Daredevil

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Who else has seen it?

I dug it.

It has violence and stuff. That is entertaining. So is Jennifer Garner in leather.

Yeah.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Jennifer Garner looks like a freaking transsexual when she gets all dolled up like that. Nasty.

Colin Farrell rocked as Bullseye. Favreau and Pantoliano were good too. All the other actors seemed really stiff. It was more enjoyable than X-Men, but Spider-Man set a really high bar.

It definitely deserves better than it's Rotten Tomatoes score.

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I just can't buy Affleck as Daredevil. The only reason the character was every of any interest to me was related to Frank Miller's Elektra Assasin.

I just can't seem to buy in to this film's interpretation of the Daredevil universe. I think that I'll wait until Hulk and X-Men 2 come out later in the year.

I do look forward to hearing other people's reviews of this movie. The CNN review was mighty unkind....running off to read the Rotten Tomatoes review now~
  • Reply 3 of 9
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I have never read the comic so I can't say how true it is to the original. Standing alone I found it a lot more worth-while then most action offerings. Some of the drama could have used more developing in order to have greater impact, but that would have made for a longer movie and could've seemed dragging. I liked watching the hero grapple with the moral implications of his power over people. The "I'm not the bad guy" development was great to see and the contrast between DD at the beginning and DD at the end is good character development. The only gripe I have is the lack of resolution to a certain character's state of being. It seems like this character won't be back, but there's one little thing in the falling action that says to me "perhaps this character will." The suspense is obviously intentional, but damn it, I want to know!

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: Guartho ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 9
    SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

Guartho, in a way, both Bullseye and Elektra could be back. In the comics, Bullseye does kill Elektra with her own sai, but she is later brought back from the dead via ritual. Daredevil also does throw Bullseye from a building, but I don't believe he's killed either.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    It should be rename GAYDEVIL!!!

The fight sequences were lame and over-used recycle crap from other movies. Some of the special effects were just too cheezy.

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: /mandolux/ ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I liked it.

ahem, "Spoiler Alert"

Spoiler Alert

Spoiler Alert

Do I have to repeat it?

Come on now

It could be argued that Bullseye didn't die because we saw him twitching and breathing (or it could be muscle spasms). As for Jenn. come on, the good luck charm in braille? Why didn't they put a big sign saying "She's Alive"? I would like to visit Hell's Kitchen, even though it's more to feed my Deus Ex fascination. Too bad Battery Park wasn't shown.

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: Crusader ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Crusader:

<strong>I liked it.

ahem, "Spoiler Alert"

Spoiler Alert

Spoiler Alert

Do I have to repeat it?

Come on now

It could be argued that Bullseye didn't die because we saw him twitching and breathing (or it could be muscle spasms). As for Jenn. come on, the good luck charm in braille? Why didn't they put a big sign saying "She's Alive"? I would like to visit Hell's Kitchen, even though it's more to feed my Deus Ex fascination. Too bad Battery Park wasn't shown.</strong><hr></blockquote>

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

I just posted about it. In the comics, Elektra dies precisely as she does in the comics. In the comics, she's a ninja/assassin working for Fisk and the member of a whole gang of ninja. The head honcho decides to bring her back to life with some voodoo shittake so he can utilize her again (and completely control her in the process.) I don't know how they can work this into a sequel because that doesn't seem to be how they developed her character at all. And because her character really did die, it's going to be hard to script in her resurrection.

As for Bullseye. I think he's alive. Supposedly he shatters his spine and has it repaired with adamantium of all things...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    haven't seen it yet, but it sounds more or less true to the comic. i thought daredevil borke every bone in bullseye's body in the comic, and as he is recuperating, bullseye develops a rather unhealthy obsession to kill DD.

bullseye was really one of my favorite characters of all time in comics, and fromt he previews i have seen, colin ferrel does a good twisted job of portraying him. it's just that no one but frank miller really knew how to utilize his talent for really cool effects. i still remember the page where bullseye is confronted by a gang of hoodlums, and he kills all of them with a roll of quarters which he break open, and launches them into each one of their throats, crushing their tracheas and leaving them to suffocate, hemmorhage and die.

who says good quality literature is dead?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    just for the heck of it, and because the thread needs a good BUMP, here's what scott kurtz said over at pvponline.com (thankfully, this is a spoiler-free commentary).

(*********************)

An open apology to Ben Affleck - Spoiler free DD review

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003

Dear Mister Affleck,

I owe you an apology.

I was one of many internet ?dipshits? who started crying foul when you were cast as Daredevil. I was positive (having never seen the movie) that you would "suck as Daredevil." I felt that your friend Matt Damon had been unfairly overlooked for the role (especially after seeing THE BOURNE IDENTITY).

Now that I have seen the movie, I realize that an apology is in order. I am a proud man, but I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong. So...here goes.

I'm sorry that I thought you would suck as Daredevil.

I'm sorry for, upon seeing the Daredevil stand-up in my theatre screaming "Damn you, Affleck!" while waving my fists in the air.

I am sorry for purposely groaning out loud during the Daredevil trailer. I'm sorry for not listening to my dad when he told me that Daredevil would be cool. I beleive his exact words were "Daredevil will be a good movie if you can just watch it without being such an asshole."

Thanks for making the secret identity as interesting if not more interesting than the alter-ego. Again, I'm terribly sorry.

Sincerely

Scott R. Kurtz

------------------

I'm very specific about what I want from a comic book movie, ESPECIALLY a superhero movie. Daredevil delivered on all counts. Because of this, any shortcomings that the film might have were easy to discard. DD shined through on several counts.

1) Every new superhero movie ultimately means that I have to endure an origin sequence for every major character when all I want is for them to get into costume and start kicking ass. Daredevil broke that standard. This is not a movie that's sole purpose is "establishing a franchise."

2) Not only does Daredevil stay true to the comic book, it manages to come up with some really great ideas about DD and his powers that no one had come up with yet. On a couple of occasions I thought to myself "Have they done that in the comic? That's really a great idea." I think this is what made the movie brilliant.

3) The action was cool. Superhero cool. Running around and making jumps no human could make, swinging around like no human could. Fun, comic book panels, up on the screen. Wicked cool, guys. Seriously.

You should go see it. Good stuff!

(*********************)

if it makes any difference (which it doesn't, i personally thought edward norton would have been a really great matt murdock/daredevil.

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: rok ]</p>