Lion lock ups

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Since installing Lion on my new Mac, I have had numerous system lock ups noted mostly when viewing video (as with Youtube) after the computer was brought back from sleeping. I have seen this complaint numerous times on other forums but no suggestions on how to remedy the problem. Anyone here having this problem? Any suggestions about how to handle it?

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by otofreq View Post

lock ups noted mostly when viewing video (as with Youtube)

Flash's fault, not Lion's.

Get the Flash 11 beta, Click2Flash to never ever play Flash content again, and join the YouTube and Vimeo HTML5 betas (even though Click2Flash renders them moot).
  • Reply 2 of 17
    otofreqotofreq Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Flash's fault, not Lion's.

Get the Flash 11 beta, Click2Flash to never ever play Flash content again, and join the YouTube and Vimeo HTML5 betas (even though Click2Flash renders them moot).

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have seen elsewhere that Click2Flash is not working well with Lion as of yet. Apparently it interferes with Safari and then is difficult to uninstall if you choose to do so. So, I guess I will be watching for updates to this program.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by otofreq View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have seen elsewhere that Click2Flash is not working well with Lion as of yet. Apparently it interferes with Safari and then is difficult to uninstall if you choose to do so. So, I guess I will be watching for updates to this program.

It's... a Safari Extension. It works perfectly fine, worked perfectly fine during all the Developer Previews, and is a one-click uninstall.

Well, that's one shining recommendation, at least.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    There's a huge problem with Lion locking - black screen, hard restart needed - seems very very common on 2010 MacBooks (see numerous threads elsewhere) No response from apple
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skeoghman View Post

There's a huge problem with Lion locking - black screen, hard restart needed - seems very very common on 2010 MacBooks (see numerous threads elsewhere) No response from apple

Am also having the same problem only with a brand new iMac here. Hard restarts needed.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    What happens if you right-click on a Flash object, choose settings and disable hardware acceleration?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

What happens if you right-click on a Flash object, choose settings and disable hardware acceleration?

It won't allow you to do that. The settings for Flash don't work. Adobe recognise this on their comments page.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I've had some hangs in Safari and a few other non-Apple apps.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Just experienced a major lockup. Was downloading something in Firefox in VMWare Fusion. Then everything got majorly laggy. Like a minute for any Mac window to respond. Force-quit VMWare Fusion, problem persisted.

Just pressed and held down the power button. Started up again.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Just experienced a major lockup. Was downloading something in Firefox in VMWare Fusion. Then everything got majorly laggy. Like a minute for any Mac window to respond. Force-quit VMWare Fusion, problem persisted.

Just pressed and held down the power button. Started up again.

Oddly have discovered that the Lion lock-up with videos in Safari is a constant with my new iMac yet never happens with my end of 2010 Macbook Air. A graphics card software issue?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

Oddly have discovered that the Lion lock-up with videos in Safari is a constant with my new iMac yet never happens with my end of 2010 Macbook Air. A graphics card software issue?

Since the lockup I posted about above happened, I haven't experienced any crashes.

I think what you are referring to could be a dedicated GPU issue. I'm really not sure.

Just try updating to the latest Adobe Flash and if you have it, Adobe Air.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

Do you have Flash on that MacBook Air?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you have Flash on that MacBook Air?

Yes I do and it plays fine, no lock ups even after sleep. Unlike the iMac. And I am running the latest version too.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    In response to suggestions on this forum I updated Flash, and it has reduced the number of crashes but not eliminated them. One a day vs 2 or 3 a day.

Looks to me that there is something else at work. The crashes always seem to happen after the machine has been in sleep mode. There is no way out of them other than a complete restart although you can use the mouse to move the cursor around.

Why with a multi user, multi application operating system can one application stop the whole system. Can there not be some way to kill a misbehaving application. Force Quit just does not seem to matter anymore.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

In response to suggestions on this forum I updated Flash, and it has reduced the number of crashes but not eliminated them. One a day vs 2 or 3 a day.

Looks to me that there is something else at work. The crashes always seem to happen after the machine has been in sleep mode. There is no way out of them other than a complete restart although you can use the mouse to move the cursor around.

Why with a multi user, multi application operating system can one application stop the whole system. Can there not be some way to kill a misbehaving application. Force Quit just does not seem to matter anymore.

Have you tried updating to 10.7.1?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Yes I updated to 10.7.1 the day it came out. Not a crash since.

Shame Apple could not have tested this before the 10.7 release as it was so obvious and affected many people, particularly with new IMacs. Still onward and upward.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I've seen two KPs on a late 2007 MacBook. The panic report seems to reference the video hardware. The only other clue I have is that this happened after I had walked away from the machine and it went to sleep.