How to DL Lion via dial-up

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If it cannot be purchased on a physical medium, how can peeps on dial-up connections out in the boondocks get Lion? Isn't the installation .dmg several gigs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yes it is several Gigs. I am too lazy to look it up but it's around 3.5 Gigs or so. I'd say that would take a long, long time. Solution: get off dial up. I'm not trying to be smart, but if you ever need something to push your hand to upgrade to broadband this is it and now's the time.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I never thought to consider whether or not the App Store handles restarting from a partial transfer properly if a transfer has been interrupted. That could be very important considering Lion would take around eight days to download via 56K modem, providing you don't try to do anything else with that limited bandwidth at the same time. That's a long, long time to hope for an uninterrupted modem signal.

Personally, I think I'd cope better living without indoor plumbing than without broadband.

If you simply can't get broadband where you are, but if you can afford a new laptop with wifi, you could always do your big downloads while taking advantage of a public hotspot, or while at work or visiting a friend. Even then, you might need a few hours -- I frankly can't remember how long it took for me to download Lion, but I downloaded it on the first day it was available, and I know it was definitely a lot slower than the ~45 minutes I might have expected under good conditions.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    For those who don't understand how cut off many parts of the US still are...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/us...pagewanted=all
  • Reply 4 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

If it cannot be purchased on a physical medium, how can peeps on dial-up connections out in the boondocks get Lion? Isn't the installation .dmg several gigs?

Apple has mentioned it will be available on a physical medium. Have no fear.

Sometime this month, apparently, for $69:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...in_august.html

"For users who do not have broadband access at home, work or school, Apple is also offering customers the ability to download the multi-gigabyte install at its retail stores immediately."
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

I never thought to consider whether or not the App Store handles restarting from a partial transfer properly if a transfer has been interrupted...

From my experience with Xcode 4.0.x it did not resume partial transfers. Kept starting from scratch.

Xcode 4.1 seemed to have been able to resume downloading.

For Lion, I paid about ~USD$30 in bandwidth fees because I used a new local 4G WiMax mobile Internet provider because I just couldn't stand waiting days on my useless government-owned telco DSL.

I didn't want to have to guess if partial transfers for Lion downloaded through the App Store could be resumed. So what I did was purchase Lion online from the App Store and then just use a torrent to download the Lion DMG. Torrents ensure easy resume and error-checking by design. Of course, I checked the build number, sha1 and md5.

For the record I don't torrent movies nowadays, and my Lion and Xcode (4.0, 4.1 is free for Lion users) were legitimately purchased through the App Store.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

For those who don't understand how cut off many parts of the US still are...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/us...pagewanted=all

Thanks, shetline.

We're all waiting for WiMax.

I don't understand why the roll-out is taking so long. WiMax was announced years ago!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Thanks, shetline.

We're all waiting for WiMax.

I don't understand why the roll-out is taking so long. WiMax was announced years ago!

WiMax is facing huge issues globally. I am currently working with a WiMax telco in South East Asia on a short contract. They seemed to have got it right. But as I understand Sprint and Clearwire in the US are having huge trouble with WiMax and LTE is banging on the door and will probably take over as the de facto 4G standard.

I also have no idea WTF happened to WiMax. It was supposed to be "the next greatest thing" after EDGE. Seems to have crumbled though.

The big issue now is devices drive telco adoption, not the other way round. There are hardly any WiMax devices, and Apple will probably never have a current-standard WiMax device.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Because everyone is doing LTE instead and WiMAX was dead before it got off the ground?

It's not happening. There won't be WiMAX networks anywhere.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because everyone is doing LTE instead and WiMAX was dead before it got off the ground?

It's not happening. There won't be WiMAX networks anywhere.

This one in Australia seems to be having trouble:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aust...-1225830670639