G3 to DPG4

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I will soon be acquiring a Dual Processor G4 sans Hard Drive. I am currently running 10.1 on a G3.

If I just put the exsisting HD into the G4 will the os automatically detect that it is a Dual Processor G4? Or do I have to do some sort of configuration change?

any thoughts?? :confused:

(oops wrong forum, this should be in Genius Bar)

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: pepsi ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I would certainly think so.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Moved to Genius Bar.

I don't see why you would have to change any configurations or anything.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Your system on thet drive will detect the dual G4's. You shouldn't have to change anything. Just plug and play.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    You'll have to partition your drives in two so each CPU can use a drive.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    so consensus is that the OS will automatically detect the dual processors.

The reason I asked this question is because a number of years ago I had to reconfigure a unix kernel because I changed the network from 10base2 to 10baseT.

I figured processors would probably need that to.

I will let you all know what happens when I make the switch.

And I will be sure to repartition my Hard Drives (geez why didn't I think of that)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Yeah, OSX is nice in that you don't have to recompile or specially configure the kernel. [quote]And I will be sure to repartition my Hard Drives (geez why didn't I think of that)<hr></blockquote>You do realize that repartitioning entails initializing and destroying all the data on the drive, correct?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Yeah, OSX is nice in that you don't have to recompile or specially configure the kernel. You do realize that repartitioning entails initializing and destroying all the data on the drive, correct?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You do realize that he was kidding right?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    yeah, I realized he was kidding...

I guess I should have put in the &lt;sarcasm&gt;&lt;/sarcasm&gt; tags.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    pepsipepsi Posts: 55member
    had to start off of a system CD to reselect a startup disk...and the initial boot into X took a while....but ever since then its been great.

quite a difference between a g3 and two g4's.