What's the deal with Launchpad?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So, we've got the dock for our favorite apps, and the applications folder for the not-so-often used apps. What's the reason for Launchpad? Seems like a wrong thought to add another layer to manage files, which was clearly made for touch devices anyway. And, for the sole reason of hiding the filesystem, something that's unwise for the desktop crowd, dealing with software relying on folders and files.

Full screen apps: do we really need it? I mean, in full screen you're in a separate 'space', adding more confusement to beginner users.

The Expose 2.0 thing (forgot the name); looks powerful bit very messy.

Anyway, I'm not bashing, just worried that the OS will become more complex for beginners and is trying to please both touch and desktop users. It looks overcomplex to me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

What's the reason for Launchpad?

Having another option with which the iDevice crowd is more familiar.

So don't use it.

Quote:

Full screen apps: do we really need it?

So don't use them.

Quote:

The Expose 2.0 thing (forgot the name); looks powerful bit very messy.

Mission Control.

So don't use it.

Quote:

more complex for beginners

This is simplification. How do you not see that?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Man walks into a doctor room.

Man Says: "If I bent my arm this way, it really hurts!"

Doctor says: "So don't bent it that way. Next!"

Anyway, the actual discussion is if it's really simplification, or the opposite. If you don't have anything constructive to add, why bother posting a reply?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Having another option with which the iDevice crowd is more familiar.

So don't use it.

So don't use them.

Mission Control.

So don't use it.

This is simplification. How do you not see that?

• Reply 3 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Man walks into a doctor room.

Man Says: "If I bent my arm this way, it really hurts!"

Doctor says: "So don't bent it that way. Next!"

Implying Launchpad breaks ANYTHING. It doesn't.

Quote:

Anyway, the actual discussion is if it's really simplification, or the opposite. If you don't have anything constructive to add, why bother posting a reply?

I added that it's simplification. You ignored that.

You're used to the old way of doing things. So am I; I grew up with System 6 and have used everything in between.

Mission Control took getting used to because I loved the old Spaces so much and never used Exposé. Now I'm fine with how Mission Control works.

Consider Launchpad a pre-made Applications Stack. New users don't have to care at all about Stacks, how to make them, how they work, how they look, and folder navigation within them. All they have to know is "Click this rocketship and all my applications show up. I can make folders... like on my iDevice that I bought before I had my first Mac!... and open and close them just like on it.".
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Lion Complex - Too many new features, takes time to get used to.

Lion Complex - Makes work done faster, Mission control is WoW!, would have loved it if the space' thumbnail be all round the screen.

Full Screen is very useful, esp with browsing- many webpages are without any "page" boundaries.

And well i cant afford a 27". Image/sound editing apps could use all the space on screen they can get, simply an advantage for programmers & users.