Can't Empty Trash

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, have a partitioned drive. The smaller drive originally held OSX and Apps. I discovered that under OSX, that scenario would not be best, so reinstalled all onto larger partition. Left on the smaller drive were all apps and a few odd little files from OSX. I can't seem to trash any of this. I have tried the freeware BatChmod; I have tried logging in as root (in which case the trash is empty?). I think it has to do with the fact that the items in the trash are from the small partition. In any case, I can't empty the trash and am a bit frustrated that it is so difficult?! Any thoughts? R,.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Drag the items out of the trash, log into root, put them back in the trash and empty it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    OK, well, I did the obvious thing, and may have answered my problem (in a heavy handed way). I erased the partition... trash is empty. Hope I don't have to do that again. But it still does answer the real issue: Why couldn't I just empty the trash? Especially when logged on as root. ?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>Drag the items out of the trash, log into root, put them back in the trash and empty it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It wouldn't let me drag them out of trash... I tried that. But, see my next post re: heavy handed solution. R.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    In these situations I boot into 9, find the invisible .Trash folder and delete it. As a Mac person thru-and-thru, I am a bit scared of the terminal, especially for deleting stuff after the whole iTunes 2 debacle.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    There is a cool program called "DropObliter8" that lets you delete most any file.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Generally I just log out, log in and then it'll let me empty it.

Now... I wait until I'm not doing anything else first.

• Reply 7 of 7
    One time nothing would delete some files of mine (about 600megs worth) so I booted into OS9 to delete them.