Help on new Macbook pro Purchase

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey everyone I am noob at this whole mac thing but have been looking to purchase one for a really long time. Over the past two years to be exact, have always been scared to switch form PC to mac but I think it’s about that time.

I decided to take the plunge this weekend and went to the apple store and purchased a Macbook Pro 15" with 2.3Ghz i7 750Gb HDD and 4GB of ram. They included the new OS for free from the app store. I went and installed it right away when I got home figuring I might as well get used to the new OS.

...Well this thing locked me out spent about 7 hours on the phone with these guys trying to figure out how to access the computer and nobody really knew, as it prompted for an old and new password and I never had a password on it. So all said and done I google it and find the solution myself.

The next day being the noob that I am, I call them back to make sure that I did it correctly, and out of nowhere they transfer me over to a nice lady named Sarah, she takes me through the exact steps and in 5 minutes I am up and runing and at the same point where I was when I did it myself.

Being a little annoyed with Apple at this point, I install the Incase shell case that the apple store sold me, well it makes a snapping sound every time I open it. So go to another local non apple store and buy a Speck case and it works fine.

Starting to get annoyed again, and then last night found a program that tells you when your macbook was built, in the info section in "About this apple" or something along these lines stated that the mac was built in "Early 2011" SO I check out this program and this mac was built in January of 2011. WTF?

My question to you is what would you do? Take it back and order online? I live in Canada but am going to California in a few days, should I buy it down there?

Or should I wait till the new one gets released? How long would that wait time be do you think?

Thanks for your time and sorry about the rant, I am very disappointed and frustrated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1move View Post

Starting to get annoyed again, and than last night found a program that tells you when your macbook was built, in the info section in "About this apple" or something allong these lines stated that the mac was built in "Early 2011" SO I check out this program and this mac was built in January of 2011. WTF?

Okay, and you said:

Quote:

Macbook Pro 15" with 2.3Ghz i7 750Gb HDD and 4GB of ram.

Which is an Early 2011, pre-Thunderbolt model. So what's the problem? You bought this; you knew you bought this. Did you notice it didn't have the Thunderbolt logo next to the Mini DisplayPort port or Thunderbolt branding on the box?

Quote:

My question to you is what would you do?

Well, you bought something that you knew you bought, so I'd would just be happy with it.

Quote:

Or should I wait till the new one gets released?

The new one IS released. They came out in February or something like that. the next one won't be released until Februray 2012.

Okay, now for the other questions.

Were you in an Apple Store, pointed to a display model, said, "I want this one," and they brought out the one you have?

Then that guy needs fired.

Other than that, you got what you paid for, which, by those specs, is the last-gen model.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    1move1move Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which is an Early 2011, pre-Thunderbolt model.

It has the Thunderbolt on it. it is not the previous version I made sure of that. But it was built in January of 2011
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

It has the Thunderbolt on it. it is not the previous version I made sure of that. But it was built in January of 2011

After seeing that you can indeed spend (waste) money on a 100MHz bump to the current 15", your specs and build date make sense.

Yes, it was built in January. That's when they would have been built. If it has Thunderbolt, it's not an "Early 2011" model, however.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    1move1move Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

After seeing that you can indeed spend (waste) money on a 100MHz bump to the current 15", your specs and build date make sense.

Yes, it was built in January. That's when they would have been built. If it has Thunderbolt, it's not an "Early 2011" model, however.

I might be new to this but I am not dumb...

FYI... 2.3GHz CPU has a larger L3 cache (8MB vs 6MB) I use larger files and yes that makes a differance. So for me it is not a waste of money.

When I click on the About this MAc or whatever the option is, it states "Early 2011" Checking the build date states January 10-16 of 2011 I bough this 4 days ago, it is Almost August! Should I not be getting one built in say May? June?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Should I not be getting one built in say May? June?

No, you shouldn't. There is only one Thunderbolt model, so they're all identical whenever they were made.

On second thought, I suppose it makes sense to call that the Early 2011 model, since it was the only model released in 2011. I'm a moron.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    g-noteg-note Posts: 39member
    I also bought the same Macbook Pro last week and it has a newer build date then yours but I don't understand what the big deal is with how old it is. You get the same computer with the same features so why worry about when it was built?

If you bought a 2011 car it was built in late 2009 or 2010 but it is still the newest model. Just enjoy your new computer!