questions on Lion

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,



Just installed Lion. Seems nice but step back on some fronts...

I have a few questions, hope you can help



1)\tHow can I reduce the font size of the left panes in Finder and Mail? Seems to be too big.

2)\tHow can I get rid of the hideous monotome colors in these left panes? Color was very useful here, I could find icons in half a second, now I need to browse.

3)\tHow can I get my regular scroll bars back? The grey ones don't make sense for mouse control. They belong to touch devices.

\t(I found a way to reverse scrolling though, strange it was reversed by default.)

4)\tMy iCal has a hideous brown top bar. Looks like... leather? Old design looked much more professional and easy on the eyes.



Cheers!

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    1. Can't. Big is the idea. iOS-like.

    2. Can't. You can find it in the exact same amount of time.

    3. Can't. They don't belong to touch devices.

    4. Yep. Get used to it.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Thank you Tallest Skil for being an ass.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    damn that sucks, i don't want iOS features on my COMPUTER!



    If i wanted to work on an iPhone or iPad, I would be using an iPhone or iPad!

  • Reply 4 of 8
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post


    Hi,



    Just installed Lion. Seems nice but step back on some fronts...

    I have a few questions, hope you can help



    1)\tHow can I reduce the font size of the left panes in Finder and Mail? Seems to be too big.

    2)\tHow can I get rid of the hideous monotome colors in these left panes? Color was very useful here, I could find icons in half a second, now I need to browse.

    3)\tHow can I get my regular scroll bars back? The grey ones don't make sense for mouse control. They belong to touch devices.

    \t(I found a way to reverse scrolling though, strange it was reversed by default.)

    4)\tMy iCal has a hideous brown top bar. Looks like... leather? Old design looked much more professional and easy on the eyes.



    Cheers!



    For 1, there is a setting in the Appearance prefpane, set it to small.



    I have my questions, how do I change my shortened username? The one that also tags the Home folder of the user? (it's not in the Accounts prepane, and it seems I can't even rename it from the left hand pane in Finder)



    Please help.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post


    Thank you Tallest Skil.



    You're welcome for giving answers and explanations for why Apple did what they did.



  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post


    I have my questions, how do I change my shortened username? The one that also tags the Home folder of the user? (it's not in the Accounts prepane, and it seems I can't even rename it from the left hand pane in Finder)



    Please help.



    You can't.... Short of creating a whole new user account and copying stuff over to it.

    Because that's the name that OSX really uses to isolate/access your "stuff" ... the "Long Name" is merely a pointer to the short name... The pointer can be changed without losing access.



    (well... you CAN, of course... but it ain't easy. It involves working through things in Terminal ... and if done improperly, or even in the wrong order would lock you out of the account permanently ... There used to be a GUI app in the Utilities folder that would also let you do such stuff, but I don't see it there anymore and don't remember what it was called... probably still around somewhere in the System Folder... but again, it has the potential to lock up your account if you do the wrong thing... that kind of a change also would have to be done from a different admin account, while the one you are changing is logged out (or from the root account).)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post


    For 1, there is a setting in the Appearance prefpane, set it to small.Please help.



    Wonderful! Thanks a bunch.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post


    I have my questions, how do I change my shortened username? The one that also tags the Home folder of the user? (it's not in the Accounts prepane, and it seems I can't even rename it from the left hand pane in Finder)



    I believe it's not possible to change that directly, but an explanation on how to do so can be found here (applies to Lion as well): http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1428
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post


    Hi,



    4)\tMy iCal has a hideous brown top bar. Looks like... leather? Old design looked much more professional and easy on the eyes.



    Cheers!



    Well try this thing http://macnix.blogspot.com/ ... worked well for me and it gives you the old design back
Sign In or Register to comment.