how do i know if my graphic card is AGP or PCI??????!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
how would I know if my graphics card, Rage 128 Pro on the first AGP G4s, is an AGP card

I ask this because if i want to upgrade to a radeon, then i can use the rage in another PCI slot,and bing-badda-boom!

TWO MONITORS!!!!!

can it be done, i fathom to think of that possible?

Also, this is conjunction with <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000076"; target="_blank">my other monitor related post</a>

any replys would be greatly appreciated, thanks

word :cool:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    enderender Posts: 353member
    I imagine it is an AGP card if it came in an AGP system. If the card only fits in one of the 4 slots (3 PCI, 1 AGP) then it is obviously an AGP card, vice versa.

Also, the Devices and Volumes section of the Apple System Profiler should list SLOT-A (AGP) on the PCI bus and if your Display Card is listed in that slot, it is AGP. If it is listed elsewhere, it is PCI.

Dual monitors is awesome. I have an AGP Radeon and a PCI Rage Pro in my DP 500 G4. I will never go back to a one monitor desktop, unless that one monitor is a 22" or greater LCD. I wouldn't dream of marring such an appearance with another 17" CRT.

What was fun was gathering 3 PCI Display cards and having quadruple monitors for a week. Kind of disorienting, but really fun.

What I pine for is a dual AGP tower. It might be somewhat pointless, as the 2nd monitor usually isn't used for intense graphics, but I it would help some tasks. Oh well. Pipe dreams probably.

-Ender
  • Reply 2 of 5
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Did you buy the G4 new from Apple, and is the currently installed Rage 128 the card it shipped with? If the answers to these questions are yes, then it's an AGP card.

If you feel like popping open your G4's case, it is easy to tell if your card is AGP or PCI by looking at the slot it's plugged into. On the original AGP ("Sawtooth") G4 Power Macs, there were three PCI and one AGP slot; of the four, the AGP slot was the one mounted closest to the G4's "hinge," on the far right of the motherboard if you're looking from the machine's rear.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    so, what do i do about dual graphics cards options&gt;
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Whether its PCI or AGP or not doesn't matter for what you are trying to do.

Even if it is PCI based, the stock video card won't swap over to another PCI slot. AGP obviously won't fit into a standard PCI slot. If you replace your stock Rage card with the Radeon you won't be able to use the Rage in the same Mac simultaneously. Crack it open and have a look see.

To hook up a dual monitor you'll either have to:

A. Get a dual display card.

B. Get a video card which will fit into a standard PCI slot.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Ender:

<strong>

... Also, the Devices and Volumes section of the Apple System Profiler should list SLOT-A (AGP) on the PCI bus and if your Display Card is listed in that slot, it is AGP. If it is listed elsewhere, it is PCI...</strong><hr></blockquote>

What he said.