iPhoto question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

I recently bought my first mbp, and am having a problem with iPhoto.

Since I jump from my work pc, home pc, and now mbp I keep all of my music and photos on an external hard drive. It helps me keep my computer memory clean and allows me to easily fi nd my items on each computer.

When I set up my mbp I tunes it took 8-10 hrs to load my music and organize it (I have 120gb of music). I was able to get that going without any major problems. But every time I try to import my photos it copies all of my photos onto my mbp hard dr I've. I would like to keep them on the external if possible, but have iPhoto look to my photo file on the external.

I have unchecked "copy photos to hd" but it still does it. Any ideas on how to direct it?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Hold down the "option" key while you start iPhoto (with you external attached). It will then give you the Orion of pointing it to the external library. Which will become the default (unless you later start iPhoto without the ext hd attached... Then it'll revert to the internal hdd).

You can then delete the iPhoto file within the "photos folder" on your internal.

(same thing works for iTunes.)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Hold down the "option" key while you start iPhoto (with you external attached). It will then give you the Orion of pointing it to the external library. Which will become the default (unless you later start iPhoto without the ext hd attached... Then it'll revert to the internal hdd).

You can then delete the iPhoto file within the "photos folder" on your internal.

(same thing works for iTunes.)

Thanksbi will try it later on
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StageHandRy View Post

Thanksbi will try it later on

still having problems. when i try and select the file folder, it will not open the entire folder. it just opens up the subfolders. each time i try to select one file inside of it, it its grayed out.