Using iPad with a G5 10.4.11

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just got an iPad for Father's Day only to find out that I cannot use it with the iMac G5 OS X 10.4.11

The Apple store can activate the iPad for me but then I cannot sync it with iTunes at home.

I had read in one of the threads that if I upgrade my Mac from 512 MB to 2GB and increase the capacity of the hard drive (to ??) that the 10.5.8 version of OS (Leopard) would work smoothly.

Is this true and when I include all the costs to get it done am I better off with a new 2.5 GHz 21.5 inch Mac instead. Please advise. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Hard drive size has nothing to do with it, but you'll certainly want more than 512 MB of RAM to run Leopard on, yep.

RAM for these things isn't much more expensive than RAM for current models, so it'd be fine to just buy RAM instead of an entirely new computer.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT RAM FOR YOUR MODEL.

These are the two types of RAM. Look at what model you have and then buy from the right link.

PowerMac 8,1 & 8,2: These don't have an iSight camera.

PowerMac 12,1: These have an iSight camera.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post

Just got an iPad for Father's Day only to find out that I cannot use it with the iMac G5 OS X 10.4.11

The Apple store can activate the iPad for me but then I cannot sync it with iTunes at home.

I had read in one of the threads that if I upgrade my Mac from 512 MB to 2GB and increase the capacity of the hard drive (to ??) that the 10.5.8 version of OS (Leopard) would work smoothly.

Is this true and when I include all the costs to get it done am I better off with a new 2.5 GHz 21.5 inch Mac instead. Please advise. Thanks

You should be able to put Leopard on your machine with no upgrades needed since it sounds like your computer matches the minimun requirements. But if you can afford a new iMac you should go for it
  • Reply 3 of 6
    deekaydeekay Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

You should be able to put Leopard on your machine with no upgrades needed since it sounds like your computer matches the minimun requirements. But if you can afford a new iMac you should go for it

Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tallest skil View Post

hard drive size has nothing to do with it, but you'll certainly want more than 512 mb of ram to run leopard on, yep.

Ram for these things isn't much more expensive than ram for current models, so it'd be fine to just buy ram instead of an entirely new computer.

Make sure you get the right ram for your model.

These are the two types of ram. Look at what model you have and then buy from the right link.

powermac 8,1 & 8,2: These don't have an isight camera.

powermac 12,1: These have an isight camera.

THANKS. What is a good place to get the RAM installed? Appreciated your quick response.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post

THANKS. What is a good place to get the RAM installed? Appreciated your quick response.

Do it yourself. Easy as pie. There are even instructions written on the base of the iMac's stand.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Thanks. Happy 4th