Google's Schmidt: Apple responding to Android with lawsuits, not innovation

13468912

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 228
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


    Nothing personal so far? I'd disagree. To wit:



    Still insist nothing personal has been written here?



    No one here knows exactly what happened. It's all hearsay. We do know, however, that Schmidt left the Apple board meetings on specific occasions to avoid conflict of interest. We also know that Schmidt only left the Apple board (either voluntarily or not) in 2009 and not earlier. Surely, if Apple felt so strongly about Schmidt acting unethically, they would have been rather dumb to keep him as a director for two years after the launch of the iPhone, particularly since Google acquired Android a few years earlier. In fact, the evidence suggests that Apple was not particularly smart in keeping Schmidt on. If indeed Google learned a few tricks via this relationship, shouldn't Apple shoulder the blame at least in part for missing the obvious? To repeat, Google bought Android in 2005!!!



    There is always more to a story than meets the eye, even if you're personally engaged in the situation. Since we are all sidelines spectators here, I just don't see justification for the venomous passion. Instead, I worry about some of you. Are you unemployed? Do you have anger management issues? Sadly, there is no app for that.



    Actually only the photo one is a personal attack, must have missed that. The rest are instead commentary on his public behavior which by definition is not a personal attack. You should also keep in mind then many people on this forum have a significant interest in Apple beyond being fans and consumers. These people are rightfully upset when someone like Schmidt "abuses" his position and then comes by a couple years later to try and point the finger the other way.



    Look at your own comments through the prism you define and you will see something both amazing and sad. Suggesting people must be unemployed or havie anger management issue for participating in an Internet forum you participate in is priceless.
  • Reply 102 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post


    You mean this case? How could you possibly confuse this with Apple's case? How dare you accuse samsung of copying anyone!







    http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=3476
  • Reply 103 of 228
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    You honestly believe Steve Jobs wasn't aware of what Google was doing with Android? And there's a claim by Apple that Schmidt violated NDA's? ...



    So, you're saying your boss, Eric, violated Google's NDAs?
  • Reply 104 of 228
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 1,980member
    Google, because it prospers from searching, does not respect intellectual property.
  • Reply 105 of 228
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    We will openly share your innovations.



    All your innovation are belong to us.







    - someone had to say it
  • Reply 106 of 228
    Being an apple fanboy, I am laughing at you guys for defending them trying to coup up a monopoly. If you cant beat em, sue em.



    Android has far more activations than iOS will have, but there are SO many more devices. I'll always choose an iPhone over android but lets be real here. These suits are bullshit. We need to fix the patent and trademarking system in the USA..
  • Reply 107 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    Makes a better story to claim theft tho. . .



    And yet, per Erics own mouth, Jobs gave him the mother of all tongue lashings for copying the Iphone, once Android was revealed. Eric was either at Burning Man or on his way at the time ...



    If, as you claim, Apple was well aware of Googles 'borrowing' of the iPhone look and feel for Android before it was released, that wouldn't make much sense. But sure, the story is more nuanced than the simple theft. Making outrageous statements like Eric just did takes that nuance away.



    Look at what Google is facing of late - Nokia going with MS, MS winning their license suit and now making money from every Android sale, Apple getting an initial validation in the HTC suit, tales of developers following the money to OSX users (this one rather anecdotal) ... Eric is out there defending his brand. And he is a poor choice for poster boy.



    If Apple made money from every Android sale also, that would be OK. It's not what Apple wants, but damage has been done, so what other remedy is out there. They aren't going to shut Android down.
  • Reply 108 of 228
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    So, you're saying your boss, Eric, violated Google's NDAs?



    You're such a funny guy Anonymouse. Every time you use that line of reasoning with me or someone else it cracks me up.



    At least you lighten up the mood around here.
  • Reply 109 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickmccally View Post


    Being an apple fanboy, I am laughing at you guys for defending them trying to coup up a monopoly. If you cant beat em, sue em.



    Android has far more activations than iOS will have, but there are SO many more devices. I'll always choose an iPhone over android but lets be real here. These suits are bullshit. We need to fix the patent and trademarking system in the USA..





    fix the patent system so scumbag companies like Google/HTC/Samsung/Motorola can FREELY STEAL Apple's innovation? I Don't THINK SO!





    You don't get to give away something you don't own GOOGLE.
  • Reply 110 of 228
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    From the original article:



    Quote:

    Asked if Google would help foot HTC's legal bills should they lose, he said: "We will make sure they don't lose, then."



    This seems like a pretty reckless thing to say, although not atypical for Schmidt. Google can throw money at litigation but they can't guarantee victory. If HTC loses I predict this statement will be used to paint Google as feckless and cavalier, and Google's partners will have to take any further assurances of support from the mothership with a grain of salt.



