Future iMac Releases

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
First time poster, didn't see any threads in this forum specifically on this topic, though I may have missed (in which case, I apologize in advance). There was a thread labeled something with G6/A6, but the thread was largely flames and reactions to the flames.

I am looking to move for the first time to a Mac, think the current iMac is very nice and a good value for the money relative to the PC competition, but don't want to buy now and then have buyer's remorse when something revolutionary comes out in 3 months. I understand from the little I've read that Apple doesn't really announce anything in advance about hardware releases, so any "news" would be speculative.

That said, just wondering what is rumored/suspected in terms of (1) timing of future releases and (2) likely changes to be included in those. Is there anything authoritative/reliable that is known on this front, or is it all speculative? Also, when a new release occurs, what happens to the current models- do the prices get reduced significantly or at all?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Well, welcome, long name.

Quote:

a thread labeled something with G6/A6,

Oh, you saw that, did you.

It's nowhere near definitive, but check out the Buyer's Guide on MacRumors.com. It's great for determining product life cycles. And, as always, watch the rumors. If there's hubbub about a new product, obviously wait a while before you buy (unless it's an absolute need; then of course you should buy whatever's current when it's current. They're all great machines; they'll last you for years and years).
  • Reply 2 of 11
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    I think, since the latest iMac was only released in May, I don't think there will be another iMac until Ivy Bridge is released. So don't worry about it.

I would be very surprised if there was another SandyBridge iMac released this year/early next year.

In terms of your second question; likely inclusions could be:
    • Ivy Bridge

• Integrated graphics chips + Upgraded discrete graphic cards

• Slimmer form-factor

• More RAM

• USB 3

• Perhaps more Thunderbolt ports

But that's probably just me wanting a lot. XD
  • Reply 3 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

• Ivy Bridge

• Slimmer form-factor

• More RAM

• USB 3

I agree with everything you've listed here but USB 3. And that's only because I don't know any of the particulars of the Ivy Bridge chipsets and if they require USB 3 ports (or even have them yet). If the former, well, it's a given, then (unless Apple goes and does a self-limiting thing like they've done before and doesn't include the 3.0 ports). If the latter, obviously we wouldn't have them. I just don't know enough about Ivy Bridge to be able to agree or disagree.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I agree with everything you've listed here but USB 3. And that's only because I don't know any of the particulars of the Ivy Bridge chipsets and if they require USB 3 ports (or even have them yet). If the former, well, it's a given, then (unless Apple goes and does a self-limiting thing like they've done before and doesn't include the 3.0 ports). If the latter, obviously we wouldn't have them. I just don't know enough about Ivy Bridge to be able to agree or disagree.

AIR, USB 3 is natively supported by Ivy Bridge. I hope it's included, the only reason I see it not being included is that they will be seriously trying to push Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

I think, since the latest iMac was only released in May, I don't think there will be another iMac until Ivy Bridge is released. So don't worry about it.

I would be very surprised if there was another SandyBridge iMac released this year/early next year.

• Ivy Bridge

• Slimmer form-factor

• More RAM

• USB 3

They should include USB 3. I don't see usb devices going away and eventually more things will be made for the newest standard. USB 2 took a little while to catch on as well.

Regarding it being slimmer the imac is using desktop class processors and they have had issues with heat causing long term screen issues in the past. If anything I wish it would gain better heat dissipation rather than a slimmer form factor. Then again that doesn't make it look cool right ?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Thanks to all for the insights. Given that I am not likely to need more power/speed, etc. than the current generation will provide (most intensive app will be editing hi-def home video, but nothing Spielbergian) and I like the look and feel of the current model, sounds like I can be very happy for years and not feel like I've missed the boat. I think the USB 3 could be really nice, but right now, I don't actually have any devices with EITHER USB 3 or Thunderbolt (seems like it could be a while before I have a use for Thunderbolt).

One of the competitors I looked at was the new Sony L Series (had pretty good experiences with 2 prior Sony Vaio desktops). It is both touchscreen and also comes with a 3D option. Haven't worked with either, and I get the impression (again from my very limited reading) that most purists think touchscreen is not a good way to interface with a desktop computer and not something likely to come on the iMac, but not sure what people think about 3D (I tend to see limited value near-term, at least for my personal tastes). Any thought on either of these features in future iMacs?

May go buy today if I can beat the storms.

Probably not the right forum, but any quick thoughts on whether any sort of extended warranty is a worthwhile investment?

Thanks again!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tchguruw/opinionsaboutevrythng View Post

I don't actually have any devices with EITHER USB 3 or Thunderbolt (seems like it could be a while before I have a use for Thunderbolt).

Oh, you will. And you'll be thankful you have Thunderbolt in the future if you buy a current Mac.

Quote:

Any thought on either of these features in future iMacs?

A touchscreen will never exist on a personal computer from Apple under the current definition OF the phrase "personal computer". All desktop computing and all laptop computing will have to be rewritten before Apple does anything with touchscreens above the level of the iPad.

3D is a gimmick. It will never happen even after the touchscreen revolution. Sony wastes their time with it because they're the Blu-ray? trying to think of a better word than 'whores'.

Quote:

Probably not the right forum, but any quick thoughts on whether any sort of extended warranty is a worthwhile investment?

I don't know a single person who bought AppleCare and regretted it.

I don't know a single person who didn't feel their third-party warranty wasn't a waste, though.

So definitely AppleCare if you feel the need.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Thanks again for the comments. I bought the higher-level of the 2 standard 21.5 inch iMac models yesterday. Great store experience at the Apple store here in Arlington, VA. Sort of like the consumer electronics equivalent of what I imagine buying a Ferrari may be like. Knowledgeable guy, no pressure, spent easily an hour talking with me and answering questions. Got the AppleCare and the extra $100 program they offer with unlimited in-store training classes and personalized 1 on 1 "tutoring" sessions for 1 year.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Thanks again for the comments. I bought the higher-level of the 2 standard 21.5 inch iMac models yesterday. Great store experience at the Apple store here in Arlington, VA. Sort of like the consumer electronics equivalent of what I imagine buying a Ferrari may be like. Knowledgeable guy, no pressure, spent easily an hour talking with me and answering questions. Got the AppleCare and the extra $100 program they offer with unlimited in-store training classes and personalized 1 on 1 "tutoring" sessions for 1 year.

Great Hope you enjoy the experience
  • Reply 10 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Congratulations on your purchase and enjoy your all new iMac!

Just one comment on something you said previously:

Quote:

Haven't worked with either, and I get the impression (again from my very limited reading) that most purists think touchscreen is not a good way to interface with a desktop computer and not something likely to come on the iMac...

It is not a purist's point; not at all. It is a completely practical and ergonomic issue here. As long as we humans keep the physical form we have today, and the desktop displays stand vertically, touchscreens make little to no sense at all. Maybe they would be useful for some limited applications (we see them in shops for example) but they cannot replace what we have now in the desktop setting. Just imagine coding or writing a report of tens or hundreds of pages by touching a vertical display in order to access a virtual keyboard.

Quote:

but not sure what people think about 3D (I tend to see limited value near-term, at least for my personal tastes). Any thought on either of these features in future iMacs?

In my opinion 3D should be completely avoided in the desktop. I know that there are people unable to have a proper 3D image of the world because of, otherwise, common vision problems (my wife is one of them). So what then, all those people will be left out in the cold if a massive transition to 3D displays occurs? Better not, and I don't see any of these technologies coming to the iMac before long.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    You should be able to enjoy that machine for a long while. Do make sure to implement a backup plan.

Quote: