System 10: System Fonts

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello board! Well, although I feel this might be a bit lackluster, this IS my first post since the big void ended (registered Jan.2000) . . . and it is not even a opinion! (Anyone know who I am?Im sure you would understand . . )

I have searched far and wide. I have traveled to the ellusive Summit of the Genius at the recently opened Aspen Grove Apple Store. I have EMAILED MacNN twice . . . I cannot find enlightment to the only barrier that lies between System 10 and Photoshopping the GUI: The system fonts.

What are ALL the system fonts for OS 10? If anybody knows the answer to this astral question, they will be looked up upon forever as the only true Apple Genius.

Extra credit: Id they arent on the System (with Darwin in the works, who knows what atrocities lie in the system like theyre being no System fonts installed?), where can I aquire them?

Thanks

Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    On Mac OS X, they are on 3 different locations:

/users/username/library/fonts/

/library/fonts/

/system/library/fonts

Fonts in the 'Fonts' folders of blessed 'Classic' system folders are also searched.

The folder in the user library takes precedence over the other two.

You are not advised to put fonts in /system/library/fonts as Apple might move away from that, according to one of the guys in Apple's text technologies team.

By the way, OS X doesn't do auto-routing of the fonts to appropriate folders, while OS 9 will automatically put the fonts in the Fonts folder when you drag and drop them over the System Folder.

Fonts are supposedly scanned and loaded on every application launch, so you need not logout or restart in order to use them.