Apple issues third beta of iOS 5 to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday issued iOS 5 beta 3 to developers, the latest pre-release build of its forthcoming mobile operating system update for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

Those with access to the latest beta now available for download said it is dubbed Build 9A5259f. Any significant changes to the software are not yet known.

People familiar with the new build said that iMessage users on iOS 5 beta 3 will be unable to communicate with iMessage users running iOS 5 beta 1. Communication between beta 3 and beta 2 reportedly works just fine.

The new software is also said to fix an issue in which the Apple TV screen saver could degrade mirroring performance over AirPlay. iOS 5 will allow wireless mirroring when used in concert with the new Apple TV.

Also reportedly addressed in the latest build is an issue where the Reminders application did not send notifications upon the entry or exit of a location if there is no specific date associated with the location-based reminder.

The pre-release software, which is made available to members of Apple's iOS development community, is not intended for use on end-user machines. A list of bugs that still remain in the latest build were reportedly provided to developers with beta 3.

The second iOS 5 beta was released in late June, and it brought about wireless syncing of devices. Wireless syncing with an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch also requires that developers be running a beta version of Apple's iTunes desktop client.

Accordingly, a new, third beta of iTunes 10.5 was also provided to developers on Monday.

The first beta of iOS 5 was issued to developers after it was unveiled in early June. The final software, which will become publicly available this fall, will pack more than 200 new user features including the new Notification Center.

Also released on Monday to developers was a new golden master for Xcode 4.1. It reportedly features interface builder support for auto layout, new Aqua controls, and full-screen support in the main Xcode workspace.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday issued iOS 5 beta 3 to developers, the latest pre-release build of its forthcoming mobile operating system update for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

Those with access to the latest beta now available for download said it is dubbed Build 9A5259f. Any significant changes to the software are not yet known.

People familiar with the new build said that iMessage users on iOS 5 beta 3 will be unable to communicate with iMessage users running iOS 5 beta 1. Communication between beta 3 and beta 2 reportedly works just fine.

The new software is also said to fix an issue in which the Apple TV screen saver could degrade mirroring performance over AirPlay. iOS 5 will allow wireless mirroring when used in concert with the new Apple TV.

Also reportedly addressed in the latest build is an issue where the Reminders application did not send notifications upon the entry or exit of a location if there is no specific date associated with the location-based reminder.

The pre-release software, which is made available to members of Apple's iOS development community, is not intended for use on end-user machines. A list of bugs that still remain in the latest build were reportedly provided to developers with beta 3.

The second iOS 5 beta was released in late June, and it brought about wireless syncing of devices. Wireless syncing with an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch also requires that developers be running a beta version of Apple's iTunes desktop client.

Accordingly, a new, third beta of iTunes 10.5 was also provided to developers on Monday.

The first beta of iOS 5 was issued to developers after it was unveiled in early June. The final software, which will become publicly available this fall, will pack more than 200 new user features including the new Notification Center.

Also released on Monday to developers was a new golden master for Xcode 4.1. It reportedly features interface builder support for auto layout, new Aqua controls, and full-screen support in the main Xcode workspace.

I've been playing with iOS5 on the iPad. Frankly, I just can't get as excited about the new notification system as some others. Sure, it's less obtrusive. But there are more exciting things in life than this?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

But there are more exciting things in life than this?

Billions of things are more exciting than this, but as one who is testing this, it's nice to see progress since Beta 1.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Waiting to see if the iPad switching off bug has been fixed before putting this back on my iPad 2. The iPad would completely power off after a couple of minutes when using the smart cover in the earlier betas. Also issues with playing back videos, e.g. youtube wouldn't work etc.

Still borked on the iPad 2. Crashes it out to a black screen.

Ok on the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

But there are more exciting things in life than this?

Strange comment for a forum that focuses on Apple products.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday issued iOS 5 beta 3 to developers, the latest pre-release build of its forthcoming mobile operating system update for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. ...

if only Steve Jobs would let us use that nice white paper in the reminders app for the Notes app.

I swear I'm almost ready to jailbreak just to get rid of that horrible yellow foolscap.

... and you know when something like this (using non-yellow paper), is inexplicably denied by Apple without any reason even when it's almost deliberately unattractive it's pretty much certain that it's a "Steve decision."

(and yes I've tried all the other notes apps and found them wanting).
  • Reply 6 of 23
    homiehomie Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

if only Steve Jobs would let us use that nice white paper in the reminders app for the Notes app.

I swear I'm almost ready to jailbreak just to get rid of that horrible yellow foolscap.

... and you know when something like this (using non-yellow paper), is inexplicably denied by Apple without any reason even when it's almost deliberately unattractive it's pretty much certain that it's a "Steve decision."

Whine much? Check the App Store. You will find plenty of other notes apps and you may find one with other features you would like too.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Homie View Post

Whine much? Check the App Store. You will find plenty of other notes apps and you may find one with other features you would like too.

And you missed his last sentence.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    I'm curious how much overlap there exists between Reminders and Notes.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

Post nasty replies to posts you didn't read properly for no reason much?

I said I already tried them all right in the post dude.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

write one that offers a choice of attractive page options and has all the features you like.

put it up on the app store

profit?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

write one that offers a choice of attractive page options and has all the features you like.

put it up on the app store

profit?

I'm on it.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Quote:

I'm guessing someone can extract money from apple is they use white paper.

"There's a patent for that."
  • Reply 13 of 23
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    How about AirPrint? Hello? Bueler?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

You edited it.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

You edited it.

The relevant text is INSIDE THE QUOTE IN YOUR FIRST POST.

Nice try.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    ATT carrier profile is now 10.2.4, Camera now remembers what my HDR, flash settings were, safari copy/paste now works, video controls are working now in safari (although I can't get youtube to play a video in safari), it does seem a bit faster. Facetime works too. Custom text tones are enabled.

On the negative side, the camera app still shows a deleted thumbnail on the bottom left side. The camera roll is blank however. Irritating.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    the XCode GM is 4.2, not 4.1...
  • Reply 18 of 23
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

I'm guessing someone can extract money from apple is they use white paper.

"There's a patent for that."

It's sad to say that you might actually be right!

I'm with the prof on this - Notes is a great application with the exception of the paper color. Wish I could change it.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

You edited it.

Magically, without AI noticing it and inserting the non-optional edit note, right?

See?
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The relevant text is INSIDE THE QUOTE IN YOUR FIRST POST.

Nice try.

ooops. You are correct. I guess I missed it.

Regardless. Whining about the color of the notes page on a story about a whole new beta of the entire OS is a little silly. That was all I was trying to point out. I should have ignored the moronic post.

My bad.