move. Apple already has a CEO.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Perhaps the new guy can get a store in my country.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's Senior Product Manager for iCloud has left the company to join youth health curriculum provider HealthTeacher as Vice President of Product.

Traitor. Like a rat running from a ship. Git getting while the getting is good?

Good riddance.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    It's never good to see senior staff bolting; you wonder if the winds are changing, especially with SJ's health issues. I imagine a lot of loyalty is direct to him rather than to Apple as a whole.

Still, nobody really scary leaving yet...
  • Reply 6 of 35
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    No big deal. He was an analyst originally and most likely can do more for the health ed c. than Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Maybe it's because iCloud sucks and some heads are going to roll...
  • Reply 8 of 35
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    From Apple in Cupertino to HealthTeacher in Nashville? I guess there must be some upsides ?
  • Reply 9 of 35
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

From Apple in Cupertino to HealthTeacher in Nashville? I guess there must be some upsides ?

All I can think is that 4 years working on a major Apple revolution could be some pretty long and exhausting hours! If the chance popped up that was just what he personally wanted, I guess that might be something of a relief. He might not be hurting for money, after all.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Maybe it's because iCloud sucks and some heads are going to roll...

Or maybe this guy didn't actually have as big an oversight role with iCloud as the wording in the HealthTeacher news release would lead readers to conclude. Was he A senior product manager or THE senior product manager? We don't know where exactly in the hierarchy of the iCloud development team he was positioned. Being involved in MobileMe development hasn't been that much to crow about, and some of the MobileMe screw-ups can't have been a plus for some careers. His iCloud role may have been diminished or he may have been sidelined or even jumped before he was pushed. The release gives us no insight into that. For years I wrote appointment and promotion releases like these - and got to be a real expert at perfuming more than a few pigs. You have to read very carefully how every word turns, and what is not said or generalized along with what is said.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Something is rotting at Apple... how many dozens of high-level executives can we lose in just a few years?

And WHY are they all fleeing Apple?

What do they know that we don't know?

This is not looking good for the long-term.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Product Manager to Vice President. Nuff said. He is building his career. Might have family in Nashville.

Probably getting more money. Might already be vested in his Apples.

Can't see him losing on this move.

Probably dozens of Product Managers at Apple. He's stepping up.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    I shoulda checked this earlier. HealthTeacher is a curriculum development outfit that really fits the description of a small business. Not to demean the enterprise in the slightest, but this is microscopic compared to Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Something is rotting at Apple... how many dozens of high-level executives can we lose in just a few years?

And WHY are they all fleeing Apple?

What do they know that we don't know?

This is not looking good for the long-term.

Yes something is happening. It's end of an era. The era of multiple battlefronts. A lot of things which were started many years ago are finally good enough, that senior people can leave and do something else without having to worry that they will be much needed.

As for Serlet, if you followed the keynotes it was quite visible he was slowly eased out in past two years.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 16 of 35
    For crying out loud, this gentleman was a Senior Product Manager and probably one of many at Apple on iCloud. Like someone pointed out earlier, is AI monitoring LinkedIn and reporting every updates for all migration from Apple or what. Next we will see a post for a Senior Software Engineer departing from Apple and I am sure there are thousands of them at Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 18 of 35
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    If it wasn't for the timing and the fact that mobile me was a complete failure, this wouldn't even be news.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    qualiaqualia Posts: 73member
    People, many who would probably be considered more significant, have left Apple before. The OS X guy, Andy Rubin to name a few. People move on. If somebody near the top who wasn't expected to leave does, then maybe that's a cause for concern, but I think nagromme had the right idea: Apple's probably a very rigorous job and maybe he'd rather do something that's not so demanding and maybe just something new.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Fourth time's a charm...

Well, it only takes a few minutes looking at the comments to see how wrong he is, but let me add a few things. Apple is smart in that it's not building proprietary stuff to scale like Google File System. They are relying on other services and software to scale. They did the same with iTunes by using Akamai. And it's generally a good strategy to not rely on inventing such things in-house, as such things age too quickly. I know couple Google engineers who bitch about how old GFS is, hell even some recent employees leaving have stated so even publicly.