iPad sales will help Apple top HP, become largest mobile PC vendor in 2012

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple is expected to dethrone market leader HP in terms of global notebook shipments next year, if the iPad is categorized as a portable computer.

The revelation comes from industry sources who spoke with DigiTimes. They said Apple is expected to ship a total of 60 million iPads in 2012, out of 80 million total tablets shipped.

When 15 million MacBooks are added into the equation, Apple would ship an estimated 75 million portable PCs in 2012. That would give the Cupertino, Calif., company 25 to 30 percent of the global notebook market.

HP is expected to ship between 45 million and 56 million units this year. And sources in the overseas electronics supply chain reportedly believe that HP will not be able to compete with Apple next year.

With the iPad categorized as a PC, Apple already became the top PC seller in the U.S. last October. Since then, iPad and Mac sales have only continued to grow.

Accordingly, a number of market research firms have begun classifying the iPad as a PC in their analyses. One tally released in January by Canalys found that Apple was the No. 3 worldwide PC maker with combined Mac and iPad sales, behind only Acer and HP.

Arguments against categorizing the iPad as a PC may carry even less weight after the release of iOS 5 this fall, adding PC-free setup to its touchscreen tablet. Wireless iTunes sync over Wi-Fi and iCloud backups will also allow users to ditch any wires in setting up and maintaining their iPhone or iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Imagine being in a coma since 1997 and waking up and reading that Apple is the largest PC vendor in the world.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Accordingly, a number of market research firms have begun classifying the iPad as a PC in their analyses. One tally released in January by Canalys found that Apple was the No. 3 worldwide PC maker with combined Mac and iPad sales, behind only Acer and HP.

We'll see how this plays out. Analysts have a tendency not to look at the big picture and iOS 5.0 allowing complete autonomy from a Mac/PC may not be enough for them, and that's before we consider the ones with ties to MS, Dell, HP et al.

It's a moot point in the end so long as we know the different ways the dog hunts. Apple themselves are calling it a post-PC device which is powerful marketing that has some cons with its pros. For instance, people still think Macs aren't PCs simply because Apple's successful advertising.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    It's even more stunning if you take into account that HP makes on average USD25 (profit) per machine whereas Apple makes USD250 per machine (even when the iPad is included)!
  • Reply 4 of 37
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,281member
    With iOS 5, I don't see how the iPad can't be classified as a "PC", unless they choose not to classify Windows tablets as PCs either. Of course Apple gets to keep the profits either way, so it doesn't really matter, other than to make Gartner et al just look plain silly.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soubriquet View Post

and then the joy of remembering you bought 10,000 shares at $4 back just before you went in the coma

Then remembering it was your wife who bought the stock at $4/share which pissed you off for so foolishly wasting your money so you drove angry caused an accident, ended up in a coma, and the stock was liquidated long ago to pay the remains of your estate after she left you.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Imagine being in a coma since 1997 and waking up and reading that Apple is the largest PC vendor in the world.

This point just never gets old. It is so true. For anyone who was an apple fan in the 1990s, every day is like Christmas now. I don't think I'll ever be able to fully wrap my head around what Apple has accomplished.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple themselves are calling it a post-PC device which is powerful marketing that has some cons with its pros. For instance, people still think Macs aren't PCs simply because Apple's successful advertising.

I know post-PC is such a brilliant marketing move for Apple. After Apple's successful iconic "Get a Mac" ads, to most people Steve is saying its a post Microsoft world

Genius just genius
  • Reply 8 of 37
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

With iOS 5, I don't see how the iPad can't be classified as a "PC", unless they choose not to classify Windows tablets as PCs either. Of course Apple gets to keep the profits either way, so it doesn't really matter, other than to make Gartner et al just look plain silly.

Because of Lion moreso than iOS 5. Lion brings a lot of autonomy between Apples OSs.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Because of Lion moreso than iOS 5. Lion brings a lot of autonomy between Apples OSs.

How so? It's iOS 5.0 that makes it possible to set up the device sans first tethering it to a Mac or PC running iTunes.

It can even do OTA syncing and will have delta updates for OS and apps. Unfortunately it appears that iTunes 10.5 still requires the app proper to be running for the OTA syncing to work, at least in manual mode. I find this to be a let down and hope it's adjusted by the time it's officially released.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    When Steve Jobs introduced the iPad, he talked about it being "the fourth screen". It's neither a PC or a smartphone. It's a new category of device.

Obviously the analysts are having a hard time getting their heads around this concept. I wonder if the first automobiles were lumped in with horse sales by the analysts of the time?
  • Reply 11 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

This point just never gets old. It is so true. For anyone who was an apple fan in the 1990s, every day is like Christmas now. I don't think I'll ever be able to fully wrap my head around what Apple has accomplished.

Another indicator is how apoplectic and enraged the Apple haters have become. I'm surprised some of them haven't stroked out by now. They used to be sort of tongue-in-cheek in their dismissal of Apple, poor Maccies and all that. Now they literally run around with their hair on fire, unable to cope with how Apple has rocked their world. If that's not success I don't know what is.

Like all things, though, Apple will eventually fall. That's how the universe works.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Another indicator is how apoplectic and enraged the Apple haters have become. I'm surprised some of them haven't stroked out by now. They used to be sort of tongue-in-cheek in their dismissal of Apple, poor Maccies and all that. Now they literally run around with their hair on fire, unable to cope with how Apple has rocked their world. If that's not success I don't know what is.

Looking at the Neilsen marketshare stagnating at 27% for the whole of 2011 I'd say they are stroking out in line with the market growth rate. How else can you explain a "free" and "open" platform have zero growth in a fast growing market.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

1) Sure, go ahead and classify Windows tablets as 'computers.'

2) Gartner et. al need no help in looking plain silly.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Then remembering it was your wife who bought the stock at $4/share which pissed you off for so foolishly wasting your money so you drove angry caused an accident, ended up in a coma, and the stock was liquidated long ago to pay the remains of your estate after she left you.

• Reply 15 of 37
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

Apple is expected to dethrone market leader HP in terms of global notebook shipments next year, if the iPad is categorized as a portable computer.

The revelation comes from industry sources who spoke with DigiTimes. They said Apple is expected to ship a total of 60 million iPads in 2012, out of 80 million total tablets shipped.

It should be pointed out that of the 20 million non-iPad tablets shipped, probably half of them will linger on store shelves. My guess is that a million of those non-iPad tablets purchased will be returned.

Therefore, Apple would have 60 million out of 69 million units, which is about 87% marketshare. Unsurprisingly, that's very close to the current tablet usage statistics.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:

It's a fact that the iPad is a portable computer.

J.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soubriquet View Post

and then the joy of remembering you bought 10,000 shares at $4 back just before you went in the coma

However, since you were in a coma, someone was managing your affairs and they sold them as garbage.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

J.

So is the iPhone, but it's clearly a different category.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

J.

If the numerous reports we've seen -- and numerous CEOs bemoaning the same fact -- about iPads eating into PC sales are true (and I am inclined to think they are), then it would make perfect sense to think of iPads as a portable computer. And, it would make perfect sense to redefine the market as such.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If the numerous reports we've seen -- and numerous CEOs bemoaning the same fact -- about iPads eating into PC sales are true (and I am inclined to think they are), then it would make perfect sense to think of iPads as a portable computer. And, it would make perfect sense to redefine the market as such.

I guess a lot of it will come down to lobbying by the firms involved, HP et al may want them to keep tablets as a separate category and Apple may be quite happy with that arrangement too. It will be interesting to see how the memes play out though.