iPhone lost & found

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In case you mislaid your iPhone, or when it is stolen, is there an app for iOS that shows you its location in a browser?

Android has several apps like that. E.g. MyLookout. The free version shows you your phone's location in Google Maps (with upto 10 feet accuracy) and can make it 'scream' (siren) and flash wildly if you're close but still can't find it.

The paid version can also remotely lock your phone and wipe it clean if necessary.

I checked the App Store and couldn't find similar iOS apps. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

In case you mislaid your iPhone, or when it is stolen, is there an app for iOS that shows you its location in a browser?

Uh... Find My iPhone... made by APPLE. FREE.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh... Find My iPhone... made by APPLE. FREE.

Cheers.

The App Store doesn't list it, though...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Cheers.

The App Store doesn't list it, though...

Hmm... where would it be listed? Utilities, probably.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm... where would it be listed? Utilities, probably.

No such category in my App Store! Or in the App Store of several iPhone users I know. You have another App Store...?

I know that "Find My iPhone" can be accessed through Mobile.Me. But the majority of iPhone users don't have Mobile.Me (because they don't have Macs). So how, and where, do they get it?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:

No such category in my App Store! Or in the App Store of several iPhone users I know. You have another App Store...?

We use this App Store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-...376101648?mt=8

Maybe you were on the Amazon Appstore, they are easily confused. Apple should really do something about that.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

No such category in my App Store!

Try looking at the category that says "Utilities".

Quote:

{I know that "Find My iPhone" can be accessed through Mobile.Me. But the majority of iPhone users don't have Mobile.Me (because they don't have Macs). So how, and where, do they get it?

Online at me.com. Simple.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

We use this App Store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-...376101648?mt=8

Maybe you were on the Amazon Appstore, they are easily confused. Apple should really do something about that.

Thanks. Yep, I can download it via your link. As can non-Mac users. But your link is to the iTunes Store! Not to the App Store application that Apple released not long ago, especially for iPhone users without PCs or Macs or who don't want to be dependent on them. They also made a version of that application for your Mac. To run in OSX (probably only Leopard and Snow Leopard). Find it in your Applications folder on your Mac. It was pushed by Apple to your Mac, not long ago. With one of the Software Updates. Access it from the menubar, max left, right under the apple icon. It's the third choice. Right after "About this Mac" and "Software Update...". A pretty prominent position in the UI, methinks. That App Store does not list "Find My iPhone". A search in that App Store turns up zilch.

So you don't use the Apple App Store, but the iTunes Store...

Now who was confused?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Thanks. Yep, I can download it via your link. As can non-Mac users. But your link is to the iTunes Store! Not to the App Store application that Apple released not long ago, especially for iPhone users without PCs or Macs or who don't want to be dependent on them. They also made a version of that application for your Mac. To run in OSX (probably only Leopard and Snow Leopard). Find it in your Applications folder on your Mac. It was pushed by Apple to your Mac, not long ago. With one of the Software Updates. Access it from the menubar, max left, right under the apple icon. It's the third choice. Right after "About this Mac" and "Software Update...". A pretty prominent position in the UI, methinks. That App Store does not list "Find My iPhone". A search in that App Store turns up zilch.

So you don't use the Apple App Store, but the iTunes Store...

Now who was confused?

You are. You're talking about an iPhone App, and you expect to find it in the Mac App Store? You access the iPhone App Store through iTunes. It is still the iPhone App Store. And you CAN actually find the Find My iPhone app through your iPhone's App Store App if you look for it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

A search in that App Store turns up zilch.

Hardly. First result on both devices. 1st-gen iPad running iOS 5 beta 2 and 1st-gen iPhone running iOS 4.2.

Hmm. Trouble opening the Photos app on the iPad. I'll upload the image once that starts working.