How many computers can I use Lion on? Do I need to use them on one ID?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello,

My house has exactly 5 Mac's in it and I wish to upgrade all of these to Lion. In the past whenever I did an OS update I purchased the family pack instead of the standard edition which covered all 5 of the Mac's we own.

Am I correct that now the 10.7 Lion edition in the Mac App Store for $29 covers 5 computers or is there a separate family pack available? Is there now just one version which covers 5 computers?

The other question is how to go about the install. Two of the computers are in my home office but the other two belong to our children and when it comes to using the Mac App Store on all of those computers they are login into my Apple ID (me.com).

The 5th computer is my wife's though and that computer is using her Apple (me.com) ID since she makes her own purchases from the Mac App Store, iTunes, and has her own me.com email on it so her computer is the one that is unique.

Will the above present any problems? Will I be able to buy Lion and install it on the 4 computers on my ID and then have her buy her own copy for her computer or is there a way that I can get one version that goes on all 5 computers even though her computer is using a different ID for the Mac App Store?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    All of them, as long as they have access to the same Apple ID (they don't have to use exclusively the same ID). The easiest way is to download Lion once, and copy the bootable installer image to a USB stick using Disk Utility before you install, then you can install it on all four other computers. You will have to log out any other Apple IDs before you can install, and then log in your common Apple ID, then you can log that ID back out when you finish, and it won't matter one bit.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

All of them, as long as they have access to the same Apple ID (they don't have to use exclusively the same ID). The easiest way is to download Lion once, and copy the bootable installer image to a USB stick using Disk Utility before you install, then you can install it on all four other computers. You will have to log out any other Apple IDs before you can install, and then log in your common Apple ID, then you can log that ID back out when you finish, and it won't matter one bit.

Do you mean Mac cloning can solve the issue. Although I haven't tried this way but let me give a trial if it serves the purpose.

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raymondross View Post

Do you mean Mac cloning can solve the issue. Although I haven't tried this way but let me give a trial if it serves the purpose.

Thanks

What "issue"? Just DO it.