Adobe courts video professionals in wake of uproar over Apple's Final Cut Pro X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
As a widespread backlash against Apple's Final Cut Pro X continues, Adobe is taking the opportunity to launch a PR offensive, drawing attention to its own non-linear editing solution.

Apple released the "revolutionary" $299 Final Cut Pro X on the Mac App Store last week and quickly found itself the target of criticism. Though response to the software has been mixed, video professionals have been especially vocal about crucial features from Final Cut Pro 7 missing in the upgrade.

"I can't believe what apple did with FCPX," one reviewer wrote on the Mac App Store, comparing the release to Microsoft's roundly criticized Windows Vista operating system update. "This is no longer a professional application... this is just an upgrade of iMovie!!"

The Cupertino, Calif., company has also drawn ire from customers by reportedly designating earlier versions of Final Cut Studio, Express and Server as "end of life." An online petition calling for Apple to either reinstate Final Cut Studio 3, restore Final Cut Pro and downgrade Final Cut Pro X to a "prosumer" product or sell the FCP 7 source code has drawn more than 4,500 signatures.

Dissatisfied customers have reported receiving refunds and surprisingly candid emails from Apple representatives as the company attempts to avoid a public relations debacle. Final Cut Pro X project managers also attempted to defuse the situation by speaking with technology journalist David Pogue to clear up some misunderstandings regarding supposed missing features in the release.

With negative publicity over Final Cut Pro X reaching a near fever pitch, Adobe is attempting to drum up support for its competing Premiere Pro. Public relations representatives for the company have called attention to documents assisting users in switching from Final Cut Pro to Premiere Pro, as well as testimonials from industry professionals using the company's products.

During the preview event for Final Cut Pro in April, Apple boasted 2 million users with a 94 percent satisfaction rate. That satisfaction rate has likely dropped significantly since the release of FCP X, as the application currently has an average rating of 2 1/2 stars with 599 1 star ratings out of a total of 1348.

Apple also claimed the Final Cut Pro user base is growing twice as fast as its competitors, with Adobe and Avid "in a race for second place." By comparison, Adobe touts 22 percent year over year growth in Adobe pro video sales and 45 percent growth on the Mac. The company boasted 2.3 million Adobe Premiere Pro seats in 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 120
    I was thinking about this today.

Going from FCP7 to FCPX is a major change, literally asking everyone to relearn a new editing program. It is not FCP, it is simply a new program. Had another company put this out, it would likely fail. Adobe Premiere is more similar to FCP7 than FCPX is.. and having been a FCP user for many years, if I had to choose one right now, I would go to Adobe. Their production suite is now a better solution than FCPX. Even if they add some of the features back, I really think Apple has screwed themselves.
  • Reply 2 of 120
    mkunertmkunert Posts: 11member
    Called iKeys Pro X. Being touted as revolutionary, the new keyboard discards the inefficient and archaic QWERTY key arrangement in exchange for a new arrangement designed by Apple. Apple is dedicated to extending the keyboards connectivity, as currently the keyboard doesn't connect to any hardware. Nor will it work with any previously written documents. Sales off all other keyboards have declared end-of-life by Apple and are as of today, withdrawn from stores. The resulting furor from professional writers pushed Apple product managers to contact a noted blogger on children's toys and explain through her how the iKeys Pro X's supposedly missing features are actually hidden in the keyboard or are planned improvements. By Sept 2011, Apple plans to reintroduce the letter "R".

Next, Apple plans introduce their own car. It's called the Trabant.
  • Reply 3 of 120
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by september11th View Post

Going from FCP7 to FCPX is a major change, literally asking everyone to relearn a new editing program. It is not FCP, it is simply a new program. Had another company put this out, it would likely fail. Adobe Premiere is more similar to FCP7 than FCPX is.. and having been a FCP user for many years, if I had to choose one right now, I would go to Adobe. Their production suite is now a better solution than FCPX. Even if they add some of the features back, I really think Apple has screwed themselves.

Shh... You'll soon be called an "Apple-basher" and "whiner"... Some on these forums will even tell you, "Go ahead, use Adobe Premiere, good riddance to you".
  • Reply 4 of 120
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I don't think Steve Jobs can fire anyone for this. This is not a problem of execution, this is one of faulty decisions made about product features and positioning. And my understanding is Steve Jobs and only Steve Jobs makes that call.
  • Reply 5 of 120
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mKunert View Post

Called iKeys Pro X. Being touted as revolutionary, the new keyboard discards the inefficient and archaic QWERTY key arrangement in exchange for a new arrangement designed by Apple. Apple is dedicated to extending the keyboards connectivity, as currently the keyboard doesn't connect to any hardware. Nor will it work with any previously written documents. Sales off all other keyboards have declared end-of-life by Apple and are as of today, withdrawn from stores. The resulting furor from customers pushed Apple product managers to contacted a noted blogger on the price of tea in China, and explain to her how some of missing features are actually hidden in the keyboard and or planned improvements. By Sept 2011, Apple plans to reintroduce the letter "R".

Brilliant first post! I'll take the liberty of quoting it in the other Final Cut Pro X thread.
  • Reply 6 of 120
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by september11th View Post

The true problem isn't that FCP X sucks, but Apple's corporate DNA is so against how professionals need them to work, it's probably in everyone's best interest to move to a different environment completely.

Apple has screwed us once, what's to stop them from doing so again?
  • Reply 7 of 120
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    I encourage any angry professional video editor to switch to Adobe Premier and buy a PC with Microsoft Windows too at the same time. I'm sure you'll have a good time without Apple software. FCPX is a revolutionary new product at a truly remarkable price. Apple leads the way again.
  • Reply 8 of 120
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    ?You watch television to turn your brain off and you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on.? ?Steve Jobs

Computing for Jobs has always been about making things better and engaging your brain at all times. If Premiere is a safe heaven for your skills and you are unwilling to learn new paths then perhaps it is the platform for you.
  • Reply 9 of 120
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Some on these forums will even tell you, "Go ahead, use Adobe Premiere, good riddance to you".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

I encourage any angry professional video editor to switch to Adobe Premier and buy a PC with Microsoft Windows too at the same time. I'm sure you'll have a good time without Apple software. FCPX is a revolutionary new product at a truly remarkable price. Apple leads the way again.

I'd say it's on the spot....
  • Reply 10 of 120
    belunosbelunos Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

That you, Steve?
  • Reply 11 of 120
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    Wait a minute. Let me get this right.

Editors are going to give up their current FCP7 Final Cut Studio and start using Premiere Pro, just because they don't like the Final Cut Pro X upgrade ?

I don't think so!

They will upgrade to Final Cut Pro when it includes the futures that they need and want and it becomes compelling to do so.

But move to Premiere Pro from FCP7? Not a chance!
  • Reply 12 of 120
    It's Microsoft's long-term business strategy: wait until the other guy stumbles.
  • Reply 13 of 120
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Back to the old days. Spend another $30k and buy all the competing solutions on all platforms, spend thousands of hours learning all the nuances of each platform and then wait for the market shake out to decide which one will be the industry standard.
  • Reply 14 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post

Wait a minute. Let me get this right.

Editors are going to give up their current FCP7 Final Cut Studio and start using Premiere Pro, just because they don't like the Final Cut Pro X upgrade ?

I don't think so!

They will upgrade to Final Cut Pro when it includes the futures that they need and want and it becomes compelling to do so.

But move to Premiere Pro from FCP7? Not a chance!

We cannot get any further FCP7 licenses.

We cannot get any further FCP7 updates.

What else do you expect us to do? Hang around with a finite number of copies and no support? Sorry, not happening.

We have no roadmap, and now, zero confidence in Apple to get us to some mythical version of FCPX that will make it possible to do our jobs.
  • Reply 15 of 120
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    A lot of people commenting in this don't even realize just HOW bad this thing is. It's nit just functionality, it's the whole package. How do you install it on 300 workstations legally? Do you need 300 iTunes accounts to get it from the app store? Why can't you import old projects? So I'm working on a documentary since 2005, I have to keep it on an old workstation? Why can't I open multiple projects at the same time? What about multiple libraries?

You can't even share projects amongst different editors or export to other professional software. If the sae treatment is given to Logic, Apple's professional credibility will be shot.

Check out this podcast

http://library.creativecow.net/harri...iscardi/FCPX/1
  • Reply 16 of 120
    trip1extrip1ex Posts: 109member
    Talk about overblown.

Give it some time. Features will be added. Ecosystem will develop. Folks will get some experience with it. And perspective will be gained.

Right now you're just hearing a mob, fearful of change, picking the low hanging fruit and whining about it.

The low hanging fruit being the easy to spot missing features. Something any idiot can whine about from the comfort of their armchair without ever having touched the product.
  • Reply 17 of 120
    mstratmstrat Posts: 4member
    As a professional editor, I was looking forward to Final Cut Pro X. I was completely willing to embrace a new way to edit.

That said, my clients would never hire me again if I used what Apple's put out.

Why?

Well, when I cut features I have ensure that my audio tracks are organized properly for the sound mixer for OMF exports.

Now there's a new way of thinking that I thought Apple could have approached to this process that would have been RADICALLY better and still not require that editors need to have tracks. But they didnt even think about it. Because they didnt care about thinking different with pros.

When I cut stuff for TV. I am constantly sharing XMLs with compositors and graphics designers all the time.

Not to mention EDLs for colorists...because there's no such thing as Color anymore.

FC 7 doesnt do what I need that well today compared to other software (AVID and Adobe). I was considering switching to AVID (which I started cutting on years ago) actually a few months back, but some apple software team people encouraged me to hang in there.

Shame on me.

Back to AVID...
  • Reply 18 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

Talk about overblown.

Give it some time. Features will be added. Ecosystem will develop. Folks will get some experience with it. And perspective will be gained.

Right now you're just hearing a mob, fearful of change, picking the low hanging fruit and whining about it.

The low hanging fruit being the easy to spot missing features. Something any idiot can whine about from the comfort of their armchair without ever having touched the product.

You're being absolutely ridiculous. Try actually reading the critiques.
  • Reply 19 of 120
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    In case of last resort there is always cinelerra.org

At least it is free and open source so they won't pull it of the shelves unexpectedly.
  • Reply 20 of 120
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

Talk about overblown.

This is an excellent post. The above should be make a sticky post on the forum for a week, because it's essential reading for everyone who is doubting Apple.