Apple suppliers anticipate 'minimal' impact from Steve Jobs' resignation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
According to sources at Apple's major suppliers, including Foxconn and Quanta, Steve Jobs' resignation as CEO of the company will have "little impact" on orders due to his successor Tim Cook's wealth of operations experience.

DigiTimes reported on Friday that industry sources claim suppliers don't expect much disruption to the Apple supply chain because Cook "was already responsible for manufacturing-related business."

The insiders did, however, suggest that the company's "brand recognition, and creativity and innovation," could be affected. That impact would depend on whether Apple can find "another driver of innovation" in the same vein as Jobs, the report noted sources as saying. Apple's rivals, including HTC and Samsung, could find an opportunity to catch up to the iPhone maker during the transition, the sources went on to speculate.

Jobs tendered his resignation on Wednesday, writing in a letter that the day had come when he "could no longer meet [his] duties and expectations as Apple's CEO." He had been on medical leave since January, though he maintained a visible presence at the company, even reportedly working a full day at the Apple headquarters on Wednesday.

As Apple's new chief, Tim Cook, who has been lauded as one of the world's top logistics experts, is said to have sent an email to employees reassuring them that the company's "best years lie ahead."

"I want you to be confident that Apple is not going to change. I cherish and celebrate Apple's unique principles and values," he reportedly wrote. "Steve [Jobs] built a company and culture that is unlike any other in the world and we are going to stay true to that?it is in our DNA."

Wall Street has generally responded positively to the news, noting that Apple's stock is unlikely to see a severe drop because investors have been anticipating Jobs' resignation. One analyst compared Jobs to innovative business leaders Henry Ford and Walt Disney, whose companies carried on long after their departures.

Shares of Apple closed at $373.72, down $2.46 or 0.65 percent, on Thursday, having recovered from a temporary after-hours drop of $19.08 on Wednesday evening.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I would think there would be no impact on the suppliers.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    WTF? Why would there be any impact???

Oh?? Steve Jobs resigned? Let's cancel all those millions of iPhone orders okay??
  • Reply 3 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Oh?? Steve Jobs resigned? Let's cancel all those millions of iPhone orders okay??

• Reply 4 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I am glad to see the mature market has taken this all in its stride having already discounted AAPL due to Steve's illness I feel. It's a shame IMHO Steve didn't word the letter more along the lines of 'I am moving from CEO to Chairman' to allow more time for creative thinking and giving Tim more hands on with the day to day stuff, rather than 'I am resigning as CEO ... " It might have lessened some of the negative news and silly stuff like this OP.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would think there would be no impact on the suppliers.

Especially when Tim and his VP were the geniuses behind the amazing Apple supply chain success story in the first place.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Especially when Tim and his VP were the geniuses behind the amazing Apple supply chain success story in the first place.

something more along the lines of - thanks to Steve's innovative direction and pioneering hardware and software and marketing etc - the company has been launched on a path that enables further growth to be maintained by others who are equally talented but previously not given the recognition they so richly deserve - oh and one more thing - Tim and Co have ALREADY been running the company under Steve's guidance for the past few years and Steve is stepping down now because the students are ready to take over as the masters - and we should all expect to see Apple continue to excel under Tim Cook (he may even start wearing mock turtle neck sweaters)

or something along those lines

(and why is it a "mock" turtleneck? is it poking fun at a real turtleneck? could someone not come up with a better name than that?)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's rivals, including HTC and Samsung, could find an opportunity to catch up to the iPhone maker during the transition, the sources went on to speculate.

These are the most asinine assumptions I have read yet. Because Jobs is stepping back from CEO to Chairman of the Board (he's not quite dead yet!) Apple products are going to start to suck while simultaneously HTC and Samsung will suddenly start producing well-rounded and exceptional products?

Who were these "sources"? PR flacks for the competitors mentioned? Talk about missing the point!