Speeds: Encrypted Disk Images vs Disks

ktzktz
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

As we just had a break in at the office, I have been looking into encrypting my external disks in order to protect the data on them in case they ever fell into the wrong hands. I have seen that some are creating disk images of the data on their drives, then when they plug in the disks, mounting the disk would require a password to access the files.

This seems like a good solution, but also slightly seems like a hack. Does anyone know if this is standard practice? Another question that may seem illogical, but how does reading data from a virtual disk differ from reading data from the actual disk? Specifically in relation to speeds, fragmentation, etc. Is the data structure as safe as it would be storing on a regular journaled disk if being stored on a spared image?

Sorry for all the questions...just a bit of scary step to take when all I want is security.

Thanks in advance for any help.

kitz

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktz View Post

Hi all,

As we just had a break in at the office, I have been looking into encrypting my external disks in order to protect the data on them in case they ever fell into the wrong hands. I have seen that some are creating disk images of the data on their drives, then when they plug in the disks, mounting the disk would require a password to access the files.

This seems like a good solution, but also slightly seems like a hack.

How so?

Quote:

Does anyone know if this is standard practice?

Yes, it is.

Quote:

Another question that may seem illogical, but how does reading data from a virtual disk differ from reading data from the actual disk?

It doesn't, IRL.

Unless that virtual disk is in the 'cloud', because then your max. up- and download speeds come into play, obviously.

Quote:

Specifically in relation to speeds, fragmentation, etc. Is the data structure as safe as it would be storing on a regular journaled disk if being stored on a spared image?

Yes.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    ktzktz Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

How so?

I guess just in comparison to, say, password protecting a directory on the server, making a drive inside a drive seemed strange, but if that is standard practice, i will have to change my way of thinking!

So in regards to doing this, I would effectively just make a sparse disk image, copy all of the data from the drive to it, (test it), then delete the data from the drive apart from the disk image?

Would you suggest I use carboncopy or superduper for this kind of task?

Thanks,

Joel