Microsoft says Google refused to join the Novell patent consortium

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In response to a public complaint by Google accusing Apple and Microsoft of a patent-wielding conspiracy to hold back its Android platform, Microsoft's general counsel has pointed out that Google rebuffed an invitation to join the consortium, apparently with the hope of obtaining all of the Novell patents for itself.



Google's attempt to publicly shame Apple, Microsoft, Oracle and other companies who either collect royalties from its Android licensees or have ongoing legal cases involving intellectual property disputes associated with Android made headlines Wednesday.



However, the CPTN consortium of companies (including Apple and Microsoft) that bid for the Novell patents are themselves competitors in the mobile space, but have stated that they jointly bid on the patents to prevent the portfolio of intellectual property from falling into the hands of a patent troll that could work to derail the entire industry with years of lawsuits.



Additionally, according to Brad Smith, the general counsel of Microsoft, Google refused to join the group bidding on the Novell patents, instead bidding separately for the collection of patents in hopes that it could win them all for itself, just as had earlier done on a portfolio of around 1,000 patents from IBM.



In a tweet, Smith stated, "Google says we bought Novell patents to keep them from Google. Really? We asked them to bid jointly with us. They said no."



Google's chief legal officer David Drummond took the similar Rockstar consortium to task for "escalating the cost of patents way beyond what they?re really worth," complaining that "Microsoft and Apple?s winning $4.5 billion for Nortel?s patent portfolio was nearly five times larger than the pre-auction estimate of $1 billion," without also noting that Google itself had been involved in raising the ultimate price of the patents far higher than any patent troll could ever pay, after refusing to join the consortium in the first place.



In describing Google's public denigration of the consortiums led by Apple and Microsoft and the company's depiction of the winning bids as being a concerted effort to attack Android, blogger John Gruber wrote "Google?s hypocrisy here is absurd," and added, "Google supporters claim that Google only wants to use patents defensively. But what exactly does Google need to defend against, if not actual patents Android actually violates?"
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 86
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Oh Google.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post


    Oh Google.



    Google is a disreputable company, run by slime-balls. This truth is plain for all to see, that is for anybody paying attention and who isn't sucking at their teet.



    I doubt their plea for public opinion favor pans out, and I cherish the day when the courts decide against them.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    Google is a THIEF and a LIAR.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post


    Oh Google.



    Oh DED.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post


    Google is a disreputable company, run by slime-balls. This truth is plain for all to see, that is for anybody paying attention and who isn't sucking at their teet.



    I doubt their plea for public opinion favor pans out, and I cherish the day when the courts decide against them.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post


    Google is a THIEF and a LIAR.



    Sad to see an admired company slowly devolve ethically. Although, it wasn't that slow, many years ago they already were planning infringement when developing Android, as court documents/ leaks are starting to show.



    Now this Google lawyer blog post. Something is definitely fishy when a lawyer writes trying to sound like a hippie.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    The worst part is that the public is too stupid to realize Google is playing the victim, while it's very existence is due to it's software patents.



    Google's karma is about gone, who suspects while they're screaming about this, they're figuring out how to buy software patents on the sly?
  • Reply 7 of 86
    Daniel, don't you mean Nortel? Novell's patents were sold quite a while ago, to a consortium that included Apple, Microsoft and EMC, if I recall..
  • Reply 8 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Sad to see an admired company slowly devolve ethically. Although, it wasn't that slow, many years ago they already were planning infringement when developing Android, as court documents/ leaks are starting to show.



    Now this Google lawyer blog post. Something is definitely fishy when a lawyer writes trying to sound like a hippie.



    They have the ear of the White House. They are ramping up their demagoguery on the issue to try and get a political power play since they are currently losing by proxy with all the court actions against their licensees. We shall see if they retain their favored status in DC. Obama has thrown just about all his patrons under the bus so far, will Google be the next?
  • Reply 9 of 86
    Google employees say this kind of rubbish all the time. The breathtaking hypocrisy will probably go unchallenged in the main stream press because it makes inflammatory copy that garners clicks and energises their fanboy base.



    Of course Google ruthlessly protects its own search IP to protect the advertising cash cow.



    Hey Google don't be evil and open source all your search IP?



    You know to accelerate innovation....
  • Reply 10 of 86
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    They Sssssuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkkkk!!!!!! Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh They Ssssuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkkkaaaaaaaa a aaa aa a!!!!!!!





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    In response to a public complaint by Google accusing Apple and Microsoft of a patent-wielding conspiracy to hold back its Android platform, Microsoft's general counsel has pointed out that Google rebuffed an invitation to join the consortium, apparently with the hope of obtaining all of the Novell patents for itself.



  • Reply 11 of 86
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobwoods View Post


    Daniel, don't you mean Nortel? Novell's patents were sold quite a while ago, to a consortium that included Apple, Microsoft and EMC, if I recall..



    No, the article is right, this is about the Novell patents. The news here is that Google complaining about Microsoft teaming up with Apple and others to screw over Android, is at its best hypocritical. Combined with the fact they are now trying to spin things to make it look like Google is against software patents even though they bid $3.14 billion for the same Nortel patents they are criticizing, makes this a small PR disaster.