    More generally it fits into a pattern of oddly unprofessional behavior on Google's part, most recently typified by their eccentric bidding for the Nortel patents. That slightly devil may care vibe may endear them to geeks, but for the people depending on Google to keep the lights on it must be a tad unnerving. It suggests that they regard success and failure as a kind of game. I'm pretty sure HTC doesn't share that feeling.
  • Reply 111 of 228
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Being inspired by someone else's work is fine. It happens all of the time.



    Having inside knowledge of another company's plans and future products while posing as a "partner and board member" and then using that info to (cough) "compete" with them in the same space (cough) is despicable. The man is morally bankrupt and I hope that Google and their partners are forced to negotiate licensing fees for the IP that they ripped off from others.



    BTW, I expect Apple to follow the same rules. If Apple is proven to have crossed a line where inspiration morphs into stealing another company's IP, they too need to license the tech. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
  • Reply 112 of 228
    giffengiffen Posts: 30member
    Has Google EVER actually been innovative and created something new?



    They copied internet search from other search engines...



    They copied maps from other map sites....



    Gmail? copied...



    Android? copied...



    How do they think they have the virtue to assail Apple as not being innovative. Every computer and every smartphone and every tablet today is a direct result of what Apple created out of thin air.
  • Reply 113 of 228
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Memo to Eric: Grow up.
  • Reply 114 of 228
    This is so sad really. You guys think that these phones are copies? REALLY?



    I've never used on that made me think "man this is as good as my iphone"



    Lets all pay one company a licensing fee to make tee shirts, because one company should own the right. Lets me one company own licensing for laptops so NO ONE but one company can making portable computers. If anything, Apples inspiration came from PALM years ago. This is ridiculous you guys are agreeing with having another monopoly in the USA. I guarantee that HTC wins this time round.
  • Reply 115 of 228
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post


    Let me do it.



    Remember Fandroids. Android used to look like this BEFORE Google COPIED the iPhone.





    Besides, many speculated that iPhone would not sell, because it doesn't have physical keyboard ...
  • Reply 116 of 228
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Some of us still remember the pictures of what Android looked like before iPhone. Back then, Android was ripping off Blackberry. Then iPhone came along, and Android switched gears and decided to rip off iPhone OS instead. Where exactly were (are) Android's innovations?
  • Reply 117 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post


    http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=3476



    Thanks for the link. Samsung must have choked on their morning coffee when they saw this. They know they have to prevent it from reaching the market lest products like this become part of another suit. Still... have you seen Samsungs dock connector? Funny how things like that get overlooked when we discuss the lawsuits. it's not just about the OS or the tablet itself.
  • Reply 118 of 228
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,720member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


    No one here knows exactly what happened. It's all hearsay. We do know, however, that Schmidt left the Apple board meetings on specific occasions to avoid conflict of interest. We also know that Schmidt only left the Apple board (either voluntarily or not) in 2009 and not earlier. Surely, if Apple felt so strongly about Schmidt acting unethically, they would have been rather dumb to keep him as a director for two years after the launch of the iPhone, particularly since Google acquired Android a few years earlier. In fact, the evidence suggests that Apple was not particularly smart in keeping Schmidt on. If indeed Google learned a few tricks via this relationship, shouldn't Apple shoulder the blame at least in part for missing the obvious? To repeat, Google bought Android in 2005!!!



    Well, at least we've identified the Eric Schmidt apologist on the thread.
  • Reply 119 of 228
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickmccally View Post


    This is so sad really. You guys think that these phones are copies? REALLY?



    I've never used on that made me think "man this is as good as my iphone"



    Lets all pay one company a licensing fee to make tee shirts, because one company should own the right. Lets me one company own licensing for laptops so NO ONE but one company can making portable computers. If anything, Apples inspiration came from PALM years ago. This is ridiculous you guys are agreeing with having another monopoly in the USA. I guarantee that HTC wins this time round.



    Yeah. The design and technological particulars of the iPhone are much like a t-shirt. Thanks for sharing.
  • Reply 120 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickmccally View Post


    This is so sad really. You guys think that these phones are copies? REALLY?



    I've never used on that made me think "man this is as good as my iphone"



    Lets all pay one company a licensing fee to make tee shirts, because one company should own the right. Lets me one company own licensing for laptops so NO ONE but one company can making portable computers. If anything, Apples inspiration came from PALM years ago. This is ridiculous you guys are agreeing with having another monopoly in the USA. I guarantee that HTC wins this time round.



    It's not about "copying" every detail. It's about copying specific implementations. See my post above and check out Samsungs doc connector.



    It could be said that Palm inspiration came from the newton. I don't think Palm or Visor's (which used palm OS) were much akin to the iPhone except in form factor. The visor actually had a phone adapter and mobile internet in one device before either.



    I just remember the palm OS was very very different VS Android which other than being a terrible copy is still a copy of iOS in specific ways.



    I said it earlier. We'll see how this turns out, but we already have clues that it's not going to be a case of at least some of Apple's claims not to be supported.
Sign In or Register to comment.