Chicago nightclub tragedy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/02/17/chicago.nightclub/index.html"; target="_blank">21 die</a> in a nightclub stampede as people try to escape mace and pepper spray used by club security to stop a fight.

Apparently a few exits were locked or blocked.

Big mess, very sad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Very unpleasant: it seems there were a number of fire and safety regulation breaches in the building.

I'm not entirely clear who it was that started throwing the pepper spray and Mace around (some reports say it was the bouncers?), but the management of any venue have a duty of care to ensure the safety of their patrons.

I hope the authorities throw the book at the club's owners.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I just have to shake my head. A lot of stupidity all around. It's just the typical story for this kind of thing. From the city that invented fire codes too.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Get used to it, it won't be long before certain arabs light up the night life in dramatic fashion -- soft targets and all that, in addition to an utter lack of homeland defense or responsible NA wide (harmonized) immigration policies. I sure hope Canada and the US get together on this and start closing of these huge gaping holes in our security.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    PS, I realize this has nothing to do with the immenent threat of terror, but that's what it's gonna look like on a weekly bases. Look what happened once they got started in Isreal, ain't nothin gonna stop em now. It'll be the same here: terror is cost effective -- we may not value arab lives, if the eastern rhetoric is to be believed, but certainly, neither do they.