Safari 5.1

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The new Safari is now up on Software Update for Snow Leopard, too. It doesn't state that the new features are for Lion only, so it looks like we're getting reading list, resume, new privacy settings, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomastom682 View Post

Safari 5.1 browser is nice but mostly peoples are used Mozilla Firebox 4.0.

Not my peoples Firebox. Not my are used.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Not my peoples Firebox. Not my are used.

I think he has really been far as decided to go want to do look more like a few too many times in his life.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I don't... I'm not sure... Possibly...

Latin???

Anyway, I'm using Safari on an XP machine (Put that brick down, Elmo! There's a MacBook Pro in my near future!) and when I went to 5.1, life started sucking BIG TIME! I'd like to blame this on my use of Winduhs (as I do most problems and issues in my life), but the only variable which has changed is going to Safari 5.1 from whatever the previous version was. It hangs. It freezes. It's dead dog slow! And Spellcheck is no longer fluid (requires a swipe and too many clicks). It's just flat horrible on this machine. Is this just Apple's way of punishing (as yet) unwashed MicroSux users or is the Mac version pretty much the same?

I have FireFox installed and I can move to that (as I will have to if this can't be corrected). But I'd grown used to the relatively quick and secure Safari experience (I came from IE ). Help!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post

I don't... I'm not sure... Possibly...

Latin???

Anyway, I'm using Safari on an XP machine (Put that brick down, Elmo! There's a MacBook Pro in my near future!) and when I went to 5.1, life started sucking BIG TIME! I'd like to blame this on my use of Winduhs (as I do most problems and issues in my life), but the only variable which has changed is going to Safari 5.1 from whatever the previous version was. It hangs. It freezes. It's dead dog slow! And Spellcheck is no longer fluid (requires a swipe and too many clicks). It's just flat horrible on this machine. Is this just Apple's way of punishing (as yet) unwashed MicroSux users or is the Mac version pretty much the same?

I have FireFox installed and I can move to that (as I will have to if this can't be corrected). But I'd grown used to the relatively quick and secure Safari experience (I came from IE ). Help!

I also run Safari 5.1 on Windows XP, an Acer laptop that I purchased in 2007. Although it is slower than Safari on my Macs, it beats Internet Explorer on the same machine all to heck. Therefore, I cannot but conclude that your problem is lies with Windows, your hardware, or between the keyboard and chair.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I also run Safari 5.1 on Windows XP, an Acer laptop that I purchased in 2007. Although it is slower than Safari on my Macs, it beats Internet Explorer on the same machine all to heck. Therefore, I cannot but conclude that your problem is lies with Windows, your hardware, or between the keyboard and chair.

Well, whatever the case, the space between the keyboard and chair is going to attempt a Safari re-install this weekend. And if it still doesn't work properly after that, FireFox will be up on deck.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post

Well, whatever the case, the space between the keyboard and chair is going to attempt a Safari re-install this weekend. And if it still doesn't work properly after that, FireFox will be up on deck.

Ugh, Firefox is horrible. Even OPERA is better than Firefox.

If you won't use Safari, at least use Chrome. Sure, Google's a bunch of whores, but at least it's a WebKit browser.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ugh, Firefox is horrible. Even OPERA is better than Firefox.

If you won't use Safari, at least use Chrome. Sure, Google's a bunch of whores, but at least it's a WebKit browser.

Firefox' restore tabs feature beats Safari hands down for me. Firefox does have a slight memory leak, but that's no problem with that restore tabs feature: simply restart Firefox once per 24 hours and pick up exactly where you left of.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chuck O. Jones View Post

Firefox' restore tabs feature beats Safari hands down for me. Firefox does have a slight memory leak, but that's no problem with that restore tabs feature: simply restart Firefox once per 24 hours and pick up exactly where you left of.

In Safari, click on History->Reopen all Windows from Last session. That takes care of your requirement.

Firefox is better than Chrome in my opinion as I am don't like feeding my usage habits to Google. I don't know if Apple does something like that with Safari, but I assume it doesn't.