Sis wants Ipad 2 + Iphone 4, help please

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
So my sister wants a Ipad 2 , and her (cell) contract is up and is wanting a iPhone 4 as well. I have some questions about specific things.

-I know there is always a waiting game that can be played, especially with Apple. But is right now a good time to get a iPhone 4 or iPad 2? I don't follow too closely their release cycle so her paying full retail now for both then a few months from now the new ones come out would SUCK.

-Can you buy the 3G iPad 2 and never activate it? She would prefer to try it on Wifi first and see if Wifi is enough , if not then turn on the 3G Data Plan.

-Is there a bundle plan on Verizon/AT&T for if you want to own the iPhone 4 + iPad 2 with data on both? Or its separate like everything else?

-What warranties (if any) are worth getting from Verizon/AT&T? (Or is applecare the only one worth getting?)

-Maybe someone has both so they would know, but is my math right in assuming:

Verizon iPhone: Talk+Text Plan 450 Minutes=$59.99 (Btw how many texts a month? It doesn't say)

2Gb Data+Email bundle=$30

So $90 for the iPhone, and $20 a month for the iPad 2 (Verizon 1Gb a/month Data Plan).

So in total $120 a month?

-When you buy a app on the iPad 2, does it get added to your itunes account so it can be played/accessed for free on your other i-products? (like the iphone 4?) I assume so but i want to make sure. For example she buys a notepad app on her iPhone 4, when you look up that app on the iPad 2 does it show its been purchased and can be downloaded (for free) onto the iPad 2?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post

I know there is always a waiting game that can be played, especially with Apple. But is right now a good time to get a iPhone 4 or iPad 2? I don't follow too closely their release cycle so her paying full retail now for both then a few months from now the new ones come out would SUCK.

I would wait 3 months to get the next version of the iPhone. We'll know in September.

There may be an iPad Pro/HD or something like that this Fall, but it is going to be expensive. So, the purchase of an iPad 2 today should be fine.

Apple products typically have very good resale value. If you buy today, odds are good you could sell it and buy a new one and only loose $100 to $200.

Quote:

Can you buy the 3G iPad 2 and never activate it? She would prefer to try it on Wifi first and see if Wifi is enough , if not then turn on the 3G Data Plan.

I believe so.

Quote:

Is there a bundle plan on Verizon/AT&T for if you want to own the iPhone 4 + iPad 2 with data on both? Or its separate like everything else?

No bundle plan as far as I'm aware.

Quote:

What warranties (if any) are worth getting from Verizon/AT&T? (Or is applecare the only one worth getting?

If you are worried about it that much, buy 3rd party insurance.

Quote:

When you buy a app on the iPad 2, does it get added to your itunes account so it can be played/accessed for free on your other i-products? (like the iphone 4?) I assume so but i want to make sure. For example she buys a notepad app on her iPhone 4, when you look up that app on the iPad 2 does it show its been purchased and can be downloaded (for free) onto the iPad 2?

Generally, yes. You buy one universal app, you can use it on up to 5 devices per iTunes account ID. However, some developers don't sell universal apps, and will force you to buy separate apps. So, you'll have to check on that on a per app basis. You can always run 99% of the iPhone apps on iPads with 1x/2x emulation mode.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Generally, yes. You buy one universal app, you can use it on up to 5 devices per iTunes account ID.

Pretty sure it's infinity devices.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    So far some good info. What do you mean third party warranty? Im not WORRIED, but i know Apple's lineup of tech is made out of essentially glass and that the phones had a tendency to drop and get destroyed. Just seems smart to see if any warranties out there (for iPhone & iPad) are worth the money if something goes wrong/breaks.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:

So far some good info. What do you mean third party warranty? Im not WORRIED, but i know Apple's lineup of tech is made out of essentially glass and that the phones had a tendency to drop and get destroyed. Just seems smart to see if any warranties out there (for iPhone & iPad) are worth the money if something goes wrong/breaks.

Typically, you can buy insurance for your electronic device, from a place such as squaretrade.com, for a period of 1, 2, maybe 3 years for $50 to $150. If you drop your phone in the water, they'll replace it.

The warranty that comes from the manufacturer does not include coverage for user causes damage, only defects of the product. Apple is sometimes very generous with a device and completely replaces a device for some type of damage, but if it is very obvious that it is accident damage, they may not help you.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Typically, you can buy insurance for your electronic device, from a place such as squaretrade.com, for a period of 1, 2, maybe 3 years for $50 to $150. If you drop your phone in the water, they'll replace it.

The warranty that comes from the manufacturer does not include coverage for user causes damage, only defects of the product. Apple is sometimes very generous with a device and completely replaces a device for some type of damage, but if it is very obvious that it is accident damage, they may not help you.

VERY good info, thank you! I'll have to look into Squaretrade.com.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

So my sister wants a Ipad 2 , and her (cell) contract is up and is wanting a iPhone 4 as well. I have some questions about specific things.

For the iPhone she night want to wait a couple of months.

Quote:

-I know there is always a waiting game that can be played, especially with Apple. But is right now a good time to get a iPhone 4 or iPad 2? I don't follow too closely their release cycle so her paying full retail now for both then a few months from now the new ones come out would SUCK.

It is pretty simple buy when you really need it or wait for new models to come out. I have more confidence in a new iPhone coming than I do an iPad so see waiting for an iPhone to be sensible. However either device is very handy and can be put to good use right away.

The other thing to consider is that iPhone 4 becomes very cheap once a new model is released.

Quote:

-Can you buy the 3G iPad 2 and never activate it? She would prefer to try it on Wifi first and see if Wifi is enough , if not then turn on the 3G Data Plan.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. You need to "activate" all iOS devices right now by hooking up to a computer. That is not the same as getting a 3G account up and running.

You don't need a 3G account to put an iPad to use. However the devices ends becoming extremely handy if you do. I underestimated how much I would use 3G on my iPad.

Quote:

-Is there a bundle plan on Verizon/AT&T for if you want to own the iPhone 4 + iPad 2 with data on both? Or its separate like everything else?

-What warranties (if any) are worth getting from Verizon/AT&T? (Or is applecare the only one worth getting?)

Unless a computer is crucial to a business or educational pursuit I do not recommend extended warranty purchases. A phone is a different story because for many it is their only communications device. I do mean both third party and AppleCare here, even if Applecares reputation is fine.

The problem is once you start talking multiple insurance contracts the expense of the extended warranties starts to add up. In many cases you are better off banking the money.

Quote:

-Maybe someone has both so they would know, but is my math right in assuming:

Verizon iPhone: Talk+Text Plan 450 Minutes=$59.99 (Btw how many texts a month? It doesn't say)

2Gb Data+Email bundle=$30

So $90 for the iPhone, and $20 a month for the iPad 2 (Verizon 1Gb a/month Data Plan).

So in total $120 a month?

Your math doesn't add up and frankly I wouldn't recommend Verizon. Admittedly in some locations you have no choice but I've been very pleased with my AT&T service. Plus every time I've walked in to an AT&T store the staff has been very professional.

Oh 1GB per month is crap.

Quote:

-When you buy a app on the iPad 2, does it get added to your itunes account so it can be played/accessed for free on your other i-products? (like the iphone 4?) I assume so but i want to make sure. For example she buys a notepad app on her iPhone 4, when you look up that app on the iPad 2 does it show its been purchased and can be downloaded (for free) onto the iPad 2?

Thanks guys

If I understand your question the answer is yes.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Yeah i meant do you have to activate the 3G when you get a Wifi+3G model iPad 2. I have since learned that you dont.

As to warranties, it definitely seems SquareTrade.com is the way to go, they have a $99 2 year iPad 2 warranty that covers all accidents (dropping, water etc). Thats perfect.

I don't see how my math doesn't add up. Those are the options you choose on Verizon.com when getting a iPhone 4 and a plan. However something did change.

She rarely texts so the plan she would get is the:

Talk: $39.99 + $4.99 (250 Texts)+$30 (2Gb Data)= $75 before fee's/tax's.

As for Verizon, my brother has had both, and currently has Verizon (first a Android phone, now a iPhone 4) and he says AT&T coverage sucks here in Seattle, that Verizon coverage is great.

I think 1Gb a month on iPad 2 will be fine, like iv mentioned, i personally use on average 200MB's a month (and i have a unlimited data plan), i text, i watch youtube videos, i have apps and update them constantly, i web-surf a lot. Where as my sister will be using Wifi when at home, and 3G at work, and is really only a Facebook/Webkinz app player.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    dawho1dawho1 Posts: 1member
    Depending on data usage, you may be better off with a tethering plan and a wifi-only iPad2.

I rarely "need" the 3G connectivity, but since I have both devices, when I do want/need it, I just tether up to my iPhone and do it that way, though it is pretty rare I can't find wifi; usually travelling or something. I'm on AT&T, so I can't speak to your costs, but my tethering plan doubles my data up to 4GB and costs about $20/month while affording me the ability to tether a few devices (laptop, ipad, co-workers/friends/wife's laptops, etc).
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Very good recommendation. If it was me getting them, i would definitely get the tethering plan. However with it being my sister, and $20 for tethering or $20 for 1Gb 3G data, i bet she will choose the more convenient option. It would make sense if i described her to you but i wont waste your time lol. Good advice though, definitely applicable to 90% of people that would own a smartphone and tablet at the same time. She just happens to be in the other 10%.

Im curious, when tethering, how badly does that suck the iPhone's battery life? I can imagine people that tether, your using both your iPad battery (doing whatever your doing) and your Phones battery cause its doing all the heavy lifting (data), then you run into the issue of your phone dieing or being low, or needing to be by a wall to charge it.