Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Golden Master to developers

Comments

• Reply 121 of 152
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Actually, I believe what you're referring to was Apple's "AtEase," which was basically a kid-friendly GUI atop the standard System GUI. We had Macs in our grade school and they all had this interface to prevent kids from actually accessing the main desktop and messing things up.

You're absolutely right! Thanks for fixing my memory.
  • Reply 122 of 152
    With regards to the "British humor" posts ... I watched the movie "Paul" last night.

Oh my god that was funny ... while not a British production, it had a lot of the same type of subtle humor (as well as numerous references to other Sci-Fi films.)

The Christian fundies over here would probably be offended by it though.
  • Reply 123 of 152
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You jest, right?

The power, flexibility and ease of use of Lion is astounding. It takes only seconds to get used to the new multi touch gestures. There is far more to it than a few tiles.

Lets hold off judgment on windows 8 until it is out in the hands of the public or at least non MS folks in pre release form, this is coming this fall. We can comment on Lion now cause tis been wide enough out there that non apple people are talking about it publicly
  • Reply 124 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple better get that data center online before they release Lion. The download speed is is really slow for the GM seed. I have a 5 Mbps connection but I'm only getting around 1 from Apple. It has taken literally all day and still not done with a 3.74 GB download. This will really be a an issue for many people which is clearly why they are waiting to release any new hardware updates until they can ship it with Lion installed. A new switcher would be very upset if they had to go through what is now a multi-hour download just to get the latest OS. We Apple veterans tend to be a little more forgiving.

Hey there Apple Veteran, better check yr data trunk. Only took me the usual 20 minutes or so to DL the latest OS
  • Reply 125 of 152
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hitheringwaters View Post

Hey there Apple Veteran, better check yr data trunk. Only took me the usual 20 minutes or so to DL the latest OS

Not sure what a trunk is. But I'm getting fast speeds from all other major providers. It may be a TWC thing with Apple but for example to download the the java for 10.7 I was only getting 40k and it timed out twice, but I can send and receive to from Japan to California normal files at at full speed.
  • Reply 126 of 152
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    This is definitely on your end. I download from apple quite a bit, actually am downloading newest Xcode beta from them right now at 3.4MB/sec.

If you're on Comcast I'd look into automatic throttles based on places you may have downloaded from a bit.
  • Reply 127 of 152
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

This is definitely on your end. I download from apple quite a bit, actually am downloading newest Xcode beta from them right now at 3.4MB/sec.

If you're on Comcast I'd look into automatic throttles based on places you may have downloaded from a bit.

Throttling is really the only explanation I suppose since it makes sense that Time Warner would view downloads from Apple as competition to their video business even though this wasn't video. I can totally see them doing something like that though.
  • Reply 128 of 152
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

If we are a developer and we install the GM, will we have to worry about Lion on release? Or do we already have the release version?

It will probably be the same as the release version - that's the point of naming it GM.

As far as I remember, only the first Intel version of Mac OS X had a GM2.

Since Apple can release delta updates, it will be easier to release a small 10.7.1 update than making new images for the Macs on the assembly line.
  • Reply 129 of 152
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefingers View Post

If I'm not mistaken, you'll have to pay $29 like the rest of us.

You're mistaken.
  • Reply 130 of 152
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

With regards to the "British humor" posts ... I watched the movie "Paul" last night.

Oh my god that was funny ... while not a British production, it had a lot of the same type of subtle humor (as well as numerous references to other Sci-Fi films.)

The Christian fundies over here would probably be offended by it though.

Is there anything they're not offended by? I mean other than Mel Gibson. Against whom any offense would actually be well deserved.
  • Reply 131 of 152
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Throttling is really the only explanation I suppose since it makes sense that Time Warner would view downloads from Apple as competition to their video business even though this wasn't video. I can totally see them doing something like that though.

Do you use open DNS or any other public DNS? That could be your problem.
  • Reply 132 of 152
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Now where did that self-described high-IQ guy go? I was so looking forward to more verbal sparring but it appears that the kitchen just got a little too hot for his tender hide.
  • Reply 133 of 152
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    ^--- Yah I saw that coming as soon as he posted.
  • Reply 134 of 152
    <duplicate post>
  • Reply 135 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Now where did that self-described high-IQ guy go? I was so looking forward to more verbal sparring but it appears that the kitchen just got a little too hot for his tender hide.

I am astounded at the awful sense of humor people in this thread have. The guy made a joke; you all ruined it.
  • Reply 136 of 152
    rmusikantowrmusikantow Posts: 105member
    I guess the rumors of a Lion release today have turned out to be false.
  • Reply 137 of 152
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

I guess the rumors of a Lion release today have turned out to be false.

What rumors of a Lion release today? All I've ever heard is the 14th.
  • Reply 138 of 152
    alewalew Posts: 15member
    anybody find that Lion has slowed down startup a little bit, even when it's told not to remember the current softwares open?
  • Reply 139 of 152
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Does 10.7 Lion boot by default with a 32-bit or a 64-bit kernel?
  • Reply 140 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Does 10.7 Lion boot by default with a 32-bit or a 64-bit kernel?

64 bit. 32-bit isn't even supported under Lion.