Prototype iPhone 4 listed for sale on eBay

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A prototype version of Apple's iPhone 4, based on test hardware built before the device went into mass production, has appeared for sale on eBay [updated].

Update: The device originally listed has since been pulled from eBay. However, another model listed as a "genuine prototype" and with a white paint job is also available.

The new listing from seller "jtmaxo" was set to expire on July 11. The posting referred to the device as a "prototype," and notes that the serial number written on it is not valid when entered on Apple's website.

The device has "DF1692" etched in the bottom right corner. According to This is my next, that unique code is meant to allow Apple to keep track of what prototype hardware belongs to a certain employee.

"We're hearing through the grapevine that this particular unit has hardware similar to Gizmodo's prototype last year -- not identical to the retail version internally, though we don't know exactly what has changed," the report said.

It was a different prototype iPhone 4 that was obtained and shown off last April. Gizmodo got their hands on the hardware after a third party obtained the pre-release device at a California bar.

That unit was being tested by an Apple software engineer, and the device was encased in a plastic case intended to disguise it and make it look like a previous-generation iPhone 3GS. The source of the latest prototype posted on eBay is unknown.

The seller said that the phone has some signs of wear, and it will not activate via iTunes with the AT&T network when plugged into a computer. iTunes presents an error suggesting that the user visit their nearest AT&T or Apple retail store.

On the back side, the model number, FCC ID storage and other information displayed on the prototype iPhone are replaced with Xs. The volume buttons also do not have the usual "+" and "-" symbols, though the rest of the device has a similar external appearance to the final iPhone 4 that was eventually released last June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    davejaydavejay Posts: 7member
    It's up to a million bucks already!

EDIT: OK, wait... A few hours later, and It's down to $1,755.99 now... I don't get it.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Why do people still perceive eBay as a credible place to shop?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Well, I've actually had good luck with eBay. Also, if you pay via PayPal, your purchase is pretty much guaranteed. That being said, every purchase is not perfect and you have to know what you're doing and investigate the seller before closing the deal. A good seller will allow refunds if the item is defective or not what was expected.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Because as long as your PayPal protection is a larger amount of money than your bid, it is a credible place to shop.

Cue "Jason Chen selling his prototype to pay for legal fees" jokes.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    I'm calling BS. There is no reasonable way to confirm this, and since the serial number has been disclosed, if it was real, Apple Legal would already have tracked down the leak, closed the auction, and done god only knows what horrible thing to the leaker.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    I suspect whoever is selling the iPhone is not the owner and Apple will eventually chime in. Stand by for lawyers after the holiday.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cheesehed View Post

Well, I've actually had good luck with eBay. Also, if you pay via PayPal, your purchase is pretty much guaranteed. That being said, every purchase is not perfect and you have to know what you're doing and investigate the seller before closing the deal. A good seller will allow refunds if the item is defective or not what was expected.

So I can assume that someone is willing, able and ready to pay the million dollars?

For just buying something eBay is probably okay. When bidding for a serious or household auction item you never know if the other bid(s) are shill bid(s), intended to uncover your maximum bid. It's too easy to disguise who you are and too difficult to trace who you're bidding against. A smart seller could get away with it over and over. The eBay penalty might be a few days suspension if caught.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city

The eBay penalty might be a few days suspension if caught.

Or you might end up with a fine.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/05/ebay_shill/

I'm not sure why anyone would even want a prototype iPhone 4. Don't they know they can get a brand new one? A prototype iPhone 5 I would understand.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm not sure why anyone would even want a prototype iPhone 4. Don't they know they can get a brand new one? A prototype iPhone 5 I would understand.

The same reason stamp collectors often pay more for stamps that were misprinted and withdrawn, rarity.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

I agree. The desire to spend that kind of money for this is, at its core, idolatry. Idolatry is not a good thing.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

If it was signed by Steve J. it might worth something... but in the long run, as the guys on Pawn Stars would say, I got nothing for you.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If it was signed by Steve J. it might worth something... but in the long run, as the guys on Pawn Stars would say, I got nothing for you.

I think it would be pretty cool to have
  • Reply 13 of 28
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Idolatry is not a good thing.

Who are you, Moses or somebody?

People like to collect things. Many people like to collect and keep Mac related items. It's not surprising that collectors would want to get their paws on an Apple prototype.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    vachivachi Posts: 12member
    holly shit, its already a million dollars
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vachi View Post

holly shit, its already a million dollars

It's not really a holy shit, because that's obviously a fake bid. Any ass can go to ebay and bid a million dollars for whatever item.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

I think it would be pretty cool to have

I want a prototype iPhone 1... with Steve's signature on it!
  • Reply 17 of 28
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Why would someone pay money for a bricked iPhone?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I want a prototype iPhone 1... with Steve's signature on it!

I want a prototype of the tablet they made in aught four that ran full OS X that Steve rejected because it was pointless.

I also want a prototype of the tablet that they made later that Steve said, "We could make a phone out of this!" about.

THOSE would be worth quite a bit.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

The seller may not had been caught if he didn't sell a "clocked minibus", using the same contact details and IP address for the shill activity isn't smart either. In any case, I'm glad to see eBay is on the case and hopefully they can detect the smarter shills given all the money they are spending on the problem.

Now the price is $1,725. Bids were retracted!
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Why would someone pay money for a bricked iPhone?

Collectors and people who have the money to pay for one? I doubt that somebody is looking to buy a prototype to actually make phone calls with it or to use it. If that was their objective, they could simply head on down to their nearest Apple store and get a brand new phone.

Like Alexander Graham Bell's phone, the iPhone is a piece of history.