Bush about post war Iraq

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Bush speech yesterday talked about a post war Iraq and middle east. It had some interesting points. On face value it was a liberal ("liberal" in the meaning of International Relations vocabulary) vision with peace for the entire region with a new Iraq as an inspiration. He even talked about Israel and said "no new settlements".

The visions in it was great and I wish I was able to believe that that would be the result. Unfortunatly I am realistic enough to know that that this is pre war rhetoric that will have no meaning when and after the weapons speak/has spoken. Always before wars promises are being made that are never fulfilled afterwards.

I liked the talk but doubt very much that he will walk the walk. But I recognise the good "intentions"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I think the US will follow through. This will be good for the world. Freedom is a human right. When you have freedom you allow people to reach new levels of living. In America in the dark past of African American slavery those slaves were not living life to the potential they could have if free. They were restricted by wrongful acts and policies that were in place because of selfish and evil people. To provide a framework and system for freedom has allowed for African Americans to reach amazing new levels in life. Tiger Woods, Colin Powell, Bill Cosby, Oprah, Michael Jackson, all have reached amazing new levels of living. Those examples are great examples of how far a person can go with the reality of freedom however freedom can take many simple forms such as just the freedom to live life as one wishes. to be able to worship or not worship a God / god's as you wish. To have freedom of speech and many other examples. As humans we have this right and those who have it must learn to make a way of provision for this right to take place with those who do not have it now. Let us not be a world that prevents people from being who they really are. I hope for peace and freedom for all the world.

It does not come free but we can all and we all should do our part to ensure this kind of human existance for all.

Fellowship
  • Reply 2 of 7
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Why do you put the word "intentions" in quotation marks?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    A more realistic view is that when this war is over instead of Mohammad from Kufa becoming the new Cosby he will be forgotten when the attention is moved to other areas like NK.

The kurds was promised a homeland before the first war against Iraq was started. The Turks was promised a lot of money. Neither of those promises was met afterwards.

In essence american FP is in the realistic tradition most purely formulated by Kissinger with a liberal coating when needed.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Why do you put the word "intentions" in quotation marks?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Because I don´t believe they will follow through with them. Its pure strategic coating of a realist policy.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [quote]He even talked about Israel and said "no new settlements".<hr></blockquote>

As I'm sure you know that this isn't the first time that Bush has said the settlements need to end and I'm sure also that you know that it had no impact in the past. Sharon won't stop the settlements, even the illegal ones, even with a bit of nudging. It would take a full out public confrontation with the US and/or a change in leadership to get Israel to move on that issue. I won't hold my breath.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    More assumptions from another corner. In one ear, out the other. Seems no one is willing to listen to anyone else, so what's the point in talking?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Huh?

I said the idea presented by Bush is beautiful and importent to hold as an ideal. But based on

1) Both the former experience with most of the current administration (when it was conducting the first iraq war under GWBs father)

2) The overall approach to IR of the current administration

I doubt very much that it will have any real meaning when it comes down to reality. Thats not in of one ear-out the other. Its a analysis. Quick and dirty yes, but nonetheless an analysis