Silly iBook Modem Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can you use the built-in modem of a North American iBook 500 in the UK or Europe? I know that the physical plug is different and that I can get an adapter for that but do I also need some adapter for the signal/voltage? Can I fry the modem or is the built-in modem able to adapt to any phone line because it is a portable and more likely to be used in other countries?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by Retrograde:

<strong>Can you use the built-in modem of a North American iBook 500 in the UK or Europe? I know that the physical plug is different and that I can get an adapter for that but do I also need some adapter for the signal/voltage? Can I fry the modem or is the built-in modem able to adapt to any phone line because it is a portable and more likely to be used in other countries?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, the modem is the same everywhere so if you have an adapter you're all set.

Make sure to visit Scotland if you are in the UK.

J :cool:
  • Reply 2 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by jamiemarshall:

<strong>

Yeah, the modem is the same everywhere so if you have an adapter you're all set.

Make sure to visit Scotland if you are in the UK.

J :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's great, thanks for the information

In fact, I have already visited Scotland twice: I have seen Edinburgh twice as well as Glasgow and in between very briefly once. I feel rather sad that I haven't seen the Highlands yet or the coastal areas. I really look forward to going back and doing a proper visit some day!