Lion - annoying scrolling + questions on Safari

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Well I've upgraded to Lion and am finding plenty of neat little features I've not read about. I'm also enjoying the redesigned apps. My only complaints so far are relatively minor, for instance the thumbs down icon to mark mail as junk in Mail - this isn't Tivo! However, most irritating is that the scroll gestures have been switched around in this release. Before now I've been used to two finger scroll down to scroll down both on a Magic Mouse and my Magic Trackpad. Now you have to scroll up, like iOS. Now this might be providing coherence across the two systems but its also counterintuitive. On my iPhone i press hold and move the screen up as though physically pushing it, with the Magic Trackpad I'm not actually touching the screen but gesturing to go down. Its doubly annoying when it's the complete opposite gesture to SL.

Also, a feature question - any idea how (if the feature exists) one can add RSS feeds into the Safari menubar so all new stories are shown as though links to pages from the menubar? Firefox has the feature and I find it really neat, but prefer to use Safari.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    And if you'd look in your scrolling settings, you'd see you can change all this.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Tallest Skill, I'm fed up with your cynicism. You're acting like a big child. If you don't want to help people out, stop replying. If you do, give a straight answer.

@mpw_amherst open "mouse" in preferences, and check the top checkbox. The scrolling will now be reversed. I think it's a mistake from Apple not having this behavior by default (we're using a mouse after all, not touch pads) but it's an easy fix luckely.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Tallest Skill, I'm fed up with your cynicism. You're acting like a big child. If you don't want to help people out, stop replying. If you do, give a straight answer.

There's an ignore feature. I answer questions that shouldn't have been asked like this. It's an effort to stop them from being asked, benefiting both parties. More complex ones I answer directly and to the best of my ability.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's an ignore feature. I answer questions that shouldn't have been asked like this. It's an effort to stop them from being asked, benefiting both parties. More complex ones I answer directly and to the best of my ability.

So who are you? The Oracle?

There is no such thing as dumb questions, only dumb answers.

No one benefits from your replies.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

@mpw_amherst open "mouse" in preferences, and check the top checkbox. The scrolling will now be reversed. I think it's a mistake from Apple not having this behavior by default (we're using a mouse after all, not touch pads) but it's an easy fix luckely.

Thank you for your reply. I did discover the preference pane eventually but agree that it should be as previously by default. Thanks for the help though. Any suggestions regards RSS feeds in the Safari menu bar?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

it should be as previously by default.

It's to accustom switchers from iOS and new users. Anyone can switch it back if they want the other way, but these people wouldn't switch it forward if it were the legacy way.

Quote:

Thanks for the help though. Any suggestions regards RSS feeds in the Safari menu bar?

In Safari's actual Menu Bar? This thing?

Nope. Can't be done there, at least.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's to accustom switchers from iOS and new users. Anyone can switch it back if they want the other way, but these people wouldn't switch it forward if it were the legacy way.

In Safari's actual Menu Bar? This thing?

Nope. Can't be done there, at least.

Sorry, of course you're completely right - I mean the bookmark bar, as in Firefox. Not just a link to the RSS feed but the feed visible within the menu of the bookmark bar.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    For a Bluetooth wireless Apple Mouse, Uncheck > Scrolling direction: natural, in Mouse > Preferences.

There will be a similar option for wired mice.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

Well I've upgraded to Lion and am finding plenty of neat little features I've not read about. I'm also enjoying the redesigned apps. My only complaints so far are relatively minor, for instance the thumbs down icon to mark mail as junk in Mail - this isn't Tivo! However, most irritating is that the scroll gestures have been switched around in this release. Before now I've been used to two finger scroll down to scroll down both on a Magic Mouse and my Magic Trackpad. Now you have to scroll up, like iOS. Now this might be providing coherence across the two systems but its also counterintuitive. On my iPhone i press hold and move the screen up as though physically pushing it, with the Magic Trackpad I'm not actually touching the screen but gesturing to go down. Its doubly annoying when it's the complete opposite gesture to SL.

Also, a feature question - any idea how (if the feature exists) one can add RSS feeds into the Safari menubar so all new stories are shown as though links to pages from the menubar? Firefox has the feature and I find it really neat, but prefer to use Safari.

For a Bluetooth wireless Apple Mouse, Uncheck > Scrolling direction: natural, in Mouse > Preferences.
  • Reply 10 of 10

Just stumbled across the article trying to find a fix for the annoying Mountain Lion scroll in safari.

Tallest Skil...what a wanker