MacBook Pro or iMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My wife and I are looking to upgrade our old iMac. We are trying to decide between the portability of a 15" MacBook Pro with a 2.2 GHz i7 or the performance of a 27" iMac with a 3.1 GHz i5. Either option will be upgraded to 8 GB RAM. My wife is a print designer whose looking to move into web design. How big of a performance difference would there be between the two options. She will more than likely be running Illustrator, Photoshop & inDesign Suite 6 at the same time while working. Thanks for the feedback.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yukoncornelius View Post

Either option will be upgraded to 8 GB RAM.

Don't waste your money on Apple's RAM, though.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    The two machines aren't in the same category so its hard to say. There's a significant different in working off a 15 in screen than there is a 27 in screen.

Do you want mobility or not? Done, decision made.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    If it were my choice I would go with the desktop and better performance. My wife unfortunately thinks she needs the mobility. If she actually planned on leaving the house with it I would agree but I can't see her really traveling with it. Thanks for the feedback. More than likely I'll go with the desktop. Hard to beat that 27" screen.