AMD's Hammer not a threat until Q4 2002

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
AMD's Hammer line of processors, based on the x86-64 architecture, will not come until Q4 of this year at the earliest, and may not come until early 2003. First will be Clawhammer for desktops, and Sledgehammer for severs.



It looks like faster Athlons (Thouroughbred??) will be coming for a while this year and AMD may be limited to only achieving 2 GHz this year, or will they?



If the G5 is all that it is claimed to be and appears this summer (or earlier) at MWNY, then it's advantages will not be minimized. The G5 would beat anyone else in being the first 64-bit consumer desktop chip, and will probably scale close to AMD's clock speeds.



The future is still bright.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 19
    Apple can still be innovative? Heard that before..... it's good news though!I'm looking forward to MWNY.



    come on G5 pappa want a new pair of shoes (or is thatPM's)!
  • Reply 2 of 19
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by orb24:

    <strong>Apple can still be innovative? Heard that before..... it's good news though!I'm looking forward to MWNY.



    come on G5 pappa want a new pair of shoes (or is thatPM's)!</strong><hr></blockquote>



    there are other ways to "innovate" other then having the fastest/newest processor design <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" />
  • Reply 3 of 19
    yea like on price
  • Reply 4 of 19
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

    <strong>AMD's Hammer line of processors, based on the x86-64 architecture, will not come until Q4 of this year at the earliest, and may not come until early 2003. First will be Clawhammer for desktops, and Sledgehammer for severs.



    </strong><hr></blockquote>



    Since this has been the published and public information for approximately 6 months now where is the revelation or relevance? Or are you just providing a public service for all those unable to find AMD's roadmaps at their website?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Absolutely, I'd love it if my equipment were 100% recyclable, do you think the market cares about that? What about a machine casing not made of petroleum based plastics? What about something that actually meant companies cared about individuals and not always the bottom line at the expense of the consumer. (Ford <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" /> ) An anti corp, corp. Cool! Think Different! Apple (or any other large corp for that matter) will never be innovative, we're still dependent upon industries and technologies founded in the depths of W.W.I never mind W.W.II. Innovation....? We haven't been innovative for more than 50 years now because corporations of old don't want to spend money on "unnecessary" R&D If it ain't broke don't fix it or make it better for that matter. I'm not quite so blind as you assume. This is a hardware rumors site, is it not?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by orb24:

    <strong>Absolutely, I'd love it if my equipment were 100% recyclable, do you think the market cares about that? What about a machine casing not made of petroleum based plastics? What about something that actually meant companies cared about individuals and not always the bottom line at the expense of the consumer. (Ford <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" /> ) An anti corp, corp. Cool! Think Different! Apple (or any other large corp for that matter) will never be innovative, we're still dependent upon industries and technologies founded in the depths of W.W.I never mind W.W.II. Innovation....? We haven't been innovative for more than 50 years now because corporations of old don't want to spend money on "unnecessary" R&D If it ain't broke don't fix it or make it better for that matter. I'm not quite so blind as you assume. This is a hardware rumors site, is it not?</strong><hr></blockquote>





    somone is smoking some good stuff





    come back down man and wake up
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Apple nut, shut the hell up. (I'm saying that as I'm laughing <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" /> You're son of a bitch. Hope you're laugh'n too... funny sh___
  • Reply 8 of 19
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,891member
    [quote]Originally posted by orb24:

    <strong>Apple nut, shut the hell up. (I'm saying that as I'm laughing <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" /> You're son of a bitch. Hope you're laugh'n too... funny sh___</strong><hr></blockquote>



    You really took applenut to school on that one. [/Sarcasm]





    YOU really ARE smoking crack.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

    <strong>



    You really took applenut to school on that one. [/Sarcasm]





    YOU really ARE smoking crack.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    how'd you get involved, or me for that matter... btw scott h. is cool
  • Reply 10 of 19
    I really hope everyone is laghing... we're cool right? Cuz I'm just having fun waiting for a few LW renders. I didn't need to "take anyone to school". I have little purpose for showboating on an anonymous page. As far as the drug references go, it's not crack! Apple nut hit it on the head. I'm an idealist and a Hippy out of woodstock Ny (temporarily stuck in cali). I smoke my fare share of MJ and laughing, loving life. If the agro responses are for real then I'm sadd .. cuz rassing between people is healthy so long as no one takes themselves to seriously. Beleive me the last thing I'd do is take any response serious I found around here. Jokes, humor, laughter lighten up and get back to the rumors. My reply was a joke meant for Apple Nut. Apple nut, still hope your laughing.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    to tell you the truth I'm a little bit confused
  • Reply 12 of 19
    close enough!
  • Reply 13 of 19
    -@--@- Posts: 39member
    AMD Demonstrates Next-Generation Processor. AMD?s x86-64 Technology is up and runnig!



    <a href="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~15118,00.html"; target="_blank">AMD</a>



    [ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: -@- ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 19
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    The question is, does the G5 stand a chance against the Hammer??



    From what I've heard its either just a bump up from a G4, or a massive boost of speed that that macs have needed for so long.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    If G5 rumors are to be believed then the question should be is the hammer able to stand up to the G5?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    AMD's Hammer not a threat until Q4 2002



    In related news, Motorolla's G5 not a threat until Q4 2003.



    <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" />





    -mithral
  • Reply 17 of 19
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    Hey what about this:

    The G5 is the Hammer. Could that be possible?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    [quote]The G5 is the Hammer. Could that be possible?<hr></blockquote>



    <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" /> <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" />
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Headline:



    Apple to "Hammer" competition with AMD



    Apple, AMD team up to Hammer Intel



    Apple has plans to Hammer competition later this year with AMD processors.
Sign In or Register to comment.