Apple testing Mac OS X 10.7.2 alongside iCloud for Lion beta 5

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Saturday evening tapped developers to begin testing a fifth pre-release version of its iCloud cloud computing service software for the company's new Mac OS X 10.7 Lion operating system alongside the first external beta of Mac OS X 10.7.2.

The move is somewhat unusual given that Apple is requiring developers to install Mac OS X 10.7.2 build 11C26 in order to use iCloud beta 5 but has yet to provide developers with any information of test builds of Mac OS X 10.7.1.

"You must install OS X Lion 10.7.2 in order to use iCloud for OS X Lion beta 5," Apple reportedly told developers. "This pre-release version of OS X Lion is being provided solely for testing iCloud."

As such, people familiar with the release say OS X Lion 10.7.2 does not appear to address any of the outstanding issues or glitches that have surfaced with Wednesday's market release of OS X Lion 10.7. Instead, it's believed that Apple will initiate a separate beta test for Mac OS X 10.7.1 in the coming days or weeks.

Developers who've installed Mac OS X 10.7.2 and iCloud beta 5 note that the software updates Lion's "Mail, Contacts & Calendars" control panel with iCloud management interface that lets users choose which forms of data they'd like synced to the cloud.

The new interface also provides tools for managing storage, backups, and purchasing additional storage, though the latter capability is said to be non-functional at this time.

Apple plans to formally roll out iCloud for both OS X Lion and iOS 5.0 sometime this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    angevilangevil Posts: 12member
    It sucks that iTunes Match will not be available in Europe. And what about non Europian Union countries in Europe?! It is driving me mad. Apple better deal with that soon.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by angevil View Post

It sucks that iTunes Match will not be available in Europe. And what about non Europian Union countries in Europe?! It is driving me mad. Apple better deal with that soon.

It's hardly Apple's fault that your labels can't come to an agreement over something so obviously beneficial to them.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's hardly Apple's fault that your labels can't come to an agreement over something so obviously beneficial to them.

Well it's not that simple, they almost cetainly spent more time negotiating with the american labels, for obvious reasons of course - the american labels are where most of the money is.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As such, people familiar with the release say OS X Lion 10.7.2 does not appear to address any of the outstanding issues or glitches that have surfaced with Wednesday's market release of OS X Lion 10.7. Instead, it's believed that Apple will initiate a separate beta test for Mac OS X 10.7.1 in the coming days or weeks.

If iCloud is supposed to launch with iOS 5, which is expected at the usuall media event in early September, that means that 10.7.2 needs to be due in early September too. 10.7.1 presumably needs to come out before 10.7.2 and so should release in August. That means 2 Lion updates in less than a month and a half and a 10.7.1 release in August which hasn't even entered beta test yet. That seems like a really tight schedule.

I'll assume the Lion specific "outstanding issues or glitches" in 10.7.1 will at some point be merged with the iCloud specific changes in 10.7.2 so that 10.7.2 will keep the tradition of cumulative updates. That also means that 10.7.1 needs to be released sufficiently ahead of 10.7.2 so that 10.7.1's final code can be merged and tested with the iCloud changes.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    i'm excited to see that Safari Bookmarks are on the list of syncable data ...
  • Reply 6 of 44
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    wha..? .1 is already tested and out?! How bout fix all those small little bugs from .0, then think to fixing the .1 with that .2
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Well I guess I should have tested on a non essential machine first as 10.7.2 has a security 'bug' that prevents me from connecting to my Windows Media Server where my 280GB iTunes Library is at..
  • Reply 8 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by angevil View Post

I know it is frustrating for you but Apple has had nothing to do with the incredibly complex issues involved with copyrighted works in Europe. If you want change go after your governments to stand up to the Unions, Associations and big corporations that gave created the copyright mess in Europe.

Mind you it was Europe that gave the world the stupid concept of extending a copyright 75 years beyond a persons death.

You are right to be upset but until you demand a clear up of this mess by the government it will only get worst. There is little Apple can do about it.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gordon Werner View Post

This isn't really new.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    So no syncing anytime soon in Europe then?
  • Reply 11 of 44
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I know it is frustrating for you but Apple has had nothing to do with the incredibly complex issues involved with copyrighted works in Europe. If you want change go after your governments to stand up to the Unions, Associations and big corporations that gave created the copyright mess in Europe.

Mind you it was Europe that gave the world the stupid concept of extending a copyright 75 years beyond a persons death.

You are right to be upset but until you demand a clear up of this mess by the government it will only get worst. There is little Apple can do about it.

Link?

Music Copyright law in Europe is actually considerably less content-owner friendly than in the US, but while Apple may play hard-ball on patents it treats content owners with kid-gloves. For example you can look for the 1950s Maria Callas recordings on iTunes UK, but they are mostly not there - in spite of the fact that they're out of copyright (at least they are right now, the recording industry is fighting to change that).

Presumably this is out of deference to EMI.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Probably 10.7.2 is only enabling iCloud. So, in principle could come out very soon after 10.7.1, which will be about fixing issues.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Fingers crossed for wake on trackpad motion. Clicking or striking a key is Pre post pc era craziness.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    10.7.2 indeed sounds like it will be there to just "enable" iCloud, much like 10.6.6 enabled access to the Mac App Store.

My guess is Lion shipped in "July" because it was promised in past announcements and any delay would have looked bad. Any known bugs unfixed since the Gold Master have probably had their bugfixes already been rolled into a "10.7.1" update once the "public beta test" (i.e. first adopters who blindly upgrade without researching) is complete.

Look for 10.7.2 to not only enable iCloud but to also address any UI-related complaints (not bugs) about default behaviors.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Fingers crossed for wake on trackpad motion. Clicking or striking a key is Pre post pc era craziness.

LOL, now you're speaking Steve Jobs' vocabulary.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

So no syncing anytime soon in Europe then?

Syncing is a completely different side issue from the whining going on on this thread about "iTunes match." As soon as iOS 5 is live, all iOS users will get syncing for free. Those in Europe will not get iTunes match, which is a different thing altogether.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Probably 10.7.2 is only enabling iCloud. So, in principle could come out very soon after 10.7.1, which will be about fixing issues.

Yes. 10.7.1 will be for fixing the video glitches and the wi-fi and the other few bugs or glitches that have turned up since Lion went live.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gordon Werner View Post

Not new. A carryover from MobileMe.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    In case it hadn't been mentioned, Lion Previews were showing up as 10.7.1.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Well it's not that simple, they almost cetainly spent more time negotiating with the american labels, for obvious reasons of course - the american labels are where most of the money is.

Even if your blanket assumption that they spend more time negotiating with American labels is true, why would you be surprised if it were?

Apple, as a US based company, has always started in the US first then moved into other markets over time. It should hardly be surprising at this point!