ITC rules HTC violating two of Apple's iPhone-related patents

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The U.S. International Trade Commission made an initial ruling on Friday that HTC's handsets illegally violate two patented inventions found in Apple's iPhone.

The initial decision came from a judge at the ITC, who found, according to CNet, that HTC violated two of the 10 patents Apple had accused the company of violating in a complaint filed in March. HTC has already said it will appeal the decision.

"HTC will vigorously defend these two remaining patents through an appeal before the ITC commissioners who make the final decision," Grace Lei, general counsel for HTC, reportedly said. "This is only one step of many in these legal proceedings."

Cases with the ITC are ruled on by a judge. Those findings are then subject to review by the full commission.

The decision comes just days after Apple filed another complaint with the ITC, asking it to block the import of HTC handsets based on alleged violation of five new patents. That prompted HTC to publicly fire back on Tuesday, accusing Apple of resorting to legal tactics rather than "competing fairly in the market."

But Friday's initial ruling is part of an earlier lawsuit, filed by Apple in March of 2010.

In that original complaint, Apple initially accused the Taiwanese company of infringing on 20 patents related to the iPhone's user interface, underlying architecture and hardware. In a statement, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said though market competition is "healthy," competitors should not "steal" Apple's technology.

Apple's complaint specifically targeted a number of phones that run Google's Android mobile operating system, leading many to believe the real purpose of the complaint was to serve as a warning shot toward Google. For its part, HTC fired back with its own lawsuit, accusing Apple of infringing on five patents.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    Google: You can't steal something and then just give it away for free.

it's pay time baby.
  • Reply 2 of 82
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Lol if Apple make money from Android sales. ( That said Nokia make money from Apple).
  • Reply 3 of 82
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    which patents, that's critical

i bet schmidt knows

i bet they are working on work arounds

i guess that ota update will surprise customers

or just ban them
  • Reply 4 of 82
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I will advice my children that of they want to make very good money to study law focussing on intellectual property rights. I will probably fall asleep listening to them talk about their work, and god knows, so might they, but if they can take the boredom it seeks like a safe bet.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Lol if Apple make money from Android sales. ( That said Nokia make money from Apple).

Nokia will only make money as long as Apple uses 3G.

2012 all Apple products will be 4G.
  • Reply 6 of 82
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

it's pay time baby.

Google does not care.

They don't sell Android.

Android makers sells Android and they should pay.

Apple got the Multi touch patent 3 weeks ago.

Since then 5 Android makers have signed deals with MSFT paying 5-15 dollar per Android device. They believe that MSFT patent portfolio would protect them from Apple.

Apple invent iPhone and Multi touch. Google buys Android and orders Android to clone Iphone. Android makers pay licensing fees to MSFT.

MSFT will make about a billion next year in licensing fees for Android.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

2012: two Apple products MIGHT be 4G. No others will.
  • Reply 9 of 82
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

2012: two Apple products MIGHT be 4G. No others will.

The Macbook Air and the Macbook Pro are two targets that look likely to include NFC and 4G.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    The patents are not directly related to the iPhone (granted back in the 90s) so I think Apple will license these patents. HTC will most likely sign a deal followed by other deals with other Android makers.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

it's pay time baby.

HTC not Google
  • Reply 12 of 82
    abarryabarry Posts: 31member
    I was wondering who really benfits if Android is curtailed. It appears both Apple and MS.

If hell is broken loose on the Android OEMs, and they aren't allowed to export their handsets into to US, they may have no choice but to start using Win7 and pay MS - they're paying it anyway for every Android set they manufacture.

Apple will benefit bc iOS is head and shoulders above Win 7, and will sell liked hotter-cakes.
  • Reply 13 of 82
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Ah, the beginning of the end to cheating on Apple's IP.

Look for mea culpas and a quick settlements.
  • Reply 14 of 82
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abarry View Post

I was wondering who really benfits if Android is curtailed. It appears both Apple and MS.

If hell is broken loose on the Android OEMs, and they aren't allowed to export their handsets into to US, they may have no choice but to start using Win7 and pay MS - they're paying it anyway for every Android set they manufacture.

Apple will benefit bc iOS is head and shoulders above Win 7, and will sell liked hotter-cakes.

Or maybe, each maker will be innovative and make their own OS and actually not be an Android clone.
  • Reply 15 of 82
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:

In 2012 Apple products will contain both 3G and 4G
  • Reply 16 of 82
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    HTC bought S3 Graphics this month to bargain with Apple patents.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

In 2012 Apple products will contain both 3G and 4G

You don't know that. No one knows that. And only two Apple products have any chance of having LTE at all.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

Or maybe, each maker will be innovative and make their own OS and actually not be an Android clone.

Why has to make a new OS?

Apple sued for 10 patents and before the final resolution the infringement is on 4 of 29 claims of one patent and 4 of 42 claims of another.

Why a totally new os has to be done?
  • Reply 19 of 82
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Yap, I predict a big success of Apple 4G only products in Europe
  • Reply 20 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

HTC not Google

Quote:

I have looked at those patents before and they appear to be very fundamental. They are very likely to be infringed by code that is at the core of Android.

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011...gement-of.html