removing beer from a keyboard?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I made a boner move a few weeks back. Damn beer can was perspirating and it slipped from my hand and yes, spilled on the keyboard. Option and control keys now tweaked

Any recommendations on how to clean the keyboard? I'm hoping there is a cheap solution at RadioShack...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    What kind of keyboard is it?

I have had mixed success with this sort of thing.

Better to get it clean when it is still wet. Couple of weeks is not good. Depending on the keyboard you may be able to pry up the individual keys & clean with rubbing alcohol and a swab or something.

I have also tried to flush the spills away (running under the tap) but this never has worked for me (tho I have heard of success from others).

Hope this helps.

PS be sure to unplug the keyboard before attempting any of this!

[quote]Originally posted by zonetuke:

<strong>I made a boner move a few weeks back. Damn beer can was perspirating and it slipped from my hand and yes, spilled on the keyboard. Option and control keys now tweaked

Any recommendations on how to clean the keyboard? I'm hoping there is a cheap solution at RadioShack...</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Have washed three week old orange juice away from mine. Just ran it under the tap. Worked sweet.

It's the old G4 keyboard. Same as in all post imac G3s
  • Reply 3 of 10
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    I've had some luck with the dishwasher routine. Just put it in top rack with no detergent. Don't let it go through heated dry cycle. Let it air dry for at least 3 good days before trying to use it again. If it's cordless I remove the batteries of course.

As always YMMV.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Unplug it, run it under the tap, and DRY IT!!!!!! Don't forget to unplug it, or dry it. Water and electircity and your fragile little bag of protoplasm do not mix.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    [quote]<strong>Any recommendations on how to clean the keyboard? I'm hoping there is a cheap solution at RadioShack...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Macworld or somebody published a tip on how to do this a few years back. It went something like this:

Shut down and unplug your keyboard. If you feel brave, take the keyboard apart to the point where just the circuit board is left. Make note of where all the parts go.

Take the circuit board into the shower and rinse it thoroughly with warm water, about at the temp that you would stand if you were taking the shower yourself.

Pat the circuit board dry, taking care not to break any of the little bits off.

Park the circuit board over a warm air source for 3 or 4 days. Shake it periodically to help disturb the surface tension of any leftover water droplets. Make sure it is *thoroughly* dry!

Reassemble the keyboard and try it out. It shouldn't have the stickiness anymore.

Note: YMMV! :eek:
  • Reply 6 of 10
    When the first few of you suggested I run water over it I truly thought you all were making a big joke out of this. I was absolutely shocked when I realized everyone was serious. I figured exposing the keyboard to MORE liquid would surely hose it. I'll have to cross my fingers and give it a try I suppose. Thanks your suggestions.

It's an AppleDesign keyboard that came with my Beige G3 266 (which is now an XLR8 466). Fortunately I had an Apple Extended Keyboard II laying around, which is what I'm using now. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know which board I prefer?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jtjt Posts: 2member
    Yea, basically what all these guys have said is about right. Just a few obvious precautions i wanna point out, maybe go over again.

Unplug the keyboard. If you use alcahol to clean it, dont use just anything off the shelf. It has a special name which i forget. Anything else will ruin the plastics and corrode the circuit tracings. Thats another thing, dont scratch any circuit tracings. Dont use anything with the word salt in it. What else. Heat is probably a bad idea, although im just assuming that. To be safe, you should go for a soft towel insted to dry it. Yea, just make sure its completely dry.

Be gentile with it. And if that dont work. As they say in the PC world, its a FRU. Go buy another one.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Spilt beer..any paticular brand. It was a nice frothy guiness for me. It took out the apple and alt keys despite stripping and cleaning it twice. Good excuse to buy a Pro k/brd though.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Meths
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eskimo:

<strong>I've had some luck with the dishwasher routine. Just put it in top rack with no detergent. Don't let it go through heated dry cycle. Let it air dry for at least 3 good days before trying to use it again. If it's cordless I remove the batteries of course.

As always YMMV.</strong><hr></blockquote>

:eek: keys up or keys down?