    Things can get even worse for Google though. They are slowly starting to realize they simply copied too much and innovated too little, leaving them liable to patent suits with no patents of their own to retaliate. At least companies like Apple and Microsoft innovated themselves in the smartphone race, so they have some pocket change to pay off the patents they infringe on (note that it's virtually impossible to create anything as complex as a smartphone without infringing on anyones patents these days). Google has nothing. Seeing that the whole business model behind Android is that Google can give it away for free, they are in big trouble. Of all the Android manufacturers, only 2 are actually profitable to any degree of significance, the rest is scraping the barrel to even break even. Imagine if they had to pay a $5 to $15 patent licensing fee for every handset sold, it would most likely mean most of them would start looking for alternatives...
  • Reply 12 of 86
    ihxoihxo Posts: 563member
    LOL how 2 tweets killed whatever stunt Google tried to pull



    Today will forever be remembered as the day Google can't play the victim game anymore.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    Pie in Google's FACE. hahahha





    IN THE FACE!!!






  • Reply 14 of 86
    <<But Google's chief legal officer David Drummond subsequently took the consortium to task for "escalating the cost of patents way beyond what they?re really worth," complaining that "Microsoft and Apple?s winning $4.5 billion for Nortel?s patent portfolio was nearly five times larger than the pre-auction estimate of $1 billion," >>



    Google accuses the consortium of driving the price up 4 times than the worth at 1 billion. But Google themselves drove it more than 3 times their claim of 1 billion - all by themselves. Hypocrites.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    norcalnorcal Posts: 1member
    Oh boy!

    One would think that we already have seen it all...and here comes Goooogggooolll

    Granted, evryone is trying to protect its teritory, and the cash. But, to try and decieve the public (with the knowledge that their whining will be sprad across every paper, TV and internet) that IS REALY low.

    They bid $ 4 B to protect the consumers? give me a crow...

    They took others' IP and gave it "free" so they can make money of it...to protect us??? Realy???

    Oh thank you Google for standing in my corner...OOPS with your hand in my private info
  • Reply 16 of 86
    Google is an advertising company. They're in search so they can deliver ads. They're in email so they can deliver ads. They're in online docs so they can deliver ads.



    They knew browsing was moving from computers to mobiles and were afraid they'd lose a way to deliver ads so they bought the company that was developing Android - knowing they'd give it away free just like Microsoft gave away Internet Explorer to get a massive market share and guarantee that they'll be able to deliver ads there too. They HAD to get into mobile.



    They have tricked a lot of people into thinking they are a tech company - they are not - their business model and revenue source is advertising.



    Do you really want a personal computer in your pocket that was created by an advertising company whose sole existence is dependent upon learning about you so they can target you through marketing? That bleeping crazy.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,036member
    Right now it's just a pissing contest between the boys. If there is truth to this, then Google should be publicly humiliated and put over coals. Google exhibited hypocrisy to the greatest extent and now looks like a whining, bratty little kid that thought there was an "i" in "Team".



    They wanted the patents all to themselves. Just out of principle, I want Google sued to oblivion now!



    Bring in the executioner!!
  • Reply 18 of 86
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post


    Google is an advertising company. They're in search so they can deliver ads. They're in email so they can deliver ads. They're in online docs so they can deliver ads.



    They knew browsing was moving from computers to mobiles and were afraid they'd lose a way to deliver ads so they bought the company that was developing Android - knowing they'd give it away free just like Microsoft gave away Internet Explorer to get a massive market share and guarantee that they'll be able to deliver ads there too. They HAD to get into mobile.



    They have tricked a lot of people into thinking they are a tech company - they are not - their business model and revenue source is advertising.



    Do you really want a personal computer in your pocket that was created by an advertising company whose sole existence is dependent upon learning about you so they can target you through marketing? That bleeping crazy.



    Ya. But how much interest would a company like Apple have in developing its own platforms had Google not gotten into mobile?



    Google was everywhere on the original iPhone. Then they stabbed Apple in the back and Google is slowly losing its presence on the iPhone.



    Google could of had it all.



    Same with Facebook.



    They could have easily entered into advertising arrangements will Facebook but they instead decided to launch their own services like Wave and G+.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    Well said, MS (for once).

    Instead of making endless comments (to the -already- converted), let's take action by switching our search engine pref. to Yahoo, or Bing, of all things.

    If the public awareness of Google getting more and more evil, would pick up, and many people would avoid searching with Google, it would really hurt.

    Of course, the ultimate weapon would be a Google blocker, because just removing Google from your own search prefs doesn't remove it from all those banners (with related Google search results that are obtained partly by spying on you) embedded in lots of web pages.



    This said, I must admit that Google's web apps are getting nicer and slicker every day. Their GUI even starts approaching that of iWork apps. Just a coincidence, I guess .
  • Reply 20 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post


    Ya. But how much interest would a company like Apple have in developing its own platforms had Google not gotten into mobile?



    Google was everywhere on the original iPhone. Then they stabbed Apple in the back and Google is slowly losing its presence on the iPhone.



    Google could of had it all.



    Same with Facebook.



    They could have easily entered into advertising arrangements will Facebook but they instead decided to launch their own services like Wave and G+.



    The only thing apple would not have done is iAd which would have been a good thing.
Sign In or Register to comment.