Lookout, Retrevo warn of growing Android malware epidemic, note Apple's iOS is far safer

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    How does one repackage a legitimate app? The executable binary is recompiled with the malware? I'm sure anything is possible but that seems rather difficult to do.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

While it's possible his meaning would have been clearer if he had used the proper punctuation for sarcasm, I seriously doubt it⸮​

Heh - that should so be included in all modern grammars, right up there with correct use of semi-colon - appropriate selection of smiley!

}:-0
  • Reply 43 of 52
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How does one repackage a legitimate app? The executable binary is recompiled with the malware? I'm sure anything is possible but that seems rather difficult to do.

Decompile App, Add bit at the start that calls a subroutine that does all your dodgy stuff. Recompile App.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    FWIW. . .

The latest Apple security news at the Blackhat conference is that "Apple's OS X Server platform is unfit for secure business use".

"...while individual Mac systems could be secured, underlying vulnerabilities in the platform’s networking protocol make OS X Server networks easy to compromise.

. . . Once you turn on the administrator stuff, once you install OS X Server, you are toast," attendees were told.

"The problem lies in the way OS X networks handle authentication protocols. Researchers explained that the protocols could be harvested and cracked offline with 'brute force' methods. ISec presented the results of a test in which an Apple network could be breached through a targeted attack on an end-user system. From there, researchers were able to run a local DNS attack to harvest credentials and obtain administrator access to a network and compromise all devices. "It is just two notches above trivial to escalate your privileges to become an administrator on most Mac networks. . ."

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/20992...twork-security

In the same report iSec also had praise for Apple's latest OS Lion, saying "when stacked up with Windows 7 systems, OS Lion matches Microsoft in areas such as local privilege escalation and anti-exploit protection.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    sbuksbuk Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JVP View Post

Sarcasm - maybe you've heard of it?

You may want to get yourself a new dictionary, or change the site that you learn words from, because that isn't sarcasm. It's poor attempt a wit. Sarcasm rarely works in print/online.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sbuk View Post

You may want to get yourself a new dictionary, or change the site that you learn words from, because that isn't sarcasm. It's poor attempt a wit. Sarcasm rarely works in print/online.

He wrote a statement that says the opposite of what he thinks. He mockingly used irony. That's sarcasm!
    sarcasm |ˈsɑrˌkæzəm|

noun

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt
    If he was merely mocking and not clearly expressing the exact opposite of what he felt that would be sardonicism.. ut you said that it can't be sarcasm, but instead wit.

Maybe it would be easier if you just look at the word wit…
    wit 1 |wɪt|

noun

1 mental sharpness and inventiveness; keen intelligence:

• (wits) the intelligence required for normal activity; basic human intelligence: he needed all his wits to figure out the way back.

2 a natural aptitude for using words and ideas in a quick and inventive way to create humor:

• a person who has such an aptitude:
  • Reply 47 of 52
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twistedarts View Post

idiot...

lolz
  • Reply 48 of 52
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    *creates virus, uploads to cell tower networks across America, automatically downloads ot all iOS devices*

Profit?
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

*creates virus, uploads to cell tower networks across America, automatically downloads ot all iOS devices*

Profit?

That's basically impossible.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Quote:

That's basically impossible.

*hacks Tallest Skill's mind, incepts the notion it IS possible, checks totem, all set*
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

*hacks Tallest Skill's mind, incepts the notion it IS possible, checks totem, all set*

Do you have a way to hack into cell towers of one company (much less all of them)?

Is it possible to create a piece of software that disguises itself as a carrier update to iOS devices but when is installed actually functions as you want it to, given that you can't just magically install software anywhere you want if you're disguising something as a carrier update?

Is it THEN even possible to get cell towers to transmit whatever data you're stealing from 100 million users to your computer/iDevice?

I'm ignoring the fact that such a massive stream of data (both out from the hacked tower and then back to your device) would immediately be seen by ISPs and telecoms alike, alerting them to what you've done.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    Quote:

Do you have a way to hack into cell towers of one company (much less all of them)?

Is it possible to create a piece of software that disguises itself as a carrier update to iOS devices but when is installed actually functions as you want it to, given that you can't just magically install software anywhere you want if you're disguising something as a carrier update?

Is it THEN even possible to get cell towers to transmit whatever data you're stealing from 100 million users to your computer/iDevice?

I'm ignoring the fact that such a massive stream of data (both out from the hacked tower and then back to your device) would immediately be seen by ISPs and telecoms alike, alerting them to what you've done.

I wonder this mahself. I'll ask Anonymous. Then again, I just got the 4S so that migh not be the best idea.

But I seriously wonder if it can be done....

But I seriously wonder, especially considering the blackberry outage